Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: The ACME Boolit

Boolit Master

The ACME Boolit

In the mid to late 90's, I was fortunate enough to take a Machine Tool Technology Class at the local Community College. I took it over and over, with no interest in grades, course credits or graduating. As far as I was concerned, I was renting $1M worth of machinery, plus the expertise of the teacher, plus the experiences and mistakes of my fellow students, for a pretty nominal fee per semester. The instructor was totally sympathetic to my hobby interests, and kept what I was working on away from the myopic gaze of the Administration. My fellow students minded their own business as well.

There was a considerable line for the two Bridgeport clones in the Class, but the Horizontal Mill was largely neglected. I delightedly hogged this, plus the dividing head, for weeks on end without annoying anybody. One of the things I decided to try was to make a boolit mould. At that time, I had digested all the current progress on the Black Powder Cartridge section of the old Shooter's Forum, and by its help, triumphantly registered my first 2-1/2" 100-yard group using black powder in my old High Wall .45-70. So I thought I would try to make a boolit mould for the cartridge.

The big advantage of making one's own mould is that one can embody one's own ideas. First, it would be a nose-pour adjustable mould, like the old Perfection designs. That way, I would get the equivalent of many different length moulds from the effort of making only one. Dr. Gunn and Dan Theodore and their ideas were well in the future still, so the nose was more or less standard, with the necessary meplat.

I figured thusly: The depth of the grooves would more or less copy the nominal bore diameter, with a little extra depth for a film of boolit lube. The groove diameter would be, hopefully, at least the groove diameter of the barrel. The numbers were picked off the aforementioned Winchester High Wall, approximately 0.450-" and 0.457+" respectively.

I had made up some ACME threading tooling to make some replacement screws and nuts for my Atlas Shaper, and thought the ACME form might be a good one for the lube grooves. The idea was that the ACME form takes up and equalizes thrusts, offering increasing resistance from top to root as the thread form gets thicker in cross section, making the action of grip nuts on leade screws accurate over a long wear life. This configuration, I thought, would also help center the boolit in the barrel, as any off-center delivery would squeeze down the narrow, more fragile, tops of the ACME thread form against the more resistant, wider bottoms at the opposite side, and thrust the boolit to a centered equilibrium. I figured the boolit would also come out of the mould easier than with the square cornered lube grooves featured on a lot of the classic designs. Since the grooves were going to be only a few thousandths deep, there would need to be many of them to deliver adequate lubrication, like the Loverin designs do.

So, in the class, I turned a cherry to what I guessed would cut the correct diameter cavity to deliver the correctly sized boolit, cut the grooves with my ACME thread tool (I wound up cutting them deeper than planned just because they looked too tiny) and fluted it using the dividing head on the horizontal mill. I hardened and tempered it and ground the reliefs with a toolpost grinder on the lathe, and did the final sharpening with stones and diamond files. I made a little double-acting vise to fit Ideal single cavity mould blocks and recherried a set of junk blocks I had gotten cheap at a Gun Show.

The mould turned out pretty good (I thought) and I fitted it with a dished-base plate and an adjustment screw. The first few casts showed the mould was a few thousandths too small, so I lapped it out to what was a barely adequate size. I set the cavity to around 390 grains and tested it with the High Wall against the previously successful load which had used Ideal 457124. Alas, the Ideal design, at 100 yards, outdid my ACME boolit by at least 1/2 MOA every time. Turning off the base cavity to a flat base didn't help. I relegated the mould to the category of Col. Patterson's lion trap ("In point of fact, it didn't work, but it was a very good idea anyway") and went on to other things.

Recently, I dug the old mould out from my rather excessive accumulation of such things, and it occurred to me that I had never changed the adjustment for length. In the intervening decade plus, the value of longer boolits for better targets at longer ranges had become settled science. Also, I now had a couple of dedicated target rifles in .45-70, with pristine barrels. I turned the adjustment screw on the mould all the way out, which resulted in a boolit of around 532 grains, lubed a bunch of them up, and loaded them with a powder charge that had worked well with the 525-gr Ideal 457125. I took a few loads with this boolit out for comparison.

When I got to the range, I realized that I had forgotten my telescope sight, and the Shiloh #3 had no tang and globe. So I figured I'd use the barrel sights at 100 yards. The results are below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACME Bullet 100 Yd.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	208017

The control load with the 457125 clone gave a 7/8" vertical by 1-7/8" horizontal 5-shot group. The ACME boolits gave three groups, 2-1/2" vertical by 2" horizontal, 3-3/8" vertical by 1-1/2" horizontal, with 4 of 5 in 2" vertical, and the one in the picture, 7/8" vertical by 1-1/2" horizontal.

Looks like I'll be checking the ACME boolit out at longer ranges in the future. And remembering my telescope sight next time.

Here's a photo of the mould, cherry and a couple boolits:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACME Bullet 2.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	208018

All in all, it was very instructional, and pretty interesting work. The hardest part seems to be figuring out the difference between the cherry dimensions and those of the boolit you want out of the mould, and the finicky hand work needed in deburring and honing the cherry's cutting surfaces.
    Last edited by Bent Ramrod; 11-22-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    That is very cool! Nice write up!

The adjustable boolit concept is a good one. The pic sure helped out too!

I like that idea of taking the course over & over for the use of the machinery also. Pretty sharp idea!

Thanks much for sharing the experience!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Very nice! It is posts like these that keep me busy and make me want to do more than just load and shoot. The satisfaction from the results of your own crafting is priceless, IMO.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

The local Trade school dropped the machine trades, Machine repair, Welding and a couple other courses a few years ago. Took the shops out and sold all the equipment off. Some really nice Clausing 13"X 36" lathes and Bridgeport mills. Along with an assortment of other machines that had been donated by local shops. Now almost all computer and auto related with a few other courses. Almoat all the apprenticable trades are gone.

Boolit Master
    That’s how they got rid of me, too. Seems to be the secret dream of all these minor league adminies that if they could only get rid of all those grubby Manual Trades, Repair and Beautician courses cluttering up their catalogs, and replace them with few roomfuls of Computers and Dance Troupes, then they could pretend that they were running a real University.

To them, the populace was taxed to build these Junior Colleges in order to allow these drones to work out all their Repressions and live out all their Fantasies. And so it went. The rumor was that they sold all their machinery for cents on the dollar, just as you mentioned in your case.

There was an angry letter in the local paper about this. The writer complained that he could no longer get a Welding Certificate and find a job, but could take all the Belly Dancing courses he wanted. To be Fair and Balanced, the paper searched hard for a letter expressing the opposite opinion, but the best they could do was from someone who said that no matter what destruction was wrought on the course curriculum, he hoped the Intramural Sports Programs would remain untouched, since those were the most valuable parts of the education he had gotten when he attended the School.

Of course, the place has only three types of students now. Those who slept through High School, and basically need to take it over again. Those who did well in High School, are smart enough to realize what a cost-ineffective deal College is any more, and who are taking all the rudimentary Credits at a lower price before transferring. And finally, the dilettantes, who spend their evenings doing Modern Dance, Macrame and other such “Aht.” A stone waste of community resources.

Boolit Master

I can relate Bent Ramrod. I live in a university town and excepting for the nursing school I see no value being produced from our taxes. both of my parents used to teach English as a second language (remedial English mostly) there before their retirement and I often saw the papers that they graded. These were done by students that needed the language credits to graduate. What puzzles me is how they managed to get the other credits while their language skills were so poor.

When I went through engineering school in the 80's studying electrical engineering all students were required to pass basic machine and welding shop during their 1st year. That is where I picked up the basics that today allow me to tinker with and make bits & pieces for my hobbies. Those were the good old days. Maybe I'm turning into an old grumpy curmudgeon.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

A friend I went to school with owns and runs a medium sized tool and die shop Stamping dies both coining blanking and progressives. Hes constantly complaining that any skilled people he finds are now in their 50s and 60s. He gets very few younger people wanting to work in the trade and most have no experience. All the trades are going thru this. The idea of actually building and making something with your hands is out dated any more. As is the craftsmanship, pride and quality that used to be there. I had an apprentice ask how to know when the job was done. I answered when your willing to sighn your name to it. He didn't understand what I meant.
    I am tired of buying things and having to remove burrs and sharp edges, Knurls that are more knife than gripping surface, edges that don't fit together closely and filled with paint to cover. The days of pride and quality are gone its kick it out as fast and cheap as possible.

ACME thread form bullets if only that crazy coyote had known! He would have had fricassee of Road Runner in a snap!

Boolit Master
    If there was an ACME Company, I would hope that this is the design they would offer.

Funny, I never saw the Coyote try using a gun on the Road Runner. Doubtless the Cartoon Police didn’t want to damage The Children psychologically. And look how well that worked.

I took 20 of the above loads out to the range the other day. Three five-shot groups at 200 meters were 9” vert x 4-1/2” horiz, with 4 shots in 6” overall; 6” V x 4” H, with 4 in 3” V; and 5-1/8” V x 1-3/4” H with 4 in 3-1/2” V. (Looks like the Shooter takes a while to settle in.)

I took the last 5 in the box and fired them off the bench at one of the 500-M Ram spotters. Took two shots to get the scope adjusted and then hit it three times.

I think it’s definitely “trying,” anyway.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    If there was an ACME Company, I would hope that this is the design they would offer.
    Such company is actually exists. ACME bullet. I've used their 32/357/500 coated bullets.

Boolit Master

Thnx for that very entertaining write up! Sure is a shame that most of the older craftsmanship knowledge is replaced by cnc driven machinery!

I have also noticed that Bent Ramrod is a very clever and entertaining writer. Thanks Bent Ramrod, great job on this thread!

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for reading, and for the compliments.