WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 310 shell adapter dimensions.

310 shell adapter dimensions.

If anybody has a mic laying around next time they have a 310 shell adapter out could you snap a measurement and tell me how thick they are ? I have all the other dimensions pulled from my handles, just need the thickness before I fire up the lathe. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I looked and all I have with me here in AZ are my steel tongs. I rarely use my aluminum tongs so I'm going from memory but IIRC, isn't there a "lip" on the adapter? i.e. so that when it screws in it "bottoms out". I would think that if you had a general measurement of the thickness and even if it stuck up above the handle a tad, it would still work just fine - any difference in the thickness dimension should be ale to be taken up with the die adjustment in the handle.

Somebody will come along and be able to help you out of the dimensions though.

I'm also thinking that they have a weird (not ordinary) thread pitch as well? I hope you'll maybe post some photos of your finished adapters when you get them done - ought to be an interesting project - especially as small as they are. Good luck to you!

Jim

Boolit Master

I'll get you the dimensions later this afternoon.

The threads are .609 /.610 - 30. I've made a few replacement parts for my Lyman tools, most all of their threads are unique to them.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master

Dimensions are as follows
    Major OD - .745
    Major OD thickness - .090
    Minor OD (undercut after the threads) .565
    Minor OD thickness - .065
    Thread - .609/.610 - 30 TPI
    Thread thickness - .190
    Overall thickness - .345

Cutouts on major OD
    180 degrees apart
    Rectangular cutout - .252 wide x .160 deep
    "C" cutout - .095R - thru the major diameter
    .040 deep into the major diameter
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Dsh 1106 thank you sir that is most helpful. As soon as I get some time after deer season I'll see how many chunks of scrap I make before I get a usable one made.

I have made several -- I suggest turning the chuck by hand for threading -- as i recall only about three threads and I am no longer quick enough with the half nut lever --
    generally I find it easier to modify spare holders by boring them out or pressing a bushing in --

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Payogrande - I'm glad you posted on how you did it! When I saw his post, the first thing I was thinking was what a chore it must be to cut the threads on such a delicate part. It's been many years since I've cut threads on a lathe but I KNOW I couldn't be quick enough on the half nut lever to do it. I didn't think about turning the chuck by hand - makes perfect sense!