Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Repro M1 Carbine question.

Boolit Master

Repro M1 Carbine question.

Just bought a new reproduction M1 carbine. Before I call Inland Mfg. I will ask here first. When pulling the trigger I would feel something moving besides the trigger. Turns out that if I grab the rear sight that I can jiggle the action in the receiver. So I tightened the only screw I could find and it made no difference. Upon disassembly, the screw I was tightening is a clamp screw and the clamp comes up short of making contact with the receiver.
    Question #1. Can I assume that this clamp is supposed to actually clamp the action securely and not be loose?
    Question #2. Would a fix be to put shims under the clamp?

Thanks
    upnorthwis
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

My carbine is an Inland that I got through CMP. It's an original.......not a repo. The action is held securely in the stock (no movement at all).

I replaced the original stock with a CMP stock (a few years ago & the replacement was for appearance only.......the best I recall).

It sounds to me that the recoil plate screw threads may be bottoming out on the recoil plate before the action is sufficiently clamped. I'd check to see if this is the case. If so, I'd raise the recoil plate enough to allow the needed clamping (shim, Accu-glass or Marine Tex).

I hope this helps.

If needed, I'll pull the metal from my stock & make photos.

Henry

.................................................. .................................................. .........................
    A real sport involves either gasoline or gun powder...........all others are only games.

Banned

When you are levering the barreled action in the stock on a M1 Carbine there should be just a little tension before it is fully bedded. As you know all that holds it in the action is the hook on the rear of the action and the barrel band up front. I believe they say the same thing about the M1 Garand and M14/M1A's when you are glass bedding them that they should be little springy putting them into the stock.

You need to find out why your's isn't.

Boolit Master
    I went ahead and found one of those brass/copper things in the lino bucket and ground it to fit. The action is definitely solid now. Will try it in a few days to see if this reduces the 6-8" groups with any load that cycles the action. Only good groups so far are with very light loads that are single shot only.

Boolit Master

I worked on a repo m1 carbine. I found there is quite a bit of differance in the fit to an original stock. Could the stock be an "other" type?. The fit was all in the recoil plate/hook at the back of the stock, and is it tight?
    Hope this helps.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

When a carbine action is placed into the stock, the proper fit will leave the barrel about 1/2 to 1 inch above the barrel channel. The front band should pull the barrel downward and hold the barrel down in the channel. If the barrel does not sit high, the problem is with the fit of the recoil plate to the receiver. You need to put a thin shim behind the lower part of the recoil plate to change the angle so that the barrel stays slightly elevated. This will give the action a positive lock into the stock and reduce or eliminate any slop. Movement of the trigger group in an assembled carbine has NO effect on accuracy so don't try to tighten that up. You could end up destroying the carbine. And don't try to reduce the trigger pull either. If you try, you stand a good chance of having the carbine go FA on you. Sear adjustment and lighter trigger or hammer springs are NOT a good idea in M1 carbines.

Boolit Master

Personally I would deal with the company long before getting advice from any internet site IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    Before I call Inland Mfg. I will ask here first.
    I'd call the manufacturer first. Go from there.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    So I finally called them. Was just as I expected. They will fix it under warranty but it's going to cost me $40/50 to ship it to them. Not worth it. I'll wait to see if something else goes wrong before sending it.