Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traditions has new single shot rifles in 35, 357mag and 44mag. Anyone tried one?

Boolit Master

Traditions has new single shot rifles in 35, 357mag and 44mag. Anyone tried one?

I was doing a search for Henry's and this popped up: https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/c...y/outfitter-g2
    Anyone have any experience with the company/guns? Finding a 357 mag rifle and one under $600 is a very intriguing idea.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

I've been looking at them for a couple weeks.
    No iron sights has kept me from buying.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

Has anybody thought about rechambering one to 357 Maximum?
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master

I'm sure someone will. I don't understand why people do that. Seems like those that do sell them off. If you want a more powerful cartridge get the 44 mag. Or is it one of those "because I can" things.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WebMonkey View Post
    I've been looking at them for a couple weeks.
    No iron sights has kept me from buying.
    I'm sure you could get a Skinner sight for the back sight and just get the front sight drilled and tapped on, still cheaper than a Marlin.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    I'm sure someone will. I don't understand why people do that. Seems like those that do sell them off. If you want a more powerful cartridge get the 44 mag. Or is it one of those "because I can" things.
    I'm interested in this conversion because I have 125 rounds of loaded ammo and no weapon to fire it.
    Last edited by wch; 11-18-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Boolit Master

Keep an eye on Graybeards forum in the Handi Rifle section. You'll see 357 Max listed every now and then.

Boolit Master

Keep an eye on Graybeards forum in the Handi Rifle section. You'll see 357 Max listed every now and then.
    Thanks, will do.

Boolit Master

They aren't making a 357. They have the 308 and 44 mag, but no 357.

Boolit Master

They aren't making a 357. They have the 308 and 44 mag, but no 357.
    The rifle listed in the buds gun shop link is a 357 for $432 with scope.

Nevery mind, I think you may have been referring to the CV line of single shots

Boolit Master

Well Ruger, CVA, Rossi and Henry. Seems like Traditions is the only one making the 357 under $500.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    A nice .357 single would be fun to play with on the range .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm glad I bought my 357 Handi Rifle when i did. It seems like the demand for a good single shot 357 is high so maybe Traditions will fill that void? Looking at the MSRP for the bare rifle without the scope seems a bit high as compared to what the Handis were but maybe they are worth it? or not? I've never handled one so am wondering what the quality, fit and finish are, etc.

I know a lot of folks have reamed their Handi to 357 Max and to each their own. I've had no desire to do that though. I've fired everything from 38 Colt Short, 38 Colt Long, 28 Special and 357 out of mine - both smokeless and BP nd am very pleased with he results (cast only). The chamber on mine is deeper as most are and I did pick up some 360 DW Starline brass to use in it. I have two different NOE 200 gr molds - FN and RN. I haven't had the opportunity to really work with that combination but I have loaded up dummy rounds and they chamber just fine in my Handi.

I kind of agree on the 44 over the 357 Max but if you only have the one rifle in 357, it does give you the option of the MAX without having to have a barrel in 44 or another rifle in 44. I passed on a Hani chambered in 45 Colt and wish now that I had bought it.

If someone has or has handled one of the Traditions, it would be nice to hear your thoughts on them.

Boolit Buddy
    One reason to ream to max was the long throated chamber NEF put in the rifles. Also, you can get a proper leade in the chamber with the correct reamer. SAMMI spec has a forcing cone in the barrel.

Banned

sounds/looks like they're attempting to fill the defunct H&R gap. IF that's the same 'traditions' company that hawks those spanish built trad muzzleloaders, beware.

Boolit Master
    I have shot the 44 mag traditions rifle and it was really accurate. I really didint like the plastic stock but it wasent that bad . The rifle looked decent .

Quote Originally Posted by geezer56 View Post
    One reason to ream to max was the long throated chamber NEF put in the rifles. Also, you can get a proper leade in the chamber with the correct reamer. SAMMI spec has a forcing cone in the barrel.
    SAAMI Max reamer drawing also specifies a pilot that is .346" diameter, which will give you an off-center chamber like as not. Call Manson. About 5-6 years ago Dave and I worked out a neat way to regrind that lousy forcing cone into a proper throat. At the same time we made it a loose-pilot reamer so you can use a pilot that fits your bore correctly. It didn't even cost the moon and starts.
    Last edited by uscra112; 11-28-2017 at 12:22 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    SAAMI Max reamer drawing also specifies a pilot that is .346" diameter, which will give you an off-center chamber like as not. Call Manson. About 5-6 years ago Dave and I worked out a neat way to regrind that lousy forcing cone into a proper throat. At the same time we made it a loose-pilot reamer so you can use a pilot that fits your bore correctly. It didn't even cost the moon and starts.
    I did something like that on my .430 reamer ..... Made up a Like DuMore grinder using a dremel mounted on my tool post of my lathe !!! Thing you can
    do when there is a need! It worked out Great !!!! .44 cal is Great

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master

Man we went down a rabbit trail. Has anyone used one of these guns? Are they worth it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast