Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: 30-30 Marlin micro groove .311 boolit seating issue

30-30 Marlin micro groove .311 boolit seating issue

So trying to get my Marlin to hit the side of a barn with cast boolits.
    Googled extensively to find what I would need.
    Ordered a custom size mold, got a lee sizer for
    Casted about 50, powder coated them, sized them went to load and first I started shaving them, so got a neck expanding die to take care of that. Then I find out the Lee bullet seating die is snagging on them when I try to seat them. Scraping the bullet and I have no control on depth. Has anyone else run into this? Due I need a die for a bigger bullet? I'm still new to loading rifle and just not finding info really about this. I just want to hit the paper doesn't need to bullseye just a corner would be nice.

In the photos I used some bad cases while I was trying to figure out what was going on. I know the factory crimp is wayyyy to strong I forgot to adjust it for the bigger size.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gitchrodd; 11-19-2017 at 03:48 PM.

And after three days of searching trying not to post a question...I finally brake down post the question and then immediately find my answer. Rcbs cowboy die set. So I'm going to try that and see what happens. Still curious what others have done it if it's happened to others.

Glad you found an answer, my first go round was much like yours, I put some 600 grit wet and dry sand paper around a pencil and reamed the seating die out enough so that the seating plug contacted the nose of the bullet rather than the throat in the die. Worked OK, but I ended up buying a set of RCBS cowboy dies anyway.

I use the Lee set to load 30/30 PCd, no problem. Don't understand your exact question. I FL size, no plug - decap with universal decapper, expand with Lymaor NOE expander. Make sure the mouth is slightly flared. Seat with the Lee seater and FCD to remove the flair - not really a crimp. Looks like a NOE RD clone, like mine. If the Lee seating die is scraping PC off the nose, the die is wrong or bad. The stem just touched the meplat.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I use the Lee set to load 30/30 PCd, no problem. Don't understand your exact question. I FL size, no plug - decap with universal decapper, expand with Lymaor NOE expander. Make sure the mouth is slightly flared. Seat with the Lee seater and FCD to remove the flair - not really a crimp. Looks like a NOE RD clone, like mine. If the Lee seating die is scraping PC off the nose, the die is wrong or bad. The stem just touched the meplat.
    So what's going on is when I try to seat the bullets they are either getting stuck in the die or worse get seated in the case before it touches the stem. After I posted I found my answer in the Marlin owners forum. The Lee die has I tight tolerance where the bullet passes through to the stem and it can't seat cast bullets that are oversized to much. It barely let's my.3085 sized bullets past so definitely not going to work on my .311 sized bullets. Apparently the RCBS cowboy dies are set up for the oversized cast bullets so I'm going to give them a try.

Boolit Master

I have and use RCBS Cowboy dies in may revolvers but I have never tried them in my rifles. I will watch to see how your experience with the rifles version works. james

Boolit Grand Master

That is true with the Lee dies. That short section of the die is what causes the boolit to enter the brass straight. If it is too sloppy ... . I had the same problem with cast boolits in my 8x56R Steyr dies. I emailed Lee, ended up sending a couple of my boolits (the Frankenstein) and the seat die back to Lee and they opened it enough to seat the Oldfeller Frankenstein.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    That is true with the Lee dies. That short section of the die is what causes the boolit to enter the brass straight. If it is too sloppy ... . I had the same problem with cast boolits in my 8x56R Steyr dies. I emailed Lee, ended up sending a couple of my boolits (the Frankenstein) and the seat die back to Lee and they opened it enough to seat the Oldfeller Frankenstein.
    And a quick search of Lee's website I found this. http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...-tight-bullets
    Thank you!

I'm A Honcho!
    That is a sexy Boolit. What mold is that? Whats the weight? Post a link if you dont mind.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

I'm A Honcho!
    Use a 45 Colt, 44 MAG or 444 Marlin Die with a flat seater. You will have to let the first two all the way out. I ran into the same problem with the RanchDog Shortneck 308 mold.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    That is a sexy Boolit. What mold is that? Whats the weight? Post a link if you dont mind.
    http://arsenalmolds.com/index.php?ro...product_id=107

Edit: First one I posted was wrong mold.

Last edited by gitchrodd; 11-19-2017 at 09:13 PM.

It actually is dropping way big for me at. 316-.317 with coww. I've emailed them to see what they say. I actually ordered it at .310 and figured I'd get to .311 with the powder coat and sizing die. The mold itself is very nice. Now I'll see how there customer service is.

Boolit Grand Master

I would think the Lee die (most other dies too) are designed/made for .308"-.309" jacketed bullets. I'd figger an easy remedy would be the Cowboy dies...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

An alternate to the cowboy dies, which I have never used, is the Hornady standard 30-30 dies. I had the same problem with my Lee dies and used a borrowed set of Hornady dies and they worked great. I have since then bought my own set of Hornady dies. The seating sleeve is quite good and most of the calibers I now load are done with Hornady.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Lee will send you a custom seating plunger if you send them a boolit and some shekels.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    An alternate to the cowboy dies, which I have never used, is the Hornady standard 30-30 dies. I had the same problem with my Lee dies and used a borrowed set of Hornady dies and they worked great. I have since then bought my own set of Hornady dies. The seating sleeve is quite good and most of the calibers I now load are done with Hornady.
    The Hornady seating die is the only one I use for cast boolits. I use one die body and make my own sliding sleeve's and seating stems for each caliber and boolit.
    Larry

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    The Hornady seating die is the only one I use for cast boolits. I use one die body and make my own sliding sleeve's and seating stems for each caliber and boolit.
    Larry
    What a great idea! I'll have to try it.... Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dale