MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Kimber Micro 9 & Recoil...

Boolit Master

Question Kimber Micro 9 & Recoil...

I’m looking to get a Kimber Micro series handgun for my wife…

These handguns are light weight (right at the 1-pound mark) and there might be an issue with recoil…

I am looking at the 380 and the 9mm. I would prefer the 9mm but as mentioned, recoil might be an issue with these small handguns…

I wonder if it would be possible to load the 9mm so light that it still would function the slide yet have similar recoil as the 380?...

Thanks…BCB
    Last edited by BCB; 11-21-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like she didn't like it if she is giving it to you. You haven't shot it yet? Try it first and see before making any plans.

Of course it is possible to load it down.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe, but if you are going to load 9 down to .380, why not get the .380?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Sounds like she didn't like it if she is giving it to you. You haven't shot it yet? Try it first and see before making any plans.

Of course it is possible to load it down.
    You interpreted my post correctly. I made a mistake. So, I changed "FROM" TO "FOR. That makes my question better...

You read very clearly...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Maybe, but if you are going to load 9 down to .380, why not get the .380?
    Well, I figured she could get used to the lesser recoil and I could eventually load to specs for the 9mm...

Plus, I do have a thousand or more once-fired pieces of 9mm brass and 500 FMJ's that I got in a "purchase-everything-on-the-reloading bench" sale and I do have the dies for that cartridge. I would be basically starting all over with the 380 as I have no components for that cartridge or dies for that matter...

BCB

Boolit Master

Looks like your trying to water two horses at the same time.
    Get her the 380, and get the 9 for yourself.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

Take it from someone that already sk..... The pooch in this area, just hold the tail and let her pick the gun. Find somewhere that rents em and let her shoot it and decide herself. Some women are not even a little recoil shy, but if she doesn't like the way it feels and LOOKS, she won't practice enough to be proficient.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

My wife's early Xmas was a Glock 43 (16.6 oz) and we tried a bunch of factory loads for her - she finds the 147 grain to be less "snappy" and more controlable so we are using the 150 grn HST factory HP for defense and I chrono'd it and several 147 grain loads and am loading up practice ammo to the 850-880 fps for her (with pretty red powder coat). But to answer your question in the browning recoil system you can change out the recoil spring for a lighter load and still function - I did that for bullseye loads on my 1911A1 with 185 grn SWC at 700 fps vs 230 at 850 fps. Now you just have to research and see if Kimber springs are available from someone like wolf springs in an assorted pkg of spring rates. Or my advise is reload up a couple with 95 grn boolits over a light charge and go to a gun range and rent one and try 'em. By the way, I took my wife to the range and let her shoot a bunch of different rentals and she shot the glock 43 best each time (And hated the Ruger LCP). Second best groupings were with SIG 938 (clone of Kimber Micro)
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master
    Some of the lighter grain 9mm loads offer lighter recoil yet adequate performanc. Tried any of those?

Boolit Master

Kimber Micro 9 & Recoil...

The Micro 9s are under spring from Kimber. I got a Galloway XP Spring for mine right from the start. Helps with perceived recoil, are at least the slamming of the slide on the frame.

I upgraded to a Micro 9 from a Micro 380 due to a great deal happened and I was there at the right time and place. Or I would still have my Mirco 380 as well. I really like the Micro 9 and the Sig 938 but think they are almost too small for the caliber. But I think the Micro 9 is a better feeling pistol than the P938. And not a lot of differences in either to worry about. But both 9mm pistols have a Recoil that only allows me to shoot 50 before I start to flinch and groups go to hell. The 380 I shoot all day long and only thing that hurts on it is my trigger finger from cramps!

Also, Hornady makes a 90gr FXT Critical Defense loading for the 9mm that is lower recoil. Kind of like a 380 +p.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lefty Red; 11-22-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

2 points - 1) I don't know anything about the Micro but the Kimber Solo is a fine little gun. 2) Liberty Civil Defense ammo, for the first time, made me consider .380 as an option for a carry gun - here's a product link at Midway USA - https://tinyurl.com/y7hzdgam
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Master

Well, I guess I might be leaning to the 9mm as I am hoping I can load the ammo to the lowest level that still function the action. Then work-up as the wife gets used to a bit more recoil. Basically, if I can load to 380 velocities or pressures, the 9mm might have the advantage of being a more powerful finish product...

Anyhow, are there any feed problems with these handguns using reloads other than FMJ?...

I've read several articles and it seems some 9mm have problems with anything but FMJ bullets...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    Well, I guess I might be leaning to the 9mm as I am hoping I can load the ammo to the lowest level that still function the action. Then work-up as the wife gets used to a bit more recoil. Basically, if I can load to 380 velocities or pressures, the 9mm might have the advantage of being a more powerful finish product...

Anyhow, are there any feed problems with these handguns using reloads other than FMJ?...

I've read several articles and it seems some 9mm have problems with anything but FMJ bullets...

Thanks...BCB
    I think the early versions had some teething issues, but then it just might be the tight chambers in these too. I know my 9mm DOES NOT like any steel or AL cases 9mms. But will run WWB Brass all day long, well as long as I can stand it.

Every Kimber I have had new, got a break in period of 200 rounds and ran flawlessly after that.

Lefty

Groo here
    The problem with most pocket guns is they are so light making them hard to shoot.
    I find little difference in kick between 9mm and 380 because the 380 guns tend to be lighter still.
    Rather , a heaver gun [like a walther ppk] that is larger and heaver.
    I want a walther ppk in 32acp.
    Don't poo-poo this round as JMB designed it and the thing drives through stuff like a drill press.!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have a Micro .380 and can shoot it all day long, even with stout reloads or Fiocchi FMJ. I am more sensitive to recoil than most, so believe me when I say this pistol is easy to shoot. If there is any question about her ability to shoot a small 9mm I would go with the .380. Shot placement is king.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I have a Micro .380 and can shoot it all day long, even with stout reloads or Fiocchi FMJ. I am more sensitive to recoil than most, so believe me when I say this pistol is easy to shoot. If there is any question about her ability to shoot a small 9mm I would go with the .380. Shot placement is king.
    2nd this!