Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: How many ss pin do i need

Boolit Master

How many ss pin do i need

I have a Lortone 12 Qt. tumbler how many pounds of ss pins do I need for wet tumbling.

Banned
    I use 7# in a 2 gal DIY tumbler, it works great so I haven't tried any other weight.
    For rifle, I de-prime first,
    Fill to near the top with hot water, A pinch of Lemishine or citric acid (depends on how hard your water is and a couple squirts of dawn dish soap, 2 - 3 hours and I rise thoroughly, tumble out pins, soak in car wash/wax for a few min, rinse lightly, tumble out excess water, dump on towel put another towel on top and roll brass between towels, grab both ends of lower towel creating a hammok and shift brass back and forth to remove all water & prevent spotting, place in food dehidrator for a couple hours and)

Last edited by Grmps; 11-21-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Banned

I use 5 in a 4qt.
    this lets me do about 3 lbs of brass pretty easily.

Boolit Buddy

I have 5lbs in a diy tumbler that I'm guessing holds 2 gallons, seems like it takes 3-4 hours to get brass really shiny. Looks like grmps is getting the same level of shine as me in 2-3 hours so maybe I'll up the pin amount to 7 or 10lbs total to speed things up. Yours holds 50% more than mine so maybe you want to go up to 10lbs as well?

My understanding is that factory made tumblers all spec a "x lbs per batch maximum based on the motor, so you might be better off to figure that out and then go from there so you don't overload the motor.

Boolit Grand Master

I use 5# in a 15# Thumblers drum. A 9MM case of LemiShine, a spoon full of Armor All wash and wax and just cover the brass with water.

Boolit Bub
    Back before magnetic finishers, I used a thumblers tumbler with I'm guessing about a gallon capacity. 10 pounds of steel shot of different shapes was used for polishing gold or silver. Back then, it was recommended to just cover the shot with water and whatever burnishing compound. I used TSP. It seems that most fill the tumbler with water when using SS pins and brass. I wonder if that extra water slows the action.

I got sick of using pins so I just don't now. Works fine just doesn't clean inside but I'm not concerned with the insides as much as some folks.

Boolit Master

I've gone to SS chips which cuts the cleaning time in half.
    https://www.facebook.com/southernshinetumblers/

they don't get stuck in primer pockets or inside rifle cases

not involved in this company other than a happy customer
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Thank you everyone for the help.

Boolit Master

After I separate the pins from the brass I tumble the wet brass in clean, untreated media for about 15 minutes. No fuss. Clean, shiny brass. Don't have to invest in more equipment. Any extra pins that get in the media come out with periodic sweeps of the magnet thru the media. Media lasts forever this way as it is never exposed to dirty brass.
    At one with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cassidy View Post
    After I separate the pins from the brass I tumble the wet brass in clean, untreated media for about 15 minutes. No fuss. Clean, shiny brass. Don't have to invest in more equipment. Any extra pins that get in the media come out with periodic sweeps of the magnet thru the media. Media lasts forever this way as it is never exposed to dirty brass.
    Are you saying you tumble wet brass in vibratory walnut media? Interesting idea.

Seems it would clump pretty bad..Have never needed to do anything other than air dry my brass when is is done and rinsed in the wet tumbler. I must be missing something..

Boolit Master
    Your dehydrator trays look like the ammo pans for a Lewis Gun.
    Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck