Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would Remington warranty this barrel?

Boolit Master

Even worse when the left arm doesn't know what the left at is doing, and doesn't even know a right arm exists...

flybyjohn; Sorry. I should not make fun. It truly would be the worst job ever to work at the man's position. It's just that I've had SUCH bad luck with Remington products in the last year. I'm done with Remington and as far as possible the "Freedom Group in general. Apologies. Gp

Boolit Buddy

Forensics. Get ready

Ok quiz time. Get out you CSI gear because the following is going to test your skills. First what does the Repair work done document say?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7C44768A-12F9-4119-BA27-EB45887164FE.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	213144

That’s right I read that as replaced barrel.

Now here is a picture of the end of the barrel I just got back.

Name:	DB2862D1-2B9E-49BD-9623-8569731635C1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	213145

Ok I think to myself that looks almost as bad as the one I sent in. So I go and have a look at the previous pictures on my phone and low and behold a twin barrel.

Name:	45AB59A0-321D-46EA-A02E-509B21002957.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	213146

Now these pictures are taken over six weeks apart one is before sending it in and the other after getting it back.
    So take a good look and zoom in if you need to and tell my if those fingerprints don’t match.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe just some really good consistent tooling?

Boolit Master

Lol what a shame.

Boolit Master

same barrel, and one of the many reasons i call it remingturd!

Boolit Buddy
    Did you notice that the repair order said F500593 RP - BARREL 4.5 45

Does that mean they might have accidentally ordered a .45 acp barrel for it and when they got it said oh well just stick the old one back on and send it back.

Boolit Buddy
    I need to talk to someone higher up there and just have them send me a few barrels and I will send back the ones that are no good.

LOL John. At least they are trying to make you think they fixed it. Mine, they just sent back with a five shot target that someone shot with something, somewhere to prove that my barrel shot just fine and they "Saw no reason for complaint" Never again, no more Remington products for me. P'sOS. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    I call them this morning to confirm that number, and it is indeed a number for a .45 acp barrel. I don't know why that would be anywhere on a 9 mm work order. The other item of the whole 9mm gun also makes me wonder. Why is that on the order form.

They want me to email some pictures and then they will decide what they want to do. I think they have spent more on overnight shipping back and forth then the whole gun cost.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flybyjohn View Post
    Maybe just some really good consistent tooling?
    that was my thought. the tooling for cutting their grooves is consistent. BAD, but consistent.

It would be my guess that the machinework, or broaching, whatever method they are using.. doesn't look like button-swage... is not being done 'here'.

Dumb question here... besides the exact flaws in the bore, are there any marks on the outside that would definitely prove that it's the same barrel?

Boolit Buddy
    There are two dents on the side of the barrel chamber portion on the outside that were there previously that don't look like they are supposed to be there. Almost like it was clamped in something. Seeing them on the barrel I got back, I thought at first "hey maybe that is supposed to be there since it is on this barrel too." Now I am sure that they are not supposed to be there and it was on both barrels. I don't have previous pictures of the outside of the barrel though.

I have compiled the pictures in one photo and rotated them so that it was easier to match up together. Three top pictures from Nov 11, 2017 and three bottom pictures from Jan 31, 2018, before and after sending it in for replacement.

Name:	before and after barrel replacement1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	213174

Boolit Master

Now this begs a question... I wonder about the steel quality, and composition.

Looks lil the parent bore was polished well, prior to cutting, but there are marks on the lands near the muzzle

Lastly... Since all repair so far has netted an identical tooling cut look... Is it possible that is simply what they are considering 'normal' and as such, why it is not being corrected when sent in?

Boolit Buddy
    If there is any doubt, then here is a close up of two of the pictures. A tool can cut very similar but to be able to rip metal on two different pieces of metal the same in all 5 spots shown in these pictures is probably impossible.

Attachment 213175

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Now this begs a question... I wonder about the steel quality, and composition.

Looks lil the parent bore was polished well, prior to cutting, but there are marks on the lands near the muzzle

Lastly... Since all repair so far has netted an identical tooling cut look... Is it possible that is simply what they are considering 'normal' and as such, why it is not being corrected when sent in?
    The polished lands was from me trying to get rid of the cuts on the lands the first time I got the barrel back. The lands were so rough that it tore my cloth patch the first time I pushed it through the barrel. I took to it with lapping compound and JB bore polish but the marks were just so bad I could not get them to come out.

The handgun has been sent in two times so far. The first time only had deep marks down one groove, the lands and forcing cone were nearly perfect. there was a little grove on the lands after the forcing cone a little ways but still far superior to the barrel they replaced it with. I contacted them and told them the barrel was worse. Sent it in a second time and this time the same barrel came back after they told me it was replaced.

original barrel came with the gun when new. Only one bad groove.
    Attachment 213176

the other pictures just above are what came back after the first and second return.
    Last edited by flybyjohn; 02-01-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Boolit Master

Ouch...

Boolit Master

I'd ask about the rifling tooling...

Boolit Master

ha I would ask for a refund.

Boolit Buddy
    I talked to them a few times today. I found four other spots on the barrel in my pictures that show that it is indeed the same barrel they sent me and I emailed them to Remington. I called to make sure they got the pictures and they said they did. I asked the polite lady on the phone if she thought it was the same barrel and she said she didn’t know for sure because that is not her Area of expertise. I asked if I could talk to somebody further up the chain of command they could tell me if there was another barrel in stock before I sent this in again. They said they would walk my order over to a supervisor and have him call me shortly. I said thank you you have been a lot of help and hung up waiting for my call back.

5 hours later I I called again because they had not called me yet. I talk to the same customer service rep and asked if I could talk to her supervisor she said she would take my phone number and have them call me back I said that happened last time and they never called me back so I’ll hold. She said there’s no way for her to transfer me to the supervisor. I said that’s OK I’ll wait on hold you can go and talk to him and come back. She put me on hold for about 15 minutes. She then got back on the line and said she would transfer me to the supervisor. The supervisor got on the line. I explain my whole situation again. He asked me if I just wanted a whole new gun. I said the trigger on this gun is just fine all I need is a barrel, can you guarantee me there will be a barrel for it if I send it in. He said no but I can guarantee you a new gun or a refund. He said this has escalated to a point where there were too many notes on the order form for them to do a barrel replacement at this time.

I asked what the repair parts order numbers stood for and why 45 barrel was ordered for my 9 mm. He stated that the same part number is used for both 9 mm and 45 because the slide is the same between the two. I said how can you have the same part number for both the 45 and 9 mm. Although the 45 barrel may fit in a 9 mm slide, you cannot shoot 9 mm through a 45 barrel, so you must have to be able to differentiate between 45 and 9 mm barrel or how would you know which barrel you are going to get.

I never got admitance of any mistake that they made. They would never agree that they did indeed send out the same barrel. Well, Remington, if your listening. How about “ we are sorry we made a mistake, how can we make it right”. Instead I got “ this repair invoice has got to many notes on it now to have just the barrel replaced so would you like a refund or a new gun.”

Well enough for now. I’ll let you know how it goes later.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast