Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Winter/Cold Weather clothing & Concealed Carry ???

Boolit Master

Winter/Cold Weather clothing & Concealed Carry ???

I was out the other day to shoot over the chrony and it was a mite chilly for my hands holding a steel handgun at only 31Deg. F. and the wind blowing a bit too, making it feel even colder. It was enough for me to be wishing I had some light gloves. While I was shooting I thought about what I would have to do if I was concealed carrying and needed to be able to get the firearm out & into action when it was cold out & I had extra layers/thicker clothing on, & wearing gloves to fit the temps I was in. Since it gets much colder here than the temperature I was at, I thought I would ask some questions of those of you who CC about some of your Winter time/Cold weather clothing changes made for adapting to the extra clothing & such.

I realize that there are many who live in warmer environments & this would not affect those folks because of that, but in the places where the weather brings a need for colder weather gear/clothing, I think it is worth discussing here. Particularly, if any who are in the warmer climes travel to the colder ones on occasion, like for holidays & still CC while traveling...

Here are some of my questions:

What sort of changes do you make in your winter clothing to accommodate carrying while concealed?

Do you practice drawing your handgun wearing the gloves & clothing you would wear "every day" when it is cold out?

What tips might you have for those who CC in colder weather?

Do you go from concealed to open carry instead, when you can?

Those are just some of the questions that came to mind then & since. I am really curious as to how folks adapt to the changes in clothing & all, with what the colder weather can do to make folks adapt to it while Concealed Carrying.

Thanks if ya join in and share your thoughts about this!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

My method of concealment changes with the type of clothing. Winter clothes are purchased with CC in mind.
    Yes, you need to practice drawing with each different condition and be constantly aware that different clothes require different reactions.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Practice drawing with what you plan to wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I find it impossible to shoot well with anything other than light gloves. Even when working on duty open carry, lightweight tight fitting gloves were worn, and the jacket had pockets big enough to put my hands in when they got cold. In extreme cold, larger heavier gloves were worn that could be shucked with the shake of the hand. I conceal carry knowing that there are more layers of heavier clothes to pull out of the way to draw. I don't practice as often as I should.

Boolit Grand Master

In my over coat or jacket in the winter I keep a Smith Model 38 shrouded hammer snubbie. Always ready and protected from the weather and if need be you can shoot through the pocket. This is back up for the holstered gun on the hip or the one in the duty belt.

Boolit Master
    I find this jacket ok down to +10 or so. It carries full size pistols well. Berne echo one one jacket.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LIK4MQU0NlE
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Actually, I find that cold weather makes CCW easier. Lots of heavy jackets have an inside pocket, or large patch or slash pockets on the outside. You can go from an inside the waistband holster to one worn on the outside beneath the coat. You just have to be mindful of any changes to your method of carry when you go indoors and remove the jacket. If you enter a restaurant, for example, you won't want to remove and hang your coat on a coat rack, thus separating yourself from your weapon. Hang it over the back of your chair or place it beside you in a booth. If you remove your jacket and the weapon is in a conventional outside the belt holster, unless you're wearing a shirt with the tails hanging out it will become visible.

Boolit Buddy
    I think the idea of thin/tight fitting gloves makes the most sense. LL Bean used to sell a pair made of deer skin that they advertised as "Driving Gloves" that .I liked. I don't know if they still feature them or not, but any thin "driving" type would work--anything that would keep your hands off the metal or plastic grips and give you some sort of "feel" would be beneficial -- (possibly even golfing gloves? I offer lthis as I used to live in a similar climate and found that anything that kept the wind off mu hands helped when I was out side, especially any that would allow me to get into my pockets. YMMV--Stan

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

In winter, I wear a shoulder holster with a Colt Commander. It's easy to conceal under a jacket or coat.
    Summertime here is HOT. I wear a OWB holster with a Sig P-938. I just have to be careful to wear oversize T-Shirts to keep from printing.

The rigs and firearms I use have changed a number of times through the yrs. I've carried 380's, 38's, 9mm's, 40's, & 45's.
    My rigs have been IWB, OWB, Pocket Holsters & Shoulder Holsters.
    I even have some britches and shorts specifically designed for concealed pocket carry.

My favorite rig is a good Shoulder Holster. It's easy for me to draw from in most any position that I find myself in. Driving is a bad position for many rigs, IMHO. Waist holsters usually are covered with a seatbelt or just harder to draw from in a car seat.
    But in summertime, I do prefer a OWB holster mainly because, it's about all I can conceal except a pocket holster. But, a pocket holster is a pain to draw from in a sitting position. Plus, I can't carry as much fire power in a pocket holster. My little Smith 642 did alright though.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Considering the colder temperatures apparently just about all over the Continental US right now, I thought I would bump this topic up once again to see if there were any more folks who would like to offer their perspective or comments on their own Cold Weather shooting & concealed carry practices.

Anyone?
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o