Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .375 H&H - Choices, choices... decisions, decisions

I bought a new CZ .375 H&H about 10 years ago for no real reason other than wanting a big caliber and a bucket list dream of going to Africa some day. I bought detachable scope rings for it and also a detachable peep for it, changed out the front blade sight as well. Its a great gun and I have only shot J words in it 235 GN, played around with different loads of RL-15. CZ makes a great gun for the money and they have equal customer service. I would like to get the same gun in .458 Win

Boolit Master
    Funny that you should bring up the Patriot, in .375 Ruger. A friend had one, brand new never fired, that I got to put the first few rounds through. That light weight rifle, with full power factory loads, is no fun to shoot! I'm not recoil shy, but there are some stock configurations that do absolutely nothing to reduce felt recoil. The Weatherby Mark V that I had, in .375 H&H, was a pussycat compared to the Patriot.
    I've shot rifles chambered in .300, .338, and .458 Win Mag, .300 RUM, .416 Weatherby, .404 Jefferies, .358 Norma Mag, 45-70, etc...
    and the only other rifle to beat me up like the Patriot, was a Ruger M77 chambered in .338 Win Mag, with the skeleton (or boat paddle) stock. I do appreciate the suggestion, though!

One of the reasons that I'm looking for the .375 H&H, is that I have a ton of brass, a couple sets of dies, and of course lots of boolits for that caliber!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

You mentioned .358 Norma; my brothers traded one back & forth for years and I consider it to be the best magnum cartridge I've used. I fully understand the need/want of a .375 H&H though. Today's Black Friday- get a Remington 700 adl/sps whatever in 7 or .300 mag and rebarrel it.

Boolit Grand Master

Again, beware of possible feed problems with magazines for minimal taper 7 and 300 mag cases when converting/rebarrel to the tapered 375 case.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    You mentioned .358 Norma; my brothers traded one back & forth for years and I consider it to be the best magnum cartridge I've used. I fully understand the need/want of a .375 H&H though. Today's Black Friday- get a Remington 700 adl/sps whatever in 7 or .300 mag and rebarrel it.
    That 358 Norma is an underated cartridge. It is indeed a very good round.

Right now I don't think I'd by a Remington anything. They seemed to have gone downhill pretty bad.

Boolit Master
    The 1917 will require work on the rails in the receiver and well as lengthening the magazine box to work with the 375 H&H.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Again, beware of possible feed problems with magazines for minimal taper 7 and 300 mag cases when converting/rebarrel to the tapered 375 case.
    Yes; it would be interesting to know if Remington uses a different magazine follower and box for the .375 in the M700 as well as the limited edition Classic .300 H&H.

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    Savage MADE a 375 H&H back when. A 30-06 length action (what you have) will not work w/o much modification.

If you want velocity, shop up an A-Bolt with the 26" bbl. Mine gets 3000+ with 235 TSXs.

If you want fail safe, buy a CZ.

If you like broken collar bones, get a No. 1 Tropical.

Best buy is a Remington Zasteva (mauser). (Discontinued)

Great cast boolit cartridge has even killed Buffs with lead !

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Yes; it would be interesting to know if Remington uses a different magazine follower and box for the .375 in the M700 as well as the limited edition Classic .300 H&H.
    I had a 700 Classic 300 H&H rebored to 400 H&H. It worked perfectly. H&H designed cartridges always feed, very important when the animal can kill you.

Boolit Master
    I just put up a want to buy or trade ad, in the Swappin' and Sellin' section. I think that's my only reasonable option at this point.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Here's one of the hard to find Savages in 375 H&H made that way. Stainless too.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/14083173

A NIB Browning:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/722085945

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/719458008

Any decent one will cast about a grand.

Changing a cheaper rifle to 375 H&H will be questionable and you'll never recover your costs.

If you can find a Whitworth Express Mark 10 Mauser those were really really nice rifles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    A .375 might be found cheap if you have 15 or 20 years to troll for one. Otherwise cough up the money or do without.

I suspect that you can buy a push feed M70 Win worth the money or a Whitworth Mauser.
    Some gun makers can cram a .416 Rugby in a 98 Mauser.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    The 1917 will require work on the rails in the receiver and well as lengthening the magazine box to work with the 375 H&H.
    My P14 needed work on the rails and shortening of the feed ramp, for the .300H&H, but being a .303, no work on the bolt face. I soldered up a complete new magazine box, without the pressed-in grooves the .303 gets, which helped. None of it was very demanding work.

I think I have figured out that the OP doesn't really want to buy anything but enjoys chatting about and shooting down any suggestions.

A nice wood stocked X-Bolt for 830 bucks is a bargain. Buying and converting anything would cost as much, be unreliable and have a terrible resale.

You might find a well used Whitworth or Zasteva for less but both are crude compared to a X-Bolt.

I'll stick with my No. 1 with cast boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifers View Post
    I think I have figured out that the OP doesn't really want to buy anything but enjoys chatting about and shooting down any suggestions.

A nice wood stocked X-Bolt for 830 bucks is a bargain. Buying and converting anything would cost as much, be unreliable and have a terrible resale.

You might find a well used Whitworth or Zasteva for less but both are crude compared to a X-Bolt.

I'll stick with my No. 1 with cast boolits.
    And I think that you don't have a clue...

I started this post with some ideas, and I have responded to those that have helped, and also responded with what I've learned since the original post. In addition, I put up that I posted a "want to buy/want to trade" ad, to find something suitable.

I do enjoy chatting, but as far as shooting down suggestions, I stated right from the beginning "Gunbroker and the common retailers aren't helping me much either, since everything I've found there has been very expensive (my opinion!)."
    $870 for a rifle may seem reasonable to you, and may very well be from a value point of view - but it is quite a bit more than I can afford, or want to spend. That would kind of be the reason for this discussion thread...

You're welcome to your opinion, but making it by trying to put me down, is not appreciated.

Don

As your "budget" is a mystery, real help is hard to offer.

You can't buy a Remington 783, Ruger American or TC Compass in 375 H&H ---- all entry level rifles.

Unless you have talent and a shop, you can't modify and military rifle and have a safe reliable gun for less than the Browning.

As I said:"You might find a well used Whitworth or Zasteva for less but both are crude compared to a X-Bolt."

I'd like a $20,000 ZO7 too but they don't exist anymore than $300 375 H&Hs.

Here's a good solid rifle for $613 with free shipping, you'll never do better !

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...nd+Magnum+24+3

Boolit Master
    It really doesn't matter why he has a budget, BTDT many times. I would guess the budget is in the <$500 range based on new barrel for a Savage.

Lots of ideas for that caliber gun, but, in the end it might be better for a new barrel on the Savage (if the cartridge fits your action). If you do the rest of the work on the 1917 it might be cheap enough for you, but, might end up being close to cost of new gun.

I have come to like the Savage platform for a number of reasons so I'd probably go that route.

Boolit Buddy
    Don - Keep an eye out, it may take a while and some good luck, but I hope you find what your looking for! I lucked into a CZ550 American Safari in 375 H&H, about 10 or so years ago. Always wanted one, zero need for it, and the timing was perfect - seller posted it on a forum, I had some fun money - done deal for $700 shipped. The seller said it was his back up rifle for an African Buffalo hunt, he sighted it in, but never uncased it in Africa. Similar to what Duckey posted at the top of the page, I've had fun with it and Speer 235's and cast. Not really enjoyable off of the bench with factory 300 gr stuff, but handloads are a bunch of fun. Just my personal opinion, if you can find a decent one used for a good price, you'll always be able to resell it later, without losing too much or any money. I think you'd be far ahead going with a factory rifle. The reason I like it mostly, is that it seems the rifle was made for the cartridge, it's big, heavy and very well built, unlike other rifles, where its just another caliber in the line up. The only change I'd like to make to it, is to add a nice style barrel band, but I can't justify the cost, as it's just a range rifle, that I don't even put a sling on! I probably have about 200 rds thru it, since I've owned it. There is something special about it that keeps me from selling it, even though it has been a few years since I've shot it. If time is on your side and you can bank some money while keeping an eye out, I hope that luck comes your way - Good luck in your search. Bill in MA

I'll try again.

1. A Savage 300 Winmag action will not fit a 375 H&H. It's built for 3.34" OAL cartridges NOT 3.6". By the time you fix everything to end up with a cobbled up, unreliable rifle, you could have bought the Vanguard. Savage did make a 375 H&H rifle, a lot different animal than a 300 winmag. They no longer make it ---- wonder why ?

2. The fellow who bought the CZ years ago pad more than the Vanguard. Given inflation, the CZ's current price of $1000 is less than $700 ten years ago.

3. If you are contemplating converting a P 14 or P 17, you should invest in some classic gunsmithing books from 1945-1960 to see what a massive project that is. After tons of work you will still end up with a big heavy rifle with no resale value.

4. Here's another nice one that may or may not sell for $750. But you should avoid as the extractor will break---laffin http://www.gunbroker.com/item/723574351

Nice chat thread with no outcome.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast