Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: H and G #99 in a 06

Boolit Buddy

H and G #99 in a 06

I am new to this and need some help. I was given this mold and about 5 years ago cast about 50 of these bullets,gas checked and lubed em in a star lubrisizer with a .310 die and Javalina lube. Don't know how old the lube was, garage sale buy, was in a tan box and sweating grease. So I loaded these bullets cast out of wheel weights over 44 gr of 4895 and shot them this week in Dulzura, Ca. where the temp was 80 deg. Got some very nice groups out of a Springfield Sporter. Clean up was a breeze and no sign of leading.
    Now the question is, is this a normal performance? I thought that lead had to be shot with light loads and low velocity. Or did I just get stupid lucky and the whole thing will fall aprt next time out. Looking for ward to your input.
    Regards Roger

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Welcome aboard, e15cap. It looks like you found us in the nick of time. You can indeed kick these cast bullets in the pants, and get some pretty impressive velocities and accuracy. Look through the archives, learn some about hardening bullets here, and prepare to have lotsa fun. We WILL lead you a-stray, and save you from future condum bullet usage.

Boolit Master
    Welcome,

You did well, that is a pretty good load. I can't get mine to shoot 35 grains.

David

I don't think you got lucky. I think you did things right. You may have lucked into the right way to do things, but they were right. You also disproved some myths about cast bullet shooting.

We have known for a long time, that cast bullets can give the same or better accuracy than condom bullets at pretty decent speeds, with no lead and easy cleanup. However, things must be done right to acheive this performance.

Keep it up...you are on the path of true knowledge and wisdom.

Boolit Grand Master
    Dittoes to Chargar's comments. Welcome to the board, and to the sub-culture of cast boolit shooting.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    e15cap, Welcome to REAL loading! The 80 degree ambient temperature is a good indication that you did everything right; boolit design, alloy, lube, diameter, and velocity. I have found it easy to achieve good accuracy at high velocity in cool weather, only to have the same load turn sour when fired in higher temperatures. For that reason I prefer to do load testing in the summer. In answer to your question, "is this normal performance?" Yes! Gun shops, ranges, and gun shows are full of people who will rase the spectre of leading to anyone who will listen. Invariably I have found such naysayers to be devoid of any cast boolit experience whatsoever. Which mould did you cast your boolits from?
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon