RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soft lead?

If the lead isn't shiny then it has oxides that form a black coating on the surface, or white powder if really oxidized. But just dealing with that black oxide layer by fluxing can help drive the oxides and any alloys back into the melt as opposed to skimming them off. As well as help pull any debris out. Handful of clean sawdust or wood shaving rodent bedding can only help, and certainly do no harm. Avoid sawdust that contains plywood, particle board, or treated wood sawdust. E.g. big box home improvement stores sawdust. Best stuff I have used is shavings from a planer, followed by clean lumber sawdust, and then wood chips from a chain saw.

X-ray sheeting, or blocks are great but I would expect to flux even clean ingots added to a batch if they have sat for a couple or few years in the garage. Worst stuff I ever dealt with was glued to wall using a notched trowel, so one side was covered in glue. When that smoke stack ignited it was pretty impressive (looked sort of like a rocket engine firing straight up) but there was a lot of sheet rock and assorted debris in the melt.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

That's how my batch was trowled on glue and attached sheet rock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12