Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7.65 Argentine 200g cast data

Thanks Pb4me, that is useful indeed!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

Banned

the 314299 is a good bullet in the 7.65 argie.
    if it makes the 314 it is supposed to and if the nose makes 304.
    16 to 18 grs of 2400 is a really good load, as are anything mentioned for the 308.
    I found a really nice H-322 load but it needs a filler and most won't use them.

Banned

Gunfreak25, As promised in a pm I got out and shot the 7.65 Argentine again. The rifle is a pretty minty 1909 Argentine. It has a .3110 groove. Bullets were the 215 grain 45 2.1 30-06 bullet except Accurate Molds cut the blocks for me. Alloy is 50-50 water quenched with no additional tin. Powder is Alliant RL-22.

Rifle: 1909 Argentine
    Groove: .3110
    Brass: 30-06 Rem sized down to 7.65 Argentine with no special work done to it.
    Powder: Alliant RL-22
    Charge: 45.0 grains
    Primer: CCI Large Rifle Standard (I don't like them)
    Temperature: 44 Degrees
    Humidity: 43%
    Wind: Less then 5 mph head on.
    Attitude: 2200 feet
    Shots Fired: 10
    Average Velocity: 2239 fps
    ES: 68
    SD: 25
    Group Size: 1 inch
    Lube: Soap Lube
    Gas Checks: Hornady
    Chrono Distance: 9 feet 1.5 inches

ES and SD not quite where I like them, but it shot very decent. Being a 215 grain bullet the rifle has a little bit more recoil punch then lower weight bullets. Velocity is decent for a bullet of that weight from a 7.65. There were not fliers because I had to resight the rifle for 100 yards after having the scope and mount off it. The soap lube normally doesn't have a first shot flier and it's not affected by temperature changes. This shot exactly the same as it did previously recorded on my Excell spreadsheet.
    Last edited by vzerone; 12-08-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Added Data

Boolit Grand Master

Picture of target?
    Charter Member #148

Banned

That load actually outdoes the original heavy bullet load for the 1891 cartridge. I wish that Accurate could have cut the mold with the originall more pointed nose, but he's stuck on that .180 meplat. I will say that the flat nose might be a better hunting bullet.

Would you list the charges used with RL22?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfreak25 View Post
    Would you list the charges used with RL22?

Dang I knew I forgot something. I'll add it after telling you here. It's 45.0 grains and it fills up just into the shoulder, but not past it. Shooting it gave no indication of high pressure and the case look really good with no excessive web expansion definition. Athough primer are not a good means of judging pressure the primers still had rounded corners, not excessively flattened.

Thanks for the info. If I can duplicate your results I'll be happy as a pig in poop. That load does indeed out perform the original 1890s loading.

Banned

What bullets molds do you have in that weight range GunFreak27? In my records I shot the 30 Sil and I have recorded it did even better group wise, but with the same charge of RL-22 of 45 grains it as lower by 100 fps. Probably because the heavier bullet helped that slow powder burn better. Although I have it, I haven't tried the 314299. I'll have to see if I have any already cast.

Don't forget that my bore is in mint condition. I don't thing this rifle was ever fired that much. With that said I'll say again my groove is .3110 dead on. I've not see a 7.65 with that tight of a groove. Just saying a fatter bore/groove may make some difference.

I hope it shoots for you.

Just the 314299 as well. 206 grains with quenched WW alloy with a good bit of tin.
    Mine slugs solid a solid .312 and is also in mint condition, with little evidence of any ammo been run through it much. I sized to
    .313 and lubed with NRA 50/50.

Last edited by Gunfreak25; 12-08-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Banned

Just the 314299 as well. 206 grains with quenched WW alloy with a good bit of tin.
    Mine slugs solid a solid .312 and is also in mint condition, with little evidence of any ammo been run through it much. I sized to
    .313 and lubed with NRA 50/50.

If you get any leading eliminate the tin. You really don't need it with just wheelweight. Like said mine were 50-50 not tin and water dropped. Bore just had powder carbon in it. I also size mine .313

I'm assuming your seating as long as the mag allows?

Banned

I'm assuming your seating as long as the mag allows?

I'm seating so the bullet doesn't jam into the rifling or forcing cone and I can extract a loaded round with debulleting. The OAL of seating that way easily lets it fit my magazine.

Banned

I can't get to the rifling in any of my Argies with the 299 I just let it jump.
    I have one of these to fill in the throat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31-205B-D.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	209130

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I can't get to the rifling in any of my Argies with the 299 I just let it jump.
    I have one of these to fill in the throat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31-205B-D.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	209130
    Probably why I don't have any loads for the 299 on my spread sheet. The 06 bullet I'm using is self-aligning thus the reason I load it back some.

I loaded a few test rounds yesterday with 15g unique with a light crimp. No idea on velocity. Light, not too loud. Anyone have unique data for Krag, Argie or 303 loads? If I could maintain say 1500 fps I don't see a need for more.

Calculator says 1500 fps with my setup yields 20 feet of drop at 500 yards with still 300 ft lbs of energy. It certainly has enough adjustment in the sight ladder to compensate.

Boolit Grand Master

You won't get any leading with the added tin and the NRA 50/50 lube. I seat the 314299 in my 7.65 Argie cases so the front of the case mouth just covers the front lube groove. Never found a need to crimp.

A few days back I was shooting my scout "sporter" M91, Evita, (top rifle in photo) with the 311200 cast of COWWs + 2% tin AC'd loaded in cases formed from R-P 8x57 brass. That's an easy form, just FL size and trim. Used a WLR primer and 26.5 gr H4895 with a 3/4 - 1 gr Dacron filler. Ten shots chronographed 1893 fps (15' from muzzle) and the group ran 1.65". That load holds very well to 500 yards.

Attachment 209766
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

The sportsmans warehouse here had all Alliant powder 20% off so I picked up 5lbs of RL22 and a 1000 gas checks.

Stay tuned

On a side note I found my 7.65 Argie die unscrewed 1 full turn makes a perfect 303 British neck sizer. I love when hobbies collide.

Banned

On a side note I found my 7.65 Argie die unscrewed 1 full turn makes a perfect 303 British neck sizer. I love when hobbies collide.

Well gosh GunFreak25, you should have just asked!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast