Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: .375 H&H - Choices, choices... decisions, decisions

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Hmm, intriguing. So, find a barely used RUM rifle for cheap, add .375 barrel, and you're set?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    That's where this project was headed.

One thing to watch for when doing switch barrels on Savage actions - there are 2 different thread diameters for the barrel to action interface. Small shank and large shank. Small shank is 1.055" x 20tpi, and large shank is 1.120" x 20tpi
    The barrel you buy has to match the barrel shank diameter that you are replacing. This is complicated by the fact that the RUM calibers were mostly large shank - but not all. The rifle I just got, and the barrel that I found, are incompatible. I understood that the 111 action was all small shank, bu that is not the case. I just measured it, and it is definitely a large shank action.
    Of course the .375 H&H barrel that I bought is a small shank (measured and verified...)

Time for a new plan!

Like I said, I'll post updates as the project moves along, but I already have a model 110 that started life as a .300 Win Mag and is now a .458 Win Mag, so I'm expecting good things!! Just not sure how soon I'm going to get there now.............................
    Last edited by obssd1958; 12-29-2017 at 03:42 AM.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Hmm, intriguing. So, find a barely used RUM rifle for cheap, add .375 barrel, and you're set?
    If its a M700 Rem probably need to switch out the magazine box and follower for the 375 parts for the tapered three six bit cases to feed.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    That's where this project was headed.

One thing to watch for when doing switch barrels on Savage actions - there are 2 different thread diameters for the barrel to action interface. Small shank and large shank. Small shank is 1.055" x 20tpi, and large shank is 1.120" x 20tpi
    The barrel you buy has to match the barrel shank diameter that you are replacing. This is complicated by the fact that the RUM calibers were mostly large shank - but not all. The rifle I just got, and the barrel that I found, are incompatible. I understood that the 111 action was all small shank, bu that is not the case. I just measured it, and it is definitely a large shank action.
    Of course the .375 H&H barrel that I bought is a small shank (measured and verified...)

Time for a new plan!

Like I said, I'll post updates as the project moves along, but I already have a model 110 that started life as a .300 Win Mag and is now a .458 Win Mag, so I'm expecting good things!! Just not sure how soon I'm going to get there now.............................
    Sounds like this is going in the same direction as most of my projects. Could you just sell or trade the small shank barrel for a large shank? If the action is ready to go that seems like the best thing to do.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Don why don't you just get one of those RemWinMarlin Magno's in 50 bmg and be done with it. Might be a bit heavy but nothing will stand up to it if you do your part. Ha Ha Me I would just go and get a barret at $6000 a copy and a pallet of 50 bmg and be in heaven until either I ran out of ammo or the bills came in. By the way .375 bullets in lead of around 300-350 in weight are fun to shoot.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Banned
    Have a machinist turn you out a sleeve - threaded small shank on inside, large shank on outside. Red locktite it in and you're set.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    I know this isn't a 375 H&H magnum, but this is a dang good deal on Gunboards. Here's the link.

LINK REMOVED
    No Kidding! That's a great deal for everything that he is including!

I do already have a .458 Win Mag, but must admit - I have only run my 45-70 level handloads through it. It's a heavy barrel, threaded onto the 110 action that I have spoken of previously. Midway put the barrel kit on sale a few years back, and although I had no particular use for the caliber at the time, I thought that the day might come that I could actually go to Africa and use it. So I bought it!
    Things have changed, time passes, and it's likely that I won't go - but it eats nothing, costs nothing to keep, and it's fun to shoot!!
    Pretty much the same for the .375 - no particular need, but the one's I've had were fun to shoot, and I would like to have one again.

Ronald,
    I don't know if that's even possible. I'm not a machinist, and I don't play one on TV , but .065 seems like not enough material to put threads on both sides.
    Some of the avenues that I'm exploring include just buying a brand new barrel from one of the barrel makers. I can get a Shilen barrel from Northland Shooters Supply, up to 26″ – Chrome Moly Match for $299
    or
    E. R. Shaw, 4140 Chrome Moly Steel - "Matte or Polish Blued" $233
    and of course, I am still watching the classifieds for a used large shank .375 H&H.

If I sell the small shank barrel, then I'm half way there!
    Last edited by obssd1958; 01-01-2018 at 02:08 AM. Reason: fixed post after link was removed

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Banned
    Heck, that little ? Just put it in with JB Weld and you'll be all set.

Banned
    Ronald I would want the correct fitting barrel. I don't care to jury rig things.

Boolit Master
    shdwlkr,
    I wish I would have had the cash to buy Bruce B's .50 BMG. That thing was fun to shoot!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234