RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: threads tenon etc Sharps 74 vs 59/63 ?

Boolit Master

threads tenon etc Sharps 74 vs 59/63 ?

threads tenon etc Sharps 74 vs 59/63 ? Anybody know if the threads are the same on a '74 vs the 59/63 New model? it may not be a 59/63 I dont remember 58/62 whatever if you know what I mean you know. Located a shootable '74 barrel in 45-70. I have a 59/63 action just sitting here. If it will work it makes an easy project/
    thanks

Boolit Master
    My Sharps started life as a new model 1863 Navy contract carbine and was re-barreled by Sharps with an 1874 barrel. I don't believe they changed their barrel shank. If your NM 1863 action has been altered to centerfire your pretty well set. If not you will need to cut an extractor slot in the action and the block and alter/machine the block for the firing pin plus alter the lock plate and hammer. I used a shaper and a mill to cut the extractor slot in a set of castings for a Sharps action. I had to build some tooling for the shaper. Other than the satisfaction of saying "I did it" time wise I would be way ahead just buying another rifle.

If you go ahead be sure to post pictures.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

Said action was converted to a 28 ga shotgun. The chamber is goofy in that shells drop in less than half way. So, I think I would use the 45 more than a 28 ga. I hadn't thought about the extractor...

thanks