Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case forming 45/75 from 348 brass - help

Boolit Buddy
    Hiwall
    Are you saying to run case into 45/75 die without the expander installed? There is no way otherwise because the sizing die expander button will only fit in a 44 cal mouth. /Chris

Boolit Master

Yes, without the expander. When I use 300WM brass to make 458WM brass I need to run them through the 458WM sizing die or the brass won't chamber. I use Red Dot under grits to fire form. I have never fire formed using black powder so can't help there.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Chris,no expander plug. Use fast pistol powder for 1st fireform then you can go to BP. Imagine a 30/40 Krag case run thru a 40-60 die with no expander, doesn't change anything but the base. Then I prime it and put my 10 grains of bullseye in and put them in the loading block and take them out on my deck and fill the 30/40 case up with corn meal,grits or cream of wheat.put the gun on the railing ,put the shell in the chamber close the action and pull the trigger. When I open the action its a straight .40 caliber that I trim to 40/60Maynard. Just make sure it's pointed up when you put the shell in and I run a patch thru the rifle so the corn meal in the rifling doesn't fall down on you case and put little dents in it. After you can figure how much to trim to leave a mini.al amount to final trim.
    Last edited by Hiwall55; 11-25-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I solved my case forming by locating my lost case forming die set. It is a C-H die body with 3 tapered expanders. The expanders are tapered over a inch and a half length. The opening in the die body is large enough to accept the big .348Win. base. #1 is .280 - .355 #2 is .340 - .400 #3 is .395 - .450
    I have no idea where I got this set or what it is called, having never seeing another like it. /Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12