MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would Remington warranty this barrel?

Boolit Buddy

Would Remington warranty this barrel?

This post might not belong in this thread. But I thought this area would have the expertise to tell me the answer to my question. I purchased this 9 mm Remington RP9 a few months ago and noticed with the naked eye a little flaw in the barrel. After shooting it a bit and cleaning out really good I put a magnifying glass on the barrel and noticed his little flaw was actually a lot of little metal pieces that have been torn out of the barrel when they were machining it. Do you think this would qualify for Remington’s warranty.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD098274-9C55-4701-B6C3-70732D4546D8.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	207955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1A060E8-EE12-4E5F-A53F-95586AB8FFB8.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	207956
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1A060E8-EE12-4E5F-A53F-95586AB8FFB8.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	207956
    This goes the full length of the barrel down one groove.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes....

Those are referred to as "chatter marks", presumably from the rifling cutter.

It should be replaced, but only Remington can answer your question, as to whether it's under their warranty, so I suggest you call the Remington CS manager and arrange to send the pics, so they can tell you whether or not to send it in.

https://www.remington.com/contact-us

Maybe you'll luck out, and only need to send in the barrel.

BTW, don't forget - if you need to send it in, ask for a pre-paid shipping label to be sent to you, so you can send it in on their dime.

(It's legal, under Federal Law, for a private firearm owner to both send & receive their firearm, w/o having to use an FFL, when sending said firearm to an FFL for repair and/or customization)

Last edited by pietro; 11-18-2017 at 07:54 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

In machining, chatter is the vibration that feeds on itself as the tool moves across the part. What you have appears to be a broach cut barrel using a dull or damaged broach. The damage areas are from the base metal tearing due to the dull or damaged broach. It should have never made it through quality control.

Boolit Master

that should absolutely be warrantied, as its a defect in manufacture. only way to know for sure is to contact them.

I had a Remlin 45-70 Cowboy who's barrel had even larger CHUNKS missing. It was sent back to Remington for barrel replacement and all I got back was the same rifle-barrel and a note that said they saw no reason for complaint. They sent back a target with five holes in it, shot somewhere in some gun as proof that their crappy cut barrel shot just fine. I've bought my last Remington product. Everything I've bought from them in the last couple of years has been a giant ***. Gp

Boolit Master
    if it shoots a group ok they will say its fine doing what is suppose to do

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, that should be replaced under warranty, BUT I doubt they will.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Turtle is right,if it shoots within SAAMI. spec for calibre,its OK.At least replacing with a custom is cheap and easy,unlike a rifle.

Banned

I'm shocked Remington has a warranty?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I'm shocked Remington has a warranty?
    they pretty much have to as they dont have a QC department!!

Boolit Man
    I"m not surprised you found this in your barrel, and many of the responses are right on, as far as remington quality. A friend of mine has sent back 2 different mod 700 remigton's. This is a true story whitnessed by 2 other people. This friend of mine was out hunting with his GF and friend. He spotted a deer, he shot, his GF said ''you got him''. My friend said, no i didn't, there he goes. His GFfriend said, yes you did, he's laying right over there. Not kidding one bit, there was another deer, laying dead 30 ft to his left at the same distance!! Call it a fluke, call it what ever, but, this is an absolute fact. He sent the rifle back to remington, after calling them, they sent him back a totally different rifle. The rifle he had sent them, had a fantastic piece of wood on it. So, he called them and complained about not getting the stock back with the replacement rifle, and, asked what was the problem with the way this rifle had shot. They would not even talk about the way the other rifle shot, but, after 3 phone calls they did send the other stock back to him.

He made an issue about the ''lost'' stock, so much that after about 3 weeks, they all of a sudden found it. He was very lucky to get that particular stock back, i'm sure of that. I would almost bet some one at remington realized this was an exceptional stock and tried to keep it. His dad also bought a 700 that flat out would not do any better than 2.5'' at 100 yds. No matter the load, or ammo he used. Called them, sent it back, they sent it back with a note saying they had shot it with their high quality ammo and it would shoot would shoot what the factory concidered acceptable accuracy. Its a joke, remington's QC is way down, and, its a shame.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It certainly isn't ideal, however I have had several barrels over the years with very rough grooves. They shot very well, although there was the expected fouling build up.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I have a S&W 27 that had the same chatter marks in the barrel when I first bought it.
    You could only see the marks when the barrel was dirty.
    They replaced the barrel with no problem.
    All work was done at one of their Warranty Repair Gunsmiths that just happened to be 10 minutes from where I was working at the time.
    It made it easier to just carry in the pistol, let them inspect it ,and wait for them to order the barrel
    But I did have to wait a bit, because it was the 5" barrel ,which they had just stopped making at the time.

Boolit Master
    A new stainless steel Ruger .357 double action was brought to me to test fire before a purchase.
    I loaded up some .38 Special rounds and was surprised to find I could actually see the bullets spinning sideways through the air befor dropping to the ground.

On examining the bore, which I should have done before hand, I found there were cuts across the lands the full length of the barrel. That had to have happened when the barrel was first bored out before rifling. Haven't cared much for the Rugers ever since.

Many years ago I got one of the first Ruger Bearcat revolvers. It spit lead back in my face even held at arms length. I have no idea where any of the bullets went. I could see nothing wrong with the timing and the bore looked good. I returned it.
    A few years back I ran across information that might explain this. Apparently some Ruger Bearcats made it through the factory with no forcing cone in the barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Minuteshaver, if I used lead reloads it would not be warranted as written in their warranty��.

However if I did shoot Hitec coated lead bullets, I would have to say that it does not leave any lead in the holes and the bullets that would be caught for inspection don’t show any signs of loosing lead over the bad part of the barrel. The bullets do however show that the lands of the riling are taking off the coating.
    Last edited by flybyjohn; 11-19-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I talked to Remington CS a few weeks ago to find out if it would be warrantied and was told they didn’t know for sure until they looked at it. But they were pretty easy to talk to and where very eager to start a return for warranty claim. I told them I needed it for a few more weeks and then I would return it. I just didn’t want to send it off if there was no chance of getting it replaced. They wanted the whole hand gun because they said they tracked it by the serial no.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with M-TECS as this is not chatter marks but I dead torn steal from a bad tool or material build up that was welded to the tooling duing the machining. Chatter looks like waves in the finished surface. This is a smooth surface with pieces missing below the finished surface level.

I think I will get the warranty process started tomorrow and see if they will do anything for me.

Boolit Master
    It may be a different effect,as i cant see that R would be drilling ,reaming and broaching barrels.I would think either hammerforging or possibly button rifling.The "damage "may be a lamination in the surface of the steel that has torn out under buttoning or flaked out in hammerforging.Its possible that with more rounds the entire surface may flake away.But,its so easy to replace,I couldnt see them refusing,especially if they knew it was publicised on a forum.

Boolit Buddy
    John k. Now that you mention that it does look like there is a smooth surface under the torn out pieces. A torn laminated piece is quite feasible.

On another note, my name is John Kunda. I signed my name on all my papers in grade school John k. When I see your user name, just for a second, I think it is mine.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast