RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why ???

Boolit Master
    I don't think original owner is the problem of warranty. I think some may be overlooking a very valid point. How would you feel if someone bought your car and you never got paid for it, then they sold it to someone else and then that person came back to you and wanted you to repair the car? From what I read that is apparently what is being asked of Mr. Darnall. I can see the new owner's position of purchasing what I would term receiving stolen goods, but I can also see where the seller is coming from, both are a victim of theft and fraud perpetuated by the original purchaser.

Additionally, unless things have changed, is Mr. Darnall runs a test strip through every checkmaker and sends the test strip packaged with the tool. The test strip is proof the tool worked properly when it left his hands. I know I received the test strips with every tool I have received. Others may wish to comment on this.

Your post say a lot of the checks had a scallop, but did not say every check had a scallop. I would first suggest checking and cleaning the tool's cut for bits of built up metal, which is what I would guess may be the problem if the metal will not go into the slot fully. These tools are custom hardened steel so scraping out the cut to the bare steel should not damage the tool. Because the tools are hardened steel it is going to take a special blade to cut the slot deeper, a hacksaw blade is not even going to scratch it.

Second put some oil on the tool, not dry lube and lubricate it frequently. Basically, these tools are shearing the metal and reforming it in a single operation. Aluminium is a soft metal that tends to stretch and tear. Bits of metal can break away and bind to the blade if no lubrication is provided.

If none of the above does not fix the problem then I would either forget it altogether or contact Mr. Darnall and make a plea for help. Since Mr. Darnall appears to have suffered the greatest loss on this deal I would offer to pay the shipping both ways if he would examine the tool.

"Theft and fraud" is a bit of a reach

Boolit Buddy

"Theft and fraud" by whom?

I did not want to tell the details of the story, to avoid controversy and respect for the forum that hosts me! But I do not want to read insults for no reason!
    So let's talk about the facts:
    1. The first buyer buys for $ 125 (€ 120.29) a FREECHEX III by mr. Darnall, who shipped it with USPS. Without knowing either English or the American system, the buyer believes the shipment is with UPS, even because at the same time he buys a scope shipped with UPS, which is shipped with UPS at a price of $ 76.
    2. Buyer also buys:
    - on line a arbor press (no one uses in Italy an arbor press!) for € 117,52 + shipping € 10,98
    https://www.ebay.it/itm/Optimum-OPT1...SYI3nab9DU9_ag
    - a sheet of copper sheet + a sheet of aluminum € 100
    - a mold lee .30 (no one uses bullets in lead in the gun!) € 35 + shipping shipment € 14,85
    http://www.stitra.com/11020101it.htm?a4149328
    http://www.stitra.com/11020201it.htm?a4149328
    http://www.stitra.com/spedizioni.cgi
    3. It costs € 435,64 in total
    4. The FREECHECK III ordered in a few days arrives at the Italian customs, but since then no news is heard. After a few weeks and several e-mails to Mr.Darnall and customs, the buyer receives an e-mail from the customs, which says that the goods shipped unfortunately has been lost, and to be sent again the goods order however NOT with Poste Italiane (they are taking charge parcels)!
    5. The buyer then asks mr. Darnall found an agreement and split half the expenses, even if the fault had been the seller who had not secured the parcel.
    6. Mr. Darnall replies that the cost with UPS or FEDEX was over $ 100, but the buyer warns him that he has paid for a much heavier and bulky scope, only $ 76! He also offered to buy an UPS shipment coupon (about $ 30!), And he just had to put the goods in an envelope (not in box!) And hand it over to the courier. For USPS reimbursement, when he arrived, he could sue refound, to compensate for the expenses incurred!
    7. Mr. Darnall replies that he would receive only $ 50, and that it was useless to activate the insurance. Anyway, it would take six months! After this DO NOT MAKE more to the buyer.
    8. The buyer then writes to Pay-Pal, and sends the e-mail with which the Customs informs that the parcel has been lost. Even then, mr. Darnall responds!
    9. At this point the buyer sells arbor press, metal sheets, and mold less than half of what he paid for them, finding a lot of difficulty in selling because they are non-marketable goods!
    10. But after about 15 days unexpectedly comes the FREECHECK III. Having already sold everything, sells this even less than half, for € 50!
    Obviously for all goods the buyer loses 100% of all shipping costs!
    11. At this point I buy the FREECHECK that has never been used! Finding defects in its operation, but given the low purchase price DO NOT REQUEST ANY GUARANTEE, or mr. Darnall, or the person who sold it, who had no fault of the bad operation! I can only say that the person from whom I bought it was very nice, and to compensate for bad operation sent me to withdraw an aluminum strip to do gas checks! (He had already sold the sheet metal he had bought!)
    12. Mr. Darnall is very kind, responding with explanations, but he NEVER offer to replace the piece that, although using it according to the instructions given, does not work correctly 100%.

At this point let's take a look at it:
    • Mr. Darnall I do not know what he lost: if he paid Pay-Pal's insurance he did not lose anything, and if USPS insurance repaid $ 50 he also earned us! If Pay-pal instead took the money from mr. Darnall and he has not been refunded by USPS has lost a maximum of $ 125 ($ 75 if he activated USPS insurance!)
    • The first buyer spent € 435,64, and recovered € 120,29 from Pay-Pal + € 50 from me and € 120 from the sale of arbor press, metal and mold sheets; he lost € 100 + the cost of the aluminum tape (he did not tell me how much he spent!)!
    • I have spent € 50 for a tool that does not work well, although I believe defective gas checks can be used equally!

I think in this sale ALL have lost something!
    I can only say that if mr. Darnall had shipped it with insurance (in Italy it only costs a few euros, and pays them for the buyer, along with shipping charges!), Or whether it was so kind to accept the buyer's bid to split half the damage done, including if the blame was mr. Darnall, everything would end with greater fairness and honesty!
    In fact mr. Darnall swindled the buyer, the buyer returned the swindle to mr. Darnall, but he has suffered the damage of having to sell at a very low price the rest of the equipment purchased, and I have a Free Check III that does not work well, even if bought at a very low price!

For all this, sorry. MR DRAGONHEARTH / RETUMBO, please measure words, first tell her!
    Otherwise there will always be someone who will wish you "Not to have the seat as wide as your mouth!"

I apologize to moderators and forum readers for my OT and for the last sentence (this is a saying we use in our country!).
    As I said I do not know English, and the computer translation often translate incorrectly, but I guess I understand someone in the forum said that the ITALIAN BUYER acted as a thief and a robber towards Mr Darnall, who instead he is a very honest person!
    I did not have any direct relationship with mr. Darnall, and I do not know him! He will also be the most honest person in the world, but in this sale, according to my opinion, he should have accepted the bid of the buyer to share the damage in half! The buyer would not sell all the equipment purchased to use the freecheck; meanwhile, the freecheck would come, though with a lot of delay, and no one would have had any money loss!

In all honesty, the original buyer is an idiot if he sells all his stuff because he did not get his checkmaker in time. If he sells them at a loss its no ones fault but his. I had to wait months to get mine from a certain member on here, and I'm on the same continent.

You misunderstood...my comment before was that I do not think there was any theft or fraud.
    Last edited by Retumbo; 11-30-2017 at 08:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have spoken with Mr. Darnall about this subject and I am told that he made the sale accepting payment by Paypal. The purchaser said the check maker was lost in the mail and turned it over to PayPal who in turn refunded all the money back to the purchaser for the tool. After that Mr. Darnall had no idea that the purchaser did receive the tool and resold it as he did not find it out until the new purchaser of ther tool contacted him. As far as what other items the original purchaser bought and sold has nothing to do with the fact that the original purchaser received goods that he did not pay for, then made a profit on it. Theft, okay maybe too strong of a word as the original purchaser did not intend to steal the tool, but what do you call it when someone takes something that is not theirs then sells it?

From the beginning of this post it appears to me the story is being made out that Mr. Darnall is the bad guy when he posted a tool, it was received and Mr. Darnall received nothing for his time, effort and expenses.

When I ordered my first Freechex III from Mr. Darnall he posted it immediately and it came in the next day's mail. How that happened I do not know as that was a 2000 mile delivery. I made an immediate trip to the post office to send Mr. Darnall a MO as I did not expect him to send the tool before receiving payment and I had not sent the MO. This kind of trust is not the actions of a man who is out to take advantage of others. So far nothing posted here convinces me otherwise.

I do empathise with the second buyer of the tool as it was apparently purchased in good faith and I do hope you can get it working properly as these are great check making tools. If you want to see what these tools can do take a look at my post on YouTube https://youtu.be/R5sIuzphTEk I also built a similar unit for the III tool, but the Freechex IV works even better.

Boolit Buddy
    TO MR. RETUMBO:
    Retumbo, the first buyer was not stupid!
    In fact, he sold all until after Italian Customs had informed him that the parcel was lost! Otherwise he would have been stupid but crazy!
    As I said, it was all hard selling, so much so that it was bought online, because no armory kept that stuff in the store!
    Not even the metal sheets were purchased in the city where they lived but were bought at 2,000 km distance!
    For this reason he had to sell at a very low price: indeed he was lucky he managed to sell! Just found a buyer willing to buy everything, he sold everything!
    The same free check was left for sale for a while, and in the end when it lowered the price, I bought it!

PS At this point I wanted to do the last test: I disassembled the free check, cleaned it all with a brass brush .30 and .38, I passed some oil, took strips of aluminum, both brass and I lubricated those ones, and I did a couple of gc to see if the defect disappeared.
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! The engraving was always present as before!
    I can only say that examining the inside of the top piece, it was not smooth and shiny, but had circular grooves!
    Not if these grooves are a normal thing or not! Whether these are the origin and cause of the defect!

TO MR. DRAGONHEARTH
    Respectable. Mr. Dragonhearth, you must be very friendly if you defend it this way, even when I SECOND MY OPINION, he is not right!
    Please read more carefully with the facts! I hope the translator has translated correctly!
    The first buyer received damage from mr. Darnall, and it was the one who eventually had the biggest loss!
    If mr. Darnall had been smarter (assured shipper and courier with more guarantees!), and more kind (DO NOT use the word "honest" !!!) when the customer forwarded the email where the Italian customs informed that the parcel had been lost, and the "ADVICE" was to send another parcel, BUT WITH OTHER COURRIER, he would have tried to find a solution to the problem, because the buyer had proposed a fair and honest agreement: dividing the damage in half , shipping with UPS in envelope, (NO PACKAGE!), and activate to be refunded from USPS insurance. In this way, the buyer lost 1/2 of Freecheck's price (about $ 50) + UPS shipment coupon € 30 (if you do not think, you can simulate an expedition on the UPS site: I did!). So mr. Darnall would only lose $ 50 (but when USPS would have repaid $ 50 as Mr Darnall wrote to the buyer, he would not miss NO DOLLAR!).
    If the buyer had seen a fair solution, he would have expected the new arrival, and he would not sell it all!
    According to your opinion what should you do? If the object went really lost, keeping everything would have been more damaging.
    You say that the buyer did not get a good profit!
    But how much did you have in mathematics, when you went to school (if you went there !!!).
    The buyer spent just over € 435 of purchased items + around € 30 (???) for the aluminum tape to repay the malfunctioning: TOTAL ABOUT € 465, and earned from the sale € 290.29. Where is the gain ??????????
    I think you DO NOT WANT TO UNDERSTAND and not that you do not understand what happened!

I do not know how PAY-PAL works: I do not think the money he returned to the buyer took them from Mr. Darnall's credit card ! THAT THERE WAS INSURANCE TO PAY.
    So we can say that:
    - Mr Darnall sold, and the sold goods were paid to him. However, I do not know if he asked USPS for the $ 50 reimbursement that Mr Darnall wrote! And in this case the dishonest would be mr. Darnall!
    - The buyer saw an item that did not work well, and Pay-pal's compensation in this case would have been due not to the fact that he did not receive the merchandise, but he received defective merchandise! So no scam! IN EVERY CASE WERE RIGHT TO REFOUND / COMPENSATION! It remains indisputable the damage he suffered for the cheap sale of all the equipment needed to use the Freecheck. So in the end it always stays in loss and without any gain!
    - I bought at a very low price an item that does not work well (I do not say it does not work quite well!).

To conclude, since you are not good at mathematics, I do the sum:
    - I° Buyer: Paypal is refunded for an item that eventually turned out to be defective! No scam on his part!
    - II° buyer: buy at an extremely low price an item that eventually proved to be defective, sold to him or in the best of goodwill. In fact, he received a receipt of the goods not for sale, worth around € 30
    - Seller: Sends goods that have been paid to him without any insurance, and on arrival he turns out to be defective. Perhaps has received or will receive $ 50 from USPS insurance, NOT HERE because the insurance covers the loss of the item shipped, and not the bad operation of the object!

At this point since we are VERY, VERY, VERY O.T., we want to open a new tread titled "WHO HAD THEFT AND FRAUD?" (use Dragonhearth's words, so by what I write, I think it's best to use VIPERHEARTH's nickname !!!)

Boolit Buddy
    For parcels destine to points outside the USA the Insurance is only available on USPS REGISTERED Express mailings, and then there's the wait time at the PO to boot filling out in triplicate forms. That's every hand it goes through. Pricy too! So was the tool LOST, obviously not, just delayed. So be wary of the Italian postal system is what comes through loud and clear here! -tj

Boolit Buddy
    Unfortunately in Italy ALL public services do not work: therefore also Poste Italiane! And do you know why? Because no "worker" can be fired!
    In the hospital in my city an employee stole more than € 100,000! After a couple of months he was back at his workplace!
    A nurse boasted to me that he had made a house of over 500 mq! But if nurses have a very low salary, where did he get the money?
    Returning to the postal services, the package arrived in Italy from America in a few days: it is about 10,000 kilometers, as soon as the package enters Italy it turns into a ghost: nobody knows where it is and nobody sees it anymore!

Sorry, though! I'm just a foreign guest in this forum! But would not it be better to understand the causes of the malfunction?
    The lubrication has been corrected, the positioning of the strip inside the slot has been corrected, the arbor press lever has been operated correctly! So how and WHY ALL of the gas checks come out defective? Can the cause be in those lines/groves within the upper part?
    Unfortunately I do not know how to photograph inside! Some time ago I bought a camera to look inside the barrels of my weapons, but as usual, Chinese people sent me a tool that is useless! If I find it I try to shoot with this camera!
    Google Traduttore per le aziende:Translator ToolkitTraduttore di siti web

Boolit Buddy
    You did say not 100 percent were bad. Looking at the metal strips you do see some holes have more closure than others which are gapping. Your cute little stop setup could be lifting the tape away from the back of the die and it need not be much. Stiffness and thickness of metal also contribute to closing the gap in the check via swaging the metal. Perhaps removing the stop and holding the metal against the back of the die should tell you something. In this case it does seem some have an excessive depression, but again not all correct? -tj

This discussion has got completely stupid, partially perpetrated by the OP. The OP asked a simple question as to what could be the cause of the faulty gas checks he is getting from his Free Chex III. Several of us have given him the simple cause and suggested either sending the faulty Free CheX III back to the manufacturer or having someone with the right tools fix it for him. How the OP came to get the Free Chex III is of no consequence and just a stupid distraction from the problem.

It is really simple, if the aluminium strip is held at the back of the slit and a gas check is punched out and the strip shows a cut out along the edge then the Free Chex die is faulty, no ifs, buts, or otherwise, it is faulty. Who gives a **** about the Italian postal service or any other postal service or who paid or didn't pay, the bloody Free Chex die is faulty. It didn't get to be faulty in the post it was faulty when it left the manufacturer.

Take a piece of paper and scribe a circle on it using a compass, If you go over the edge of the paper when scribing the circle and cut the circle from the paper you will have a circle looking like the circle of aluminium punched out by the OP's Free Chex, Fold the circle into a paper 'gas check' and low and behold you will have one identical to what the OP is getting from his Free Chex. It's not f...king rocket science.

Boolit Buddy
    Respectable. tjones,
    The metal strip is subjected to two types of forces:
    1- Very weak from left to right that advances the strip in the slot to cut gas checks.
    2- A second, much stronger force, which holds the strip against the back wall of the slot.

Both the template and the hole have a round surface, so the strip tends to slip against the tilt when pushed against the back wall of the slot.
    Therefore, it is impossible for the template to form an obstacle to positioning the strip against the back wall of the slot!
    Also the defect was present even before I made the template!
    I did the template just because sometimes I did not advance the strip properly and the holes overlapped. Then the two parts of Freecheck blocked, and it was very difficult to separate the two parts!
    Ever since I made the template, ALL the holes are spaced in the right shape, and the freecheck is no longer locked.

For these reasons, I believe that the template is not the fault of creating! Honestly, I also think the cause is in the shallow slot, but I'm afraid to make it change because I'm afraid to ruin the freecheck. So the gas checks I think are usable and do not give any problems, but if I modify the freecheck maybe I could affect the operation and have gas cheks that will not work!

PS As I said, as soon as I can, I will try to make freecheck top photos (the bigger part where the slot is located)

Boolit Buddy
    I wanted to try to cut the slot with a hacksaw, to make it deeper.
    Naturally, with a normal blade, the hacksaw slid over the piece as if I passed it on the oil!
    Then I found a Remington - Dupont blade with the acronym HS 12: with great caution I managed to deepen the slot a few thousandths of a millimeter: now it's much better!
    The incision on the edge is always present, but I can hardly see even if I use a magnifying glass!
    I did not want to insist, for fear of damaging the piece!
    In Italy there is a proverb that says "not all donuts manage with the hole"!
    Evidently to mr. Darnall this donut is successful I do not say without a hole, but with the smallest hole!

PS I found the Chinese camera, and I tried to film the inside of the freecheck: the camera cost about $ 18 and ..... YOU SEE! Or better NOT TO SEE ..... NOTHING!
    My wife always tells me an American proverb: GET WHAT YOU PAY!
    Now I know why it cost $ 18!

It's funny that your problem was solved in less than 5 minutes.

Boolit Buddy
    What's not funny is that it was not solved by mr. Darnall!

Quote Originally Posted by airone46 View Post
    What's not funny is that it was not solved by mr. Darnall!
    It wasn't his problem as soon as he refunded the money to the original buyer

Boolit Buddy
    Retumbo, but it was not mr. Darnall to return the money, but the insurance!
    He cashed them! And nobody knows if he pocketed the $ 50 of the USPS insurance !!!

This post has turned into an absolute OFF TOPIC!
    Everyone pocket money and everyone puts money back!
    So far the only one who has not pocketed money is me !!! Good thing I spent very little!

Retumbo, why do not you check your bank account ????
    You may have lost something, too, and earned something !!!

Quote Originally Posted by airone46 View Post
    Retumbo, but it was not mr. Darnall to return the money, but the insurance!
    He cashed them! And nobody knows if he pocketed the $ 50 of the USPS insurance !!!

This post has turned into an absolute OFF TOPIC!
    Everyone pocket money and everyone puts money back!
    So far the only one who has not pocketed money is me !!! Good thing I spent very little!

Retumbo, why do not you check your bank account ????
    You may have lost something, too, and earned something !!!
    PayPal returned the money...which means they took it out of Mr. Darnalls account. So your friend got a free check maker. I don't think the $50 makes up for the cost of the checkmaker

Boolit Grand Master

It's not off topic at all. Charlie had money taken out of his account and it was given to the original buyer. So the original buyer never paid a single cent for the tool. He then turned around and sold the tool to you. If you don't see the problem w/ this then I don't know what to say. The whole thread has been an attempt to smear Charlie's name IMO. Maybe something is lost in translation.

Boolit Master
    I would like to make one final point and that is all the three FreeChex tools I have purchased are hardened steel. I know because it took a high grade diamond paste for me to put a polish on one of them. If running a blade through the slot got the tool to working then as I suspected the slot picked up bits of aluminium that bonded to the steel due to lack of lubrication. Running a blade in the slot just removed the aluminum build up.

Boolit Buddy
    Insurance is $41.91 if and only if registered. None otherwise. Not available otherwise on foreign mailings.

330 Registered Mail

331 Description

Customers may use Registered Mail service for additional protection and security in dispatch and conveyance in the United States. For each registered item a mailing receipt is issued by the office of mailing and a record of delivery is maintained at the office of destination. Indemnity limits are much lower for Registered Mail items than for insured mail. In the United States, Registered Mail items are handled separately from all other mail and are kept in a secure area with restricted access. In destination countries, Registered Mail items are handled according to their own internal procedures.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast