Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Winnie Trapper in .44 mag with cast boolit scores on a Whitetail

Boolit Master

Winnie Trapper in .44 mag with cast boolit scores on a Whitetail

Distance was 45 yards, load was an MP-433-640HP with 7.1g of Trail Boss. Boolit went right through both lungs and exited without hitting any ribs. My son, who is 10% American Indian(from his mother's side), tracked it with the aid of a flashlight through a pine needle covered forest, here at my place, and found her piled up after about making it up and down small hills for an estimated 200 yards!
    I almost lost this one! Next time, I'm aiming for the front shoulder. At my age(76) I need bang/flop!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

Wow, surprised it made it that far. How was the blood trail?

Banned

I have a feeling you just poked 2 44 cal holes through it's sides.
    effective obviously, just not quick.

Boolit Buddy
    Glad you got the deer. I am surprised at the long tracking job though. I shot one with a 260 gr NOE rf 2 years ago out of my Mod 94 44 mag. The deer dropped like it had been hammered into the ground. That is the only one I have shot with the 44 & cast so not much experience behind my observation. I have shot 3 others with 44 mag & jacketed hollow points out of my Ruger SBH revolver. Two of those went close to a hundred yards before dropping. Both good through the lungs hits. The 3rd dropped right there at the shot.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Shuz,

I was just going to pm you and to ask if you ever hunted with that boolit. Congratulations! I’m not surprised that the deer traveled so far. I’ve spent alot of time and harvested a bunch of deer with a bow, and it can take alot of time for them to bleedout.

I’ve found that 6.5gr of W231 are accurate out of my Marlin to 50 yards with the boolits cast with 1-16. Were you shooting WW?

Surfdog
    Last edited by Surfdog; 11-20-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Good work getting the critter leaking and a good job to the tracker for not giving up!
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Banned

Great work on harvesting a deer. What alloy are your bullets?

Banned

Congratulations and good on you for staying on the tracking job, a lot of guys don't.

Normally, I'd think two .44 holes in the lungs would put one down quickly, but flukes do happen. Seems you got one that was clinging to life hard. There's nothing you can do to anticipate that or account for it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Wow, surprised it made it that far. How was the blood trail?
    Blood trail was not real easy. There was 3 or 4 times where she laid down and there was lots of blood when she got up. It was dark about 1/2 hour before we found her. Thank God for flashlights and lights on 4 Wheelers cause we needed them for this old girl. If there would have been even a little snow on the ground, it would have been an easy track, but in pine needles that where somewhat wet from the rains we've had, not so much!

The alloy was 1/2 WW+1%tin and 1/2 pure lead. (Saeco 6, Bhn 9)

Boolit Buddy
    Nice work Ray....... some fine eating there

Boolit Grand Master
    excellent job on you and your fine tracker
    don't suppose you know if there was any expansion on that boolit
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Blood trail was not real easy. There was 3 or 4 times where she laid down and there was lots of blood when she got up. It was dark about 1/2 hour before we found her. Thank God for flashlights and lights on 4 Wheelers cause we needed them for this old girl. If there would have been even a little snow on the ground, it would have been an easy track, but in pine needles that where somewhat wet from the rains we've had, not so much!

The alloy was 1/2 WW+1%tin and 1/2 pure lead. (Saeco 6, Bhn 9)
    With that alloy they should have expanded nicely.

Boolit Master
    I'll never know about the expansion, as the boolit, as far as I know, might be still movin'!
    I'll examine the exit hole a little closer tomorrow when I butcher.

Boolit Master

The main thing is you recovered the deer. It would be nice to hear a postmortem on the deer.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Buddy
    With that bullet I would have expected it to drop sooner, but we all know...some deer are tougher than the rest.

Much respect to your son's way for tracking the deer.

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations ! Persistence does pay off. Tell your son good job keeping his nose in the needles.

Reading your load and wondering ... What "mix" did you pour that slug with ? As low as the velocity probably was you should be thinking about range scrap or 30-1. WE shoot a lot of 44 WCF in carbines. One has a 16 " barrel. Maybe chugging along at 1000 fps. They expand even out of our Colt New Service with a 5 lnch barrel. Maybe 850 fps. 6-7 grains of "Greendot".
    The 220 Saeco FN PB is better than the old Winchester RN 200 grainer but even those expand some smacking wet phone books or 50 pound wild dogs out in the desert at 35-50 yards.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Mike--The alloy on these was 10:1(ww:lino). They test at Saeco 8, which is too hard for <1000 fps boolits. It's just that I was too lazy to change alloys in my pot after casting some boolits for my .308 Win. I think if I'd have hit the shoulder and "broke her drive shaft", my indigenous American tracker would have had a much easier job!

Boolit Master

Congrats on the deer and the recovery.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I shot a doe with a pure lead Buffalo Bullets 50 cal from a TC muzzleloader that went at least 200 yards. The tracking was difficult, to say the least. When I found her, I was initially unable to find the exit hole, which accounted for the lack of blood trail. I finally did find it by putting a water hose into the exit hole in the offside ribcage and looking for the water coming out. Bullets sometimes do funny things. Glad you found your deer. Persistence pays off.
    USMC 6638