MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Who Makes/Made a 190-ish gr .30 Caliber Bore Rider with conical nose?

Boolit Buddy

Who Makes/Made a 190-ish gr .30 Caliber Bore Rider with conical nose?

My Dad brought a large handful of these home from a match (possibly Camp Perry) in the early '60s and tried a few light loads with them. I always thought it was a SAECO bullet but am not too sure any more. The last 25 or so went through a NM Garand with 20-something or a low 30-something charge of Ball-C that I cooked up and they shot 1.5 MOA with my meager skills and iron sights.

The meplat was maybe .07-09 inch and I remember the included angle of the nose to be a little less than 90 degrees and nowhere close to 45 degrees. This was a few years before we got the chronograph but our educated guess was the load was going maybe 2200 fps.

They cut really clean holes in the paper, even with a load of Unique we figgured was lobbing them out at 1600 fps.

Wondering if anyone ever saw something like that and who really made it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds a whole lot like one in my kit--a SAECO #301. 196 grains in 92/6/2, less grease & gas check. Flies right sized at .310" from a 30-06 with snug throat (.309") and .300" x .308" Mauser-form barrel. It threatens 1" at 100 yards, best 5-shotter so far is in the 1-1/8" range, and does this more often than not. I don't scale these bullets. The 30-06 starts pushing back a bit once past 2000 FPS with these and other heavies, but things hold together using Carnauba Red to 2100 FPS (so far).
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I agree, sounds like a SAECO #301. I have two, one actually marked #456(?). Mine both cast on the small side with barely .308" drive bands; so beware if you go looking for one and need bigger drive bands.
    Back in the land of boolits.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The older Saeco molds of that profile were marked RG4
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    I agree, sounds like a SAECO #301. I have two, one actually marked #456(?). Mine both cast on the small side with barely .308" drive bands; so beware if you go looking for one and need bigger drive bands.
    My 2-cavity #301 will polish the drive bands completely in a .310" H&I die, but little if any metal gets moved. It is an easy passage, certainly--and mics a couple tenths over the .310" spec. I haven't tried running these through a .311" H&I die, so I don't know if they would fully "clean up". The bore rider portion is .300"+ a few tenths, and is a draggy slip-fit into the lands.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Well that IS the one!!! Looks like the meplat really is closer to 0.1-inch.

I've thought about having the nose of the 311313 machined out to that profile. Would use a bit less alloy and let ya push it past 1400-1600 fps. Guessing it would run about 170 gr if modified that way

This one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bnz511W.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Yup, THAT one! Glad to see it has a good following. Another case of Dad was right, it is a good bullet. If I shot more lead out of something other than the .30 Carbine, I'd think about picking up a double-cavity one.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is just SOMETHING about 190-210 grain cast bullets in the 30-06. Run them 1700-2100 FPS in a decent barrel, size them to fit the throat, and they will very likely shoot wonderfully. This isn't restricted to the SAECO #301/RG-4......the Lee bore-rider 200 grain bullet does likewise, as does Lyman #311284. cast as a BruceB Soft Point, I dare say it would make venison or elk steaks handily.

Banned

Might be the 30-06 was designed to shoot a 220 grain bullet, that is throated and rifling twist.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is was, Vzerone. Its initial design took the 220 grainer from the 30/40 Krag and imparted 200-225 more FPS from the longer case. I do like the things the 30-06 can do in the field and on the range. These heavier bullets start to push back a bit once you surpass 2000 FPS, too.

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    My NEI qualifies. Krag and Springfields love it. Unsized with double powder coating, it even works great in 1891 7.65 Mauser.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	308-188-gc-dd-301-igive.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	208467