Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Size 1911 v. Lightweight Commander

Boolit Master
    I have no experience with the Roger 1911s, just jumping in to say that for me a commander points much better than full size. No idea why.

Banned
    My experiences with a commander. I find them shorter and less accurate than the full sized 1911. I mistakenly purchased a 1911 Colt Officers in stainless back in the 80's when they first came out. I thought it would be nice to carry a shorter 1911. The officers in my opinion is worse than the commander. Accuracy wise I can only do about a 3" group with it and a 1" group with a full sized 1911. To each his own I guess but I believe the shorter gun to be less accurate.

Banned
    Thanks for the input folks. I appreciate it.

6bg6ga - I agree the Officers Model took the downsizing a bit too far.

Boolit Master

I bought my LW Commander in the early '70s and it's been upgraded over the years...trigger job, sights, extended grip safety, etc. For precision accuracy at 25 yards, it's certainly no match for my Series 70 Gold Cup or even my 'stock class' IPSC gun but it'll still hold all eight shots in the 10 ring of a B-27 target at that distance.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottonpicker View Post
    I own both the full size Ruger and the light weight commander. Not much difference in felt recoil to me using the same load in both guns. One positive note about the light weight commander is the titanium insert feed ramp which reduces wear on the aluminum frame. I had Doug Guy work on the barrels and enjoy shooting both guns. For the $ I think Ruger has a fine product with features found on more expensive guns.
    Under the “your Mileage May Vary Catagory” My experience is just the opposite of Cottenpicker’s.
    I have owned steel 5” .45’s and carried them on duty as a peace officer. A sore back prompted me get a 5” lightweight .45. I honesty enjoyed shooting the LW just as much as my steel frames.

I put a killer down with an 80 yard shot with that LW 5” .45. They put the gun in evidence and I bought a LW Commander .45. Here’s where my mileage varies, I hated the way that LW Commander shot. Sold it and never regretted parting with it. It felt too snappy, the buyer shoots plastic guns so he said he’d take it. I believe what I couldn’t stand is the short slide cycle
    rearward. All my guns are Colt’s. All functioned with 100% reliability with cast and j-word boolits.

Had I not retired I’d just have to buy a steel Commander .45 and see how I like it. They gave me back my 1911 out of evidence. I carry wheel guns now almost exclusively.

Groo here
    I have and shot all three sizes in both steel and Alu.
    I always had the best luck with the commander size, the fullsize just feels nose heavy.
    [ although there was that AMT 7in 10mm]
    If I was to build another one , it would be a commander light weight frame [ as slim as possible ] and an officers slide.[yes they fit.]
    In 9mm[like the original commander] and be set up to shoot federal 9BPLE .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    I put a killer down with an 80 yard shot with that LW 5” .45.
    Very impressive. Excellent job.

Boolit Master

I bought a SR1911 brand new about four years ago. The front sight broke off after about 60 rounds. I sent it back. They put a new sight on it. That one broke after about 200 rounds. I went after market. No sight problems now. The mags. that came with the SR would not consistently feed my ammo. It was not ball ammo. I used two different molds. One was the H&G 68 bullet and one was a hollow point mold from Mihec. I went to Wilson Combat mags. I haven't had a jam from them yet after 4000 rounds. It finally shoots the way I want. I bought a Springfield Armory Range Officer compact 45acp. I don't notice the recoil being any more than the SR with the same loads. The Range officer is more accurate. I carry the Range Officer. I mess around with the SR.

I would rather have a Star PD or Firestar .45 than anybody's Officers model. Great little guns!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GaryN View Post
    I bought a SR1911 brand new about four years ago. The front sight broke off after about 60 rounds. I sent it back. They put a new sight on it. That one broke after about 200 rounds. I went after market. No sight problems now. The mags. that came with the SR would not consistently feed my ammo. It was not ball ammo. I used two different molds. One was the H&G 68 bullet and one was a hollow point mold from Mihec. I went to Wilson Combat mags. I haven't had a jam from them yet after 4000 rounds. It finally shoots the way I want. I bought a Springfield Armory Range Officer compact 45acp. I don't notice the recoil being any more than the SR with the same loads. The Range officer is more accurate. I carry the Range Officer. I mess around with the SR.
    The Ruger Mags are not the best. I went with Wilson Combats as well.

Hard to beat the RO in any flavor!

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I would rather have a Star PD or Firestar .45 than anybody's Officers model. Great little guns!
    I still own a Officers 45acp a Colt. My wife owns a S&W Shield and it will easily out shoot the Officers.

Banned
    The integral plunger tube of the Ruger SR1911 is a strong selling point for me because I've had plunger tubes come loose.

Interesting to hear about the problems with the Ruger mags. If several replacement magazines were required it would increase the cost of the pistol. That's another factor to consider.

The comments about the Springfield Range Officer are also interesting. I owned a stainless Springfield 1911 (not the RO model) and I was unimpressed with Springfield. It just would not shoot well and it left the stable. That experience soured me on Springfield but maybe I should give them another chance?

In any event, I'm not currently in the market but I am trying to set some parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The comments about the Springfield Range Officer are also interesting. I owned a stainless Springfield 1911 (not the RO model) and I was unimpressed with Springfield. It just would not shoot well and it left the stable. That experience soured me on Springfield but maybe I should give them another chance?

In any event, I'm not currently in the market but I am trying to set some parameters.
    I don't own either lightweight or commander style 1911 pistols. Mine are all full size.
    That said, I own two Springfield RO 1911 pistols and a recent manufacture Springfield Mil Spec. All of them shoot and function flawlessly. I am getting groups that are as good as the ones I get with my revolvers(S&W Target Masterpiece and 686 with 8 and 3/8 barrel).
    I had a person who is an excellent shot fire them recently just to see what they would do with my cast handloads. He shot small, ragged holes for groups at 12 yards(about 1.25 inch groups) offhand.

Boolit Master
    My experience was with Colts....5" for me. It carried just fine. I have shot lightweight commanders and SS commanders. I don't like the short bbl. and to me 3/4" just wasn't a major difference in carrying. All are substantial handguns.

You say you are not planning on concealed carry, that makes it a no brainer for me. Full size.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post

You say you are not planning on concealed carry, that makes it a no brainer for me. Full size.
    /\ might be where I'm headed. If I didn't have so much time with the LW Commander I wouldn't even be considering the smaller gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Ruger magazines are excellent. They are close copies of Colt magazines but with stronger springs and a skirted follower. If anyone does not understand that viewpoint I will be happy to explain.

Big hint: They preserve the tapered feed lips JMB thought necessary. Ruger included them for a reason. My luck with them is good.

Do not regard them as throwaways just yet. They have a better pedigree than you have been told.

Boolit Grand Master
    My praise pertains to the seven shot Ruger mags, not the eight shot. The design differs in the eight shot and not in a good way.

Boolit Man
    I own a SR1911 full size. Carry it routinely. It's every bit as accurate as my Les Bears and have been just as reliable. Love it.

Boolit Master
    I've had both full size and currently a LW colt Commander.

For carrying the LW is a hands down winner. For shooting I still like the full size better. If I were not carrying I'd still have my full size Colt 1911. FWIW, neither were stock. They both were 'fixed up' by a good gunsmith. Barrels, bushings, springs, beavertails, sights, triggers.

Boolit Master

Though not a Commander length @4.25" the SA EMP4 with a 4.0" barrel and aluminum frame available in 9mm & 40 S&W is a sweet gun ! I have one in 9mm with the concealed carry contour ( bobtailed frame) 26oz empty.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast