Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Meat grinder

Boolit Buddy

Meat grinder

I have a Gander Mtn. 1.35 grinder. The only plastic gear in the case has cracked. Evidently it's made by Weston. I can't find on their website that particular gear for sale. Should I just chuck the whole thing and buy a new grinder ? Thanks for any replies.

Boolit Master

Try emailing their customer service or contacting the number/website on the grinder. Assuming it has one. Could ask Gander Mtn if not.

I broke two plastic gears in my MTN Gearsmith and the vendor sent me replacements at a very decent price. Running strong now. I wish I had gotten my sandcasting skills better, so I can replace the gears with metal.

BDGR

Boolit Grand Master

Gander Mtn is out of business.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Gander Mtn is out of business.
    Gander Mountain was bought out and the new owner liquidated everything. That doesn't mean the new owner won't have the information the OP is looking for.

Boolit Master

I'd take some measurements, get on the Boston Gear website and see if I could find a match. I've fixed a bunch of stuff using their parts when the OEM wasn't available.

Boolit Master

Phonejack if you cant find repair parts I highly recommend this one for a replacement. This one has enough guts that you can stuff if hard even when the meat is frozen just soft enough that you can barely get a knife through it. Even the silver skin don't seem to bother it.
    I don't know anything about this site, I got mine at Blains Farm&Fleet

https://www.hayneedle.com/product/ch...&tid=CHRD001-1

Moderator Emeritus

This grinder is the one I see recommended over and over for light home use and the one I own. It is a beast and handled 20 pounds of pork butt in 15 minutes and that included time spent swapping to a new lug to grind into(I was making 2 kinds of sausage). https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1267_200451267

Boolit Master

If that doesn't work out, do what I did to get my grinder.

Find a drop ship reseller on eBay, the kind that just automatically lists items for auction but almost never has them in stock, just has them drop shipped from a warehouse source that doesn't do individual sales. MANY of eBay's storefronts are just resellers who don't maintain inventory themselves.

This time of year, resellers are boosting their number of listings to be more available to Holiday shoppers' bids. This means, instead of listing one auction at a time, they might list 2-3. So, several prospective buyers bid on the first auction, price goes up to what the market will bear, then only a few bid on the second auction, price not so high, by the third auction it's lowball city.

I got my decently made 1.25Hp grinder for one-third of the market rate for that model in other earlier auctions by watching sellers with multiple listings and bidding on the LAST one.

It can be done!

BDGR

Boolit Master
    If it's made by weston, go to westonsupply.com. they offer replacement parts and gears for their #8 and larger grinders.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Grand Master
    Plastic gears on a meat grinder. Makes absolutely no sense. Same thing with the hand turned food choppers. The later models are plastic, Chinese, and not with the discounted price.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    This grinder is the one I see recommended over and over for light home use and the one I own. It is a beast and handled 20 pounds of pork butt in 15 minutes and that included time spent swapping to a new lug to grind into(I was making 2 kinds of sausage). https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1267_200451267

Are you sure about that time? I think most hand crank grinders are faster than that.
    We do 20lbs in less than 2 minutes but that is with a 1 horse Cabelas

Moderator Emeritus

I was going slower, I wanted a little finer grind... plus why overload the motor and gearbox? I am in no hurry!

Boolit Buddy
    Just saw this thread and checked the link to Northern Tool. Seems it's discontinued and no longer available. Been looking for a grinder to make my own sausage for a while. Now they show a model called "Huntrite", never heard of that brand and can't seem to find any reviews or other suppliers. Guess I'll keep looking.

Banned

had one just like that and my new grinder would probably grind the parts of that grinder in less then 15 minutes. That said I got by with it for about 10 years. Sure wouldn't want to go back to it again though. I guess it depends on your use. If your going to grind 50 lbs of meat a year you will get by just fine with it. Don't try a big one though or you will be trying to find the money to get one. IF your looking for one though check out Walmart and gander mountain. Those grinders are made and relabeled by a bunch of different companys I think even Weston sells a version of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post

Moderator Emeritus

Yeah I am only making sausage for myself and a little I give to the older lady who used to live next door. Probably under 100 pounds a year total and mostly fresh bulk sausage for making spaghetti and breakfast sausage(just had 2 patties of my homemade for supper. So lean they don't shrink but enough fat they stay moist)