RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Repackbox

Thread: cross bolts on the cz550fs in 9.3X62

cross bolts on the cz550fs in 9.3X62

I have noticed that, unlike the cz550's in 375h&h and up, which have to crossbolts through the action, the 9.3X62 does not. I was thinking that it would be possible to install them, to protect the stock from cracking, and otherwise making for a more sturdy rifle in general. please let me know if this is possible? is it simple or a gunsmith deal? thanks a lot!-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    You can install a cross bolt to strengthen the stock at the recoil lug or at the rear action screw if you desire.
    A hardwood dowel is a simple fix then inletted to fit what is going to rest against it.
    But threadded Metal crossbolts take a little more skill to get them lined up on a finished stock.
    But can be done with the right equipment and time.

ok, because in the future if I convert it to a 416 ruger, it will probably need them, or at least one. I intend to do a lot of shooting in the 9.3 barrel before I do that. ik just wondered if it would be a good idea since I intend on shooting 286gr boolits to 2200fps.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    They aren't hard to do, but are not a fail safe. I had one rifle with double cross bolts, that still split. A good idea with a heavy recoil rifle, though.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

how much, on average, would a gunsmith charge to do 2 crossbolts? or maybe just one through the bedding block if that's the best place?

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    I have noticed that, unlike the cz550's in 375h&h and up, which have to crossbolts through the action, the 9.3X62 does not. I was thinking that it would be possible to install them, to protect the stock from cracking, and otherwise making for a more sturdy rifle in general. please let me know if this is possible? is it simple or a gunsmith deal? thanks a lot!-Travis

The CZ-550 heavies don't have 2 crossbolts through the action.

They do have 2 recoil lugs, though................

The primary CB is located in the wood under the receiver ring, behind the receiver's recoil lug.

The 2nd on the .375 H&H Safari I had was a 2nd recoil lug inletted into the barrel channel forward of the chamber, which was integral with a steel strap the was secured at the rear by the front action screw.

I though it was a neat/fast/inexpensive way to add extra recoil support.

The only thing mine needed was to move the front QD sling stud off the stock/forend to a barrel band ( I cutoff a .375 case head & inletted it flush into the FE wood where the factory QD had been.).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Talley sells rifle stock cross bolts.Brownell's used to sell a cross bolt drilling fixture but it is not on their website now.An internet search came up with plans for building a fixture.A drilling fixture makes the job much easier.

Boolit Master
    I just make a drilling fixture out of 1x4 Poplar and my drill press.
    It secures the stock and lines up the holes where I want them.
    I recently showed a friend what I used, and he made one to fix a cracked stock for his wifes 30-06 Remington.
    He fixed the crack and did two 5/8" wood Dowels epoxied in to reinforce it and keep the stock from cracking down the middle again.
    He did an excellent job for the first go at it.

I really like how themilitary bolt action's crossbolts look, like the mosin nagant, and theres even one in my sks

Boolit Master
    The Round crossbolts with nuts on Both ends are easy to make.
    And if placed correctly, you can then Machine or File a flat to back up your recoil lug.
    If you try and make a square one, with nuts on the ends, you have to be Dead on to get it to line up to the recoil lug.
    Or install the crossbolt, then Glass bed in any space between the cross bolt and your recoil lug.
    There is more than one way to skin a cat.
    Find you an old Beater rifle to work on and perfect your skills.
    Even if it is an old 22 single shot from a yard sale.
    That is how I started, and am still shooting many of the first Experimental Projects that I built 35 years ago.

sound advice LAGS, thanks.

Mill or dremel out a dog bone trough in the wood behind the recoil lug recess and acraglas in a steel rod. Shored up and invisible and plenty strong for a 9.3x62! I did this 20 years ago on a laminated .338 model 70 for a friend and it's still good to go. His had split between the lug and mag well. Just a thought!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

hate to ask, but whats a dogbone trough? and lengthwise or across? lol sometime things need to be spelled out for me, or in this case, drawn out!

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    hate to ask, but whats a dogbone trough? and lengthwise or across? lol sometime things need to be spelled out for me, or in this case, drawn out!
    I should have said a slot shaped like a hammer with a head on both ends. I use a dremel tool with a large dental burr and the correct size steel rod ( broken drill bit or cutoff masonry nail) Pour in the bedding compund then poke the rod down in it. Have the stock level in the cradle and scrape off the excess level with the action flat.

Boolit Master
    installing all thread rod with acraglass and glass bedding all recoil points is the classic low dollar fix and can be done by anyone. getting the bearing right on flat faced steel crossbolts requires good planning.

now, with the added thickness of the fiberglass in mind, when bedding a rifle, does wood have to be removed where the fiberglass will go, so that it will end up the same dimensions? and I never thought about all thread, if I could find some nice, female flat headed (fittings?) for the ends, it would make it more visually appealing.

Use one from a 98 Mauser military stock. Honestly Rebel, I wouldn't bother with it. If the 9.3 needed one I think CZ would have used one. I shot my 9.3 550 American a bunch and never had a problem.