Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: I'd like to tell a story

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I was trying to make a showin . Getting things done , stock was in bad shape and not took care of . On top of that had to figure ...there were two crews working miles apart to supply . Had to figure the needs from water to toilet paper , this was a real undertaking for me . Had to figure inventory at the camp to get Ed to resupply . Trying to get this figured out was hard when I had so little information and didn't have a system .

Crews worked a week and off 3-4 days , Had to provide mounts to get them in and out . Asked glasses if the mules were broke to ride , he said he didn't know because you can't ride a mule ..idiot ! Unsteady schedule , lots of variables but these men up there depended on being supplied . Saddled the mules and tried em out , 3 were pretty good and had been rode , would neck rein ..VERY GOOD NEWS !

Had to depend on the donkeys to pack with and I didn't know how to deal with them . At least glasses knew how much water and a few other items were usually took . Water was a big concern , a third taken to the camp was used there to water the stock to make the trip back . Took a couple of trips to get things ironed out.
    No turning back , No turning back !

Glasses knew the trail to the camps ..I had reservation . I had experimented with the pack saddles , we loaded and started our first 'run' three days after I got there . Stopped after bout half mile and I told Glasses to start tightening the girts , he griped about it but half needed tightening . We actually made it to the camp and unloaded ,watered the stock ..started back , was getting dark when we got back. Fed the animals , brushed em down and doctored the out of commission ones . Glasses complained steady that it would wait till tomorrow , I just kept my mouth shut . Had to get done before dark ..we didn't have lights .

I googled the New Peralta Mining and Exploration CO . Didn't find much but it was a long time before internet . I did stumble across this post on a site about the Lost Dutchman mine . Whoever Larry was it was the same time I was there .

http://thelostdutchmangoldmine.com/f...pic.php?t=1086

That's Weaver's needle on the right of the picture , there was a camp there I packed to .
    Last edited by Boaz; 12-28-2017 at 07:25 PM.

In about a week we had made two trips to each camp . Things were getting kind of routine but there seemed to be no order to things . Ed was in control but it was up to me (and Glasses) to take care of the crews and the camp . The crews didn't have anyone in charge , it was kind of an organized mess .

Ed came out one day with feed and hay , when he got unloaded he told Glasses to gather up . Told him he was fired and would take him back to town . I thought he would tell me what was going on but he didn't , he just left with Glasses ..last I saw of him .
    Thought he would get someone else to help but he never did , I was there alone till it came to an end .

Banned

Been following right along
    Like it

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Been following right along
    Like it
    Me too. Boaz has me waiting to see what happens next!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

It was an odd thing .

As long as I was there I never figured out what the two crews were doing in the mountains . Folks tried to covertly ask me that same thing . Keep in mind that all this gold , claim , prospecting stuff was secret , all the ones looking and prospecting were suspicious of strangers and each other . It was all a paranoid situation . And although I never heard of anyone finding gold the general conception was that gold was being found but no one would admit it for fear of claim jumping or death or both .
    It was all crazy , a whole nother world . Some said the crews were prospecting , looking for pay (gold) , some said they were laying claims , in a line straight across the Superstitions to make money and hold the Feds up for some kind of scam . And some said they were looking for the Lost Dutchman .

Honestly I have no idea what they were doing . They never brought back anything to be assayed or seemed to be digging at all . But they were marking claims as fast as they could roughly in a north to south direction . Not hard to see that as their camp moved so much . If I was there to supply them I helped move all the tents , water barrels and heavier stuff . But to this day I don't know what was going on except I had a place to be , something to eat and drawing pay .

Dang ! Forgot to mention , it was customary if you ran into anyone out there on the trail to ask .. Do you need any water ? I ran into more than a few and gave em water as I was packing a lot of water . No exchange of destination was given by either party just 'friendly' talk .

I cleaned out the trailer ...it was filthy . It had one LP gas burner in the counter top . It was a nice upgrade for making coffee and 'cooking' canned goods , didn't have to build a fire . Couldn't sleep in it till couple hours after sundown ...too danged hot in there so slept half the time under the shed .

I could lie and say I missed Glasses but it was nicer with him gone . The stock was healing and I had cut out the corn and sweet feed they had been feeding ...too dang hot to be feeding that stuff . Swapped em to oats and a cup of chops a day . All the hay they wanted , got a couple more horses and a good size mule back in service . Had a mule I liked to ride personally , give him his head and he'd take you to either camp and back home . Things were looking good !

Little things .

The crews were not suppose to take liquor up to the camps , I wasn't about to shake em down ..not in my job description . I knew the closest camp was hauling in hard liquor because with both crews I had to sleep over at times with them due to circumstances . Hacked me off neither crew even offered me a blanket to sleep on , seemed a sever lack of courtesy , just slept on the ground .

The farthest crew took a full hard day to get to near Weaver's Needle . They kept after me for fresh pineapples and pears all the time , it was an odd thing . Ed and me both tried to see they had fruit , it was about all the 'fresh' stuff that would last a bit in the heat . I had to lay over in their camp and come back to the base camp next day . LOL , they finaly broke down and told me they were fermenting the pineapples and pears in one gallon jugs to make hooch with sugar and yeast (that they put in their personal belongings going in ) . They were passing a one gallon jug of this xxxx around the fire one night and it got to me . I smelled it and passed it on .

Packed in a load to the Weaver Needle crew one time . Didn't want to sleep over , stock was good and decided to get back to base camp . Moon was out and my mule was doing good just steady moving , I trusted him .. Went through a narrow rock pass and a Mountain Lion squalled above us . If you never heard it you might not understand . The hair stood up on the back of my neck , I felt my mule bunch up and the rest of the pack stock was ready to bolt , dang donkeys had those ears straight up ..ready .

We all froze , I didn't know what to expect but got holt of the saddle horn . I was taught by real cowboys not to grab leather but this was an exceptional circumstance . This could be a real mess if the string bolted . It could be a disaster , I had britchin and martingale on my mule but a round back mule can shed a saddle pretty quick ...been there before .

I sat still bout 5 Min , Talkin to that mule , tapped him with my heals and he headed off at a trot , rest of the string picked up ..we got to camp ahead of time . Never tried to make it back in the dark again .

Was hauling to the close crew and saw a big lizard in a dry wash . Got down and it was a Gila Monster ! Remembered em from grade school science textbooks . Picked up a Palo Verde dead twig and tormented him a min . He bit the heck out of it but he moved so slow that he was not a threat . Mounted up and moved on .

The desert was an interesting place . Everyone seemed scared of rattlesnakes but I never saw one . In my country I saw em all the time , they were a fact of life ...LOL , plenty of rattlers back then . In this desert they would not have come out except at night ..too hot .

Moderator Emeritus

Another who is enjoying this story.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Better than most of the novels I've read recently. Gladly awaiting "the rest of the story".

I understand these old memories are different but we all have different memories . Honestly I don't think mine are too much 'different' than anyone else's when they think of their youth . I think GOD led me and I think he tested me , I think he made me aware of many things that helped shape my life . But what believer could not say the same ? GOD will test us ..it is written in his word . GOD will strengthen us through our experience . Frankly when I think of this time in my life it was just what was , it's not special at all . Praise him I survived it .

If everyone here told stories of their youth it would all be very interesting , we are all different yet the same .

Boolit Master
    I don't have any regrets. I've done a bunch of things I'm not proud of, But they all lead me to where I am now. And if I had the opertunity to rewrite my past I wouldn't in fear of not being the man I have become, and growing into

This is not pride just a realization of all God has blessed me with
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

We have all done things we regret , it's how we deal with those regrets ...I agree . Paul said he was the chief sinner among men but you see how his life worked out . Failure teaches and gives strength if faced .

Things come to an end .

When I talked to Ed about the job I was to get $30.00 a month paid on the first of the month . I started late the first month and just drew $8.00 on the first . Was looking to get the Suzuki going to have more options , being afoot was limited . I worked 7 days a week packing in crews or supplies . Taking care of the stock and keeping inventory on supplies . Helped Ed haul water or what needed done .

I put in a month and Ed told all of us the pay was going to be late ..there were problems . I kept hauling the crews in and out keeping them supplied . After 2 weeks the crews were all mad at not getting paid , Ed told me to pack em out , there was a lot of trouble going on getting money .

Ed never talked much but I could see this deal was over . I told him I wanted my money or I'd just walk off , he had to have me at that point to pack the crews back in and take care of things at the camp . He said if I would stay a week he would pay me $30.00 out of his own money . I lost 3 weeks pay but took it , whole lot better than nothing .

I packed the crews out and stayed like I said at the camp . All the men were mad as hell .In about 4 days Ed came out and said the Humane Society was going to come get the stock and when I helped load them I might as well leave . All this time I had hoped things would get straightened out . The Humane Society came out the next day and made several trips hauling off the stock . That evening I bathed and washed my 2 changes of clothes and got ready to leave in the morning while it was cool . It was a sad situation .

Boolit Master
    now i'm 138th.

Boolit Master

Man great story! Happy new year and more!!!
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Tried to figure what to do but I already knew what needed be done ...It was time to go home . Next morning got up before sunrise and made a pot of coffee . Took it off the burner and made a big pot of oatmeal , I had sugar and canned milk . Filled up on oatmeal and coffee and went to the supplies . Got 4-5 cans of Campbell's soup a couple cans of beans and 3 cans of Velvet rollin tobacco and a roll of toilet paper . Put it in my bedroll and tied it tight with a rope so I could carry it on my shoulder . Walkin to the highway I thought about the old Suzuki leaned up in the shade shed . Thought about what a burden it had been and how much I depended on it getting me back home . I was glad to leave it behind ...I could do better on my own . Hit the highway and started thumbing south to Apache Junction .

250 Suzuki Scrambler but mine was black .

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0
    Last edited by Boaz; 01-01-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast