Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB 8pt Buck

Boolit Master

CB 8pt Buck

Got this fellow in the last second of legal shooting light. He meandered more or less straight at me from 200 yards away. When he got to around 125 or so, he turned broadside and froze in the alert position. I hoped he would resume his path and offer a closer shot, but after 10-15 seconds he still hadn't moved and it wasn't getting any brighter, so I decided to let it fly.

He took off running and disappeared from view near a fence line. I assumed he had jumped the fence. Then I heard a strange noise come from the woods in the direction he ran, maybe 150-200 yards from the shot. None of the deer I have ever shot have "cried out" before death, but the strange sound had me looking in that vicinity for the deer. After 20 minutes or so of looking (now dark), I found no blood or other sign of the deer near the source of the sound. The land owner joined me with his two dogs, a golden retriever and Aussie shepherd, hoping they might help out. Still no luck, so I decided to return to the place of the shot, which by now, was a bit vague as it was in the middle of an 8 acre hay field.

This time I walked right up on him. Greatly relieved, we "reverse tracked" him to the place of the shot, or at least as close as we could, which turned out to be only 50 yards away. Turns out my shot was perfect, his heart was destroyed. The hole in the rear of the shoulder was quite impressive as well. Load was Lee 309 170gr, 80/20 AC COWW/SOWW pushed by 21 grains of 2400 in my 30-06 for around 1800 fps. Not the biggest buck ever, but he'll eat fine! I've got some neck in the pressure cook as I type.

Still not sure what the noise I heard was. Maybe another deer? Maybe just an echo off the hill?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 11-19-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Good job!

Good shooting & some fine eating too !!
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    Well done.

I helped track an 8 pt last night that one of the guys in the camp next to my place shot at the end of the day. He hit it with a 180 gr jacketed bullet at 40 yards. Gut shot it. He has a reputation for being a lousy shot and "excitable" hunter. We found him just 100 yards from the first shot.

It pains me to see poor shooters in the field as I know that there is a good chance the game they shoot will be wounded and die slowly. I was really surprised the gut shot buck died that quickly as none of the vitals were hit.

You made a fine shot...nice job. And it goes to show most deer can be taken with a .30/30, and there is no need for hyper velocity whiz-bangs. My example last night showed that if someone has no marksmanship skills, why do they even bother buying calibers that are made for long range work.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Congrats on your buck! I'll write down your load, as I have the same mold, rifle and powder.

Boolit Master

Good work, congratulations!
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats on getting it done!

Boolit Buddy
    Good shooting. Getting one with a cast of your own is special. I haven't hunted with anything other than cast for deer in 4 or 5 years now. There are limitations in range but that's fine with me. I certainly enjoy the extra challenge & satisfaction when it comes together. I bet you do too.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master

Congratulations on your hunt. Isn't it amazing how far a deer can go even though the heart is destroyed?
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Very good!

Boolit Grand Master
    excellent you are going to enjoy that for sure
    that load of 21 gr is a good one
    works real good in my sons 35 Whelen
    and my 358 win
    actually he did the same as you did last night
    shot a doe his made a 40 yd run
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

Was going to use that same load with the RCBS 180 grain FP in my '06, but I tagged out today with the crossbow. Could onlt get two tags this year and the one with the .45-70 during the early antlerless segment filled the other one.

Nice job, that's a good deer with a good rifle and load you developed yourself.

Banned

I have heard deer make some odd noises at times.
    Littlegirl punched one through the shoulders with her Argie and a hybrid copper/cast bullet I make.
    it dropped like a rock then made a baaa sound like a sheep as it hit the dirt.
    I think it was just expelling all the air out of it's lungs from the drop and it's throat/jaw was constricted from the nerve damage.

Fantastic shot in low light - That's "Gittin er done" good work!
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations to you sir. The feeling of satisfaction that you get from killing a deer with a boolit that you made, loaded, and carried into the hunting woods and successfully harvested a deer with is a rush like no other. Great job, and it will eat well I am sure.- CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Grand Master

Good job! And yes, deer can be vocal on rare occasions. I've heard deer cry out or bleat at times and heard a buck grunt on my last trip.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

A friend of mine had a deer he shot "vocalize" as it died several years.
    Neither his family of his wife's (both are big time hunters) had ever heard of such.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Nice job! I've heard deer make all kinds of funny noises from grunts to bleats to baaaaas, and stuff in between!
    Sunday night I think I heard one belt out,"Hey buddies, the coast is clear...season's over!"
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Vendor Sponsor

Got to love it when a plan comes together !!

Congrats
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned
    congratulations!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast