RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Size 1911 v. Lightweight Commander

Banned

Full Size 1911 v. Lightweight Commander

Ground Rules:
    I don't want a "1911 vs. __________ ", thread.
    I don't want a "This brand vs. that brand.....", thread.

Some back story to set the tone - I trained with the 1911. I was proficient with the platform. I reloaded for the 1911 in 45 ACP. I worked on 1911's. I carried a 1911.
    I owned some full sized government models and shot the Officer models but the bulk of my trigger time was with the Lightweight Commander.
    - I had a lot of miles with the 1911 but moved on years ago. I do NOT dislike the 1911 (it's a good design) but there came a time when I went in a different direction. Sort of like a dating a girl you liked but realizing that she wasn't "the one".

Therein lies the root of this post - I've been checking out the Ruger SR1911 and I like what I see. I'll probably never carry a 1911 as personal weapon again but I might want to play in that sandbox again.
    My history with the Lightweight Commander is pushing me towards that type but my head is telling me to go with the full size model since it will unlikely be used as a full time CCW.

I'm looking for input from forum members, particularly ones with knowledge of the Ruger SR1911.

Boolit Grand Master
    Decent pistol for the price. As a carry option, the lightweight Commander is substantially superior to the plastikpistoles in shootability at a cost in magazine capacity. Just my opinion.

My most time in grade with the Ruger is with the all steel Commander variant. Like it a bunch, and the 3/4 inch shorter slide makes it carry much easier IWB than a full size especially folded in a car where a five inch toys annoyingly with your nether regions by comparison. You may not care about that but I do.

I know a little something about 1911s but can't address the Ruger SR1911 - you might try asking the same question of these folks - http://rugerforum.net
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Banned
    Roger that. Thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Decent pistol for the price. As a carry option, the lightweight Commander is substantially superior to the plastikpistoles in shootability at a cost in magazine capacity. Just my opinion.

My most time in grade with the Ruger is with the all steel Commander variant. Like it a bunch, and the 3/4 inch shorter slide makes it carry much easier IWB than a full size especially folded in a car where a five inch toys annoyingly with your nether regions by comparison. You may not care about that but I do.
    Copy that. I had a steel Colt Commander and the shorter length was nice but the small weight difference between it and the full size always made grab the Lightweight Commander. The extra weight made the steel Commander a joy to shoot (it felt a lot like the full size when shooting).
    As for magazine capacity, Not a deal breaker for me. I'm comfortable with a DA revolver so an eight round pistol is already more than I expect.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since the shootability is more important to me than capacity (early hits are most likely to prevail) and a good holster supports the weight well, the durability and shootability of the steel Commander make it my choice.

But if the lighter weight of an aluminum frame was not a viable option for some they would not sell them.

Boolit Master

I have both SR 1911 CMD steel in 45 LW in 9mm no issues at all with them from the start not one hiccup over 4 k in the 45 only 2 k in the 9mm
    if your looking for a range toy go steel carry gun go LW
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

Let me ask you then since you said you had a lot of time on the LW Commanders. Did you ever have any problems of certain jacketed hollow points gouging the feed ramp? Did you ever get any cracks in the frame especially where the slide release nose goes through? Sounds like you're not sensitive to the little more recoil of the LW's so can really tell you the all steel is a little more comfortable to shoot. My preference is towards all steel. I do have those models. It's not only the weight difference that people look for with the LW Commander, but it being shorter too.

I own both the full size Ruger and the light weight commander. Not much difference in felt recoil to me using the same load in both guns. One positive note about the light weight commander is the titanium insert feed ramp which reduces wear on the aluminum frame. I had Doug Guy work on the barrels and enjoy shooting both guns. For the $ I think Ruger has a fine product with features found on more expensive guns.

Banned
    I never cracked a LW frame but I had one that was a dog from day one.
    Along those same lines, I had a full sized stainless Springfield that I was not impressed with. It went away and I don't regret it.

Surprisingly, (or maybe not) one of the best was the oldest. A had an early model Colt LW Commander that was a decent pistol. Sold it like a fool because I wanted a stainless model. The stainless slide / alloy framed Colt that followed was the dog.
    I had a Kimber LW Commander that was a very good pistol.

The Ruger LW has a titanium insert in the feed ramp and that seems like a good idea.

As for rounds gouging the frame - nope. However, some bullet profiles just didn't get along with the Commander length action and I simply avoided them.

Logic tells me to seek out the steel full size model but I carried the LW Commander the most and that is the one that I'm drawn to.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottonpicker View Post
    I own both the full size Ruger and the light weight commander. Not much difference in felt recoil to me using the same load in both guns. One positive note about the light weight commander is the titanium insert feed ramp which reduces wear on the aluminum frame. I had Doug Guy work on the barrels and enjoy shooting both guns. For the $ I think Ruger has a fine product with features found on more expensive guns.
    /\ THANK YOU /\

That's what I was seeking.

“it felt a lot like the full size when shooting”

Except for 3/4”less barrel on the steel Commander, it is a full size.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banned
    I like the Ruger. The lightweight titanium firing pin without any weird firing pin block. The plunger tube cast as an integral part of the frame. The decent fixed sights, right out of the box.......

I'm not thrilled about their asking price, so I'm clearly in the used gun market. I'm also not in a hurry; just in the thinking stage now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very little trigger time with any of the Ruger 1911-series. The ones I have fired were reliable and well-fitted examples. If they could come into my home state I would undoubtedly own a Ruger steel Commander in 45 ACP.

My "happy place" for carry bottomfeeders is occupied by Commander-form pistols--4" to 4.5" slides & barrels, full-capacity grip/magazine. Glock 20/22, SIG-Sauer 220/226, CZ-75B--a Browning High power or Colt/Ruger Commander would fall right in place among these. The aluminum frames on the SIG pistols seem to wear well, so perhaps a LW Commander would fill the bill. A Glock 23 goes along once in a while, it is sort of Commander-ish.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Full Size 1911 v. Lightweight Commander

The SR1911 is sweet!
    I have one in 9mm. Really like it. I do believe the 9mm version comes under sprung from the factory. I replaced my recoil spring with a stock Colt #18 and it’s ran like a Singer ever since!
    I have shot the LW CMD in 45 and find it very controllable as well. I am retraining myself to shoot and carry right handed, so the lower recoil helps. I just prefer the Commander size in 9mm and the 45s in Government models.

My 1911 background, I have had Colts and now I have cheap Kimbers and Rugers. I just can’t carry something that i couldn’t just walk away from or worry about getting dinged and banged around.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lefty Red; 11-21-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned
    I've always admired the combat qualities of the Commander sized pistols. The Glock 19/23 comes pretty close to that happy size/weight/capacity/power nirvana of a "packable pistol" for serious social issues. The SIG 228 is in the same camp (Although the single stack 9mm 225 AKA P6, wins for me despite the loss of capacity).

When we get into the 45 ACP category, the Glocks and the Commander length 1911's are where I usually land.

My ideal 1911 would be the government length with an aluminum frame. I'm sure others make them, but the one I handled was a Kimber. Laugh it you want, but my Ballester has stayed and two Colts have left. It is a very well made pistol and very accurate and dependable. Anyway-The Commander and Officer models have never attracted me much. I'm currently drooling over a Ruger Govt Ten millimeter at a LGS. My carry .45 is a fat plastic P97 Ruger that outshoots a lot of high dollar pistols. Sorry for the rambling!

Banned
    You're Not rambling Texas, I get it.

I bought the 5" SR1911 as soon as they were available after introduction. I love the gun.

My range is 100 yds. from my front porch & I shoot frequently (less on the hot summer days here in the south). My only complaint was a vertical mark that it made on one side of my brass rim. A close examination reveals what I thought was an oversight: the breach face had a raised surface on the left side. I figured they failed to machine this area. A call to Ruger had the nice lady in customer support talk to a technician about my complaint. As it turns out, this raised area is intentional. They feel it is an assist to fully chamber the round.

I told them I was unhappy with the effect it had on my brass. The nice lady says "Oh, do you reload"? When she found out that I did,in fact reload: she e-mailed a pre-paid shipping label & the SR9111 made a trip back to Ruger. It was back to me in 7 days without the raised area on the breach face & now my brass is happy.

I don't know if this remains a feature on the current production.

Out of the box the trigger is perfect & it handles 230RN w/o a hitch. Every now & then there would be a bobble with the SAECO version of the #068, but DougGuy solved that problem. It'll digest anything now.

In my Bill Rogers Ken Hackathorne Combat Special holster, it is surprisingly pleasant to carry (getting in & out of my truck requires no adjustment).

My personal preference is for the full size all steel version (it's my only 1911 & it gets used). I'm 78 years old & have the beginning of arthritis & the extra bbl. length & weight helps tame recoil.

I've tried the Commander version (not Ruger) & I prefer the full size.

In short: the SR1911 is a good sound gun, light years ahead of the Colt Series 70 that I owned (way back............until I spend many $ to get it where I wanted it). I paid $620.00 for the SR & consider it a bargain. The size is a matter of personal preference.

I didn't mean to ramble.

Henry

.................................................. .................................................. .......
    I real sport involves either gasoline or gun powder......all other are just games

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cottonpicker View Post
    One positive note about the light weight commander is the titanium insert feed ramp which reduces wear on the aluminum frame.
    I think Ruger put alot of thought into this platform line. Granted, I own seven 1911s and build the from the ground up. The Ruger came out right after I finished my 1911 build class. We were basically told to stick with Colt, Springfield or Caspian frames and slides. For all the problems Ruger has with their single actions with overtight barrels ect, mums the word on their 1911s.

Personally, I have no experiance with them and now only play with gussied up 1911s. I would only consider an alloy frame for a CC gun as the lifespan is only 15-25k (pre and series 70 guns) If I was in the market for a lwt Cmdr though, it might be a tough call between the Ruger and the gussied up Talo Cmdr.

Are the frame rails coated on the Ruger?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast