Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: I'm looking for an Israeli K98 in 308

Boolit Master

I'm looking for an Israeli K98 in 308

Anyone have or know where I can find an Israeli K98 Mauser in 308 in decent condition? I've been searching but have had zero luck....even Gun Robber seems devoid of them.
    [

Good luck for your search. I have two very nice specimens, but plan on keeping them. Mine were made by FN Belgium specifically for Israel and have the 6-pointed star crest on the receiver. Of all places to run across them, I bought them both at the same time at Big 5 Sporting Goods in Calif. in the middle-late 1980s. The stock of one was completely broken in half at the wrist, but the metal was in such great shape that I bought it anyway and repaired the stock. I've noticed over the passing years that they are becoming increasingly difficult to find, so here's something to consider: Not only did the Israelis have them specifically made for them in .308, but in an attempt to standardize ammunition they also converted some of the many thousands of 8x57mm K98k rifles they owned to .308. It's not so hard to find a K98k rifle or action and relatively easy to re-barrel using a military Mauser .308 barrel. SARCO used to stock these barrels at reasonable prices. They were surplus, but I seem to recall somewhere even having seen newly made barrels in the military configuration. So, were you to barrel up an K98k action with a surplus or newly made military barrel you'd essentially have the same thing -- and it would be a fun project.

Boolit Master
    I had a similar Idea and the only barrel I could find was one on eBay that looked of questionable origin. Both Sarco and Numrich are out. Sooner or later one will pop up and I'll be there...waiting with my credit card ready to go.
    [

If you find an 8x57 refurb to .308 from the mid-80's don't be surprised if it's really a .31-08, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Boolit Master
    I always thought a good caliber change/barrel swap would be putting a 7.62x51 barrel on the Intermediate length Yugoslavian action. That just seems to make sense. especialy since the one I have has a crappy bore....I'd just like to screw in a replacement barrel in 7.62x51 in on that one and not chop the rifle up in the process.
    [

Boolit Master
    A
    @ abitnutz
    I did 5 Yugo Mausers in .308 and they work great.
    Also did them in 257 roberts and .25-06
    Next is either a 7mm-08 .358 Winchester or a .450 Marlin.
    I love that Mid length action.
    But I do have a Brno 98-22 long action with a military stepped barrel in .308 and it shoots great .
    That one as some of the others still have the military stepped barrel and military stock.
    But most of the others, the stock had seen better days, so it got sporterized or Replaced
    Cheap rifles with bad bores are a delite to make into something worthwile to shoot.

Boolit Master
    31-08 ?
    Isnt that almost the same as the 7.65 Belgin or Argentine

My Israeli 98 Mauser 7.62x51 conversion was built on a Czech VZ24 action and it shoots WAY better than I can hold it. I still haven't slugged the barrel yet so I don't know if it's a .30 or a .31, but it has shot anything in mixed jacketed .308's that I've put through it so far very well.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    The only thing that truly sucks on my Yugoslavian M48 is the rear sight. That notch is so small that it's almost invisible. I'm seriously considering a Lyman, Redfield or the like, receiver sight. I have a Parker Hale on my Ishapore Enfield 2A1 and Enfield No.4 Mk1 and the difference is just astounding.

The front sight is good, it's a hooded afair that gives a great picture. I just wish I could successfully align it with the rear sight.
    [

Boolit Master
    Even the Williams 5 D economy receiver sight can make a big differance if installed correctly.
    I have filed the rear sight notch deeper and wider on a couple of my Yugo 24/47'S
    I just thought it was me and my old eyes that was having problems seeing that small notch in the rear sights

Boolit Buddy
    Have you tried replacing the front post with a square blade, like the Swedish Mauser has? You can buy one from Brownells, or a surplus one from perhaps Liberty Tree or Sarco.

I find the square blade helps me index the front sight in those tine rounded rear Maser sights quite a bit. Don't know if it is really more accurate, but just makes sighting easier, at least for me.

Boolit Master
    I've been ruined by the Parker Hale receiver sights I put on my SMLE's. They're just terrific. I'm not sure there's much to choose from between the Redfield 70 and the Lymen SME that are available for my M48. They seem about equal.
    [

In Remembrance

Not a great picture but here is my Israeli Mauser.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Isr 308 k98.jpg  

I'm guessing that before it was Israeli it was Czech? The winter trigger guard is the give away. Crest scrubbed from receiver ring?

My brother had a brno k98 that we installed the WGRS on the rear receiver Bridge. We used the Barleycorn front sight and it worked well out to 150 yards or so. It had the winter trigger guard as well as a laminated stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I bought a drop in peep for my yugo mauser, no idea where I got it. 1000 times better.