Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Of You Veterans

Banned

How Many Of You Veterans

How many of you veterans when wearing a ball cap of your military branch out in the public get approach by people and other veterans thanking you for your service? I've talked to quite a few nice veterans because of that.

Boolit Master

All the time.
    It's not like it was in 69-70!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    All the time.
    Thankfully. I get that a good bit, nice to hear now and then, but it also makes a guy feel a little uncomfortable sometimes. I don't really feel special for just doing what I felt I should.

Boolit Buddy

Amen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hickory View Post
    all the time.
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I get their "Military discount of 10% at Home Depot and ever time I check out I get thanked for my service, even from the youngest attendant.

Boolit Master

The ones who spit on you and called you baby killer are now in power, still spitting on you, but they are the baby killers.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Man
    I don't wear a hat like that, i kind of manintain a low profile, that's just me. It's fine for those who want to , but, i don't like to have any attention drawn to myself. I'm glad for those who do, and are appreciated for thier service. Maybe i remember 67/68 just a little too much.

Semper Fi

Boolit Master
    My wife and I were in a restaurant sitting on the patio having breakfast last week when a young man came in leading a small dog. I asked him about the dog and he said he bought it when he was stationed at Norfolk, Va. in the Navy. When I told him I had served in the Navy in the early 1950s he thanked me profusely and bought our breakfast. A lady stopped me on the street and asked if I had served and when I said yes, she couldn't thank me enough and I don't wear a hat that says Navy on it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Always been treated with respect,except by the VA.

Boolit Master

Yeah, this time of year I'm a 'mall walker' to get in my prescribed post-op therapy minimum 'mile a day' and often get a "Thanks for your service". This morning, the mall Santa...on his way to 'Kiddieland'...stopped me for a handshake.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I have a very outgoing wife who everytime she sees a vet goes out of her way to talk to them. I am a bit introverted and I shake their hand and thank them. Even though I am a vet too, I feel a bit awkward when someone thanks me. I went in in 64 when the liberals were just starting to get the demonstrators wound up so I didn't run into them much. To be honest, I got as much flac from people when I was a deputy sheriff.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    I get their "Military discount of 10% at Home Depot and ever time I check out I get thanked for my service, even from the youngest attendant.
    Do you have to have a DOD ID card to get that discount? It use to be show them your 214 form, but Lowes and Home Depot in East Tn require the ID Card. I feel that's just another hurdle to jump.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ARKLITE881South View Post
    I don't wear a hat like that, i kind of manintain a low profile, that's just me. It's fine for those who want to , but, i don't like to have any attention drawn to myself. I'm glad for those who do, and are appreciated for thier service. Maybe i remember 67/68 just a little too much.

Semper Fi
    I am the same way, except my time was '73/'74. Thank you all for your service.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Boolit Grand Master

I don't wear a hat to advertise my service to anyone. I'm pretty low key like that. I do wear a PGR hat now and then and have been approached for that.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I don't wear a ball cap and I am still active. They spot me in a crowd and thank me. It's like a sixth sense to some people. I always feel awkward.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

If you are in Georgia you can have ( veteran ) put on your drivers license. And the state will give you one special vehicle license plate that will say veteran , for free.

USAF 1961 - 1969 SEA 1965-66 Yes i wear my cap proudly.
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Boolit Buddy
    Mainly when I use my Retired ID as my proof-of-ID instead of the State driver's license. I get a lot of "thanks for your service".
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Do you have to have a DOD ID card to get that discount? It use to be show them your 214 form, but Lowes and Home Depot in East Tn require the ID Card. I feel that's just another hurdle to jump.
    vzerone, in Texas you can send a copy of your DD-214 to the state one time and then, after that, "veteran" will appear on the front of your DL in bold black letters.

Same thing with your LTC (license to carry) although it takes a separate letter to a separate branch, containing your DD-214, for some reason.

Anyhow. once it's done, it's permanent, so you can just show your DL or LTC at the different stores that offer a Veteran's discount. Maybe your state offers a similar program?
    Semper Fi, Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master

I have the hat and a few shirts but rarely wear them, I'm proud of my service but I didn't do anything special so most folks don't know.
    I will thank anyone that does wear it.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    I went to my account, My Lowes, and added my military info, now it just comes up at the register.

I don't wear hat's, unless I'm at the range or maybe fishing to keep the sun out of my eyes. I too kinda feel awkward when they make a big deal about my service, specially from the guys at the gate going on post, I mean, we're all vets, but I respectively accept it and move on.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast