Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star of David on Mauser

Geometrical figures are often adopted by various groups and nations as their symbol. The 6 point star and the swastika were both well know figures before Israel and the Nazis appropriated them.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I recently got a copy of Mauser Military Rifles of the World by Robert Ball. Tons of info on Mausers from everywhere - I'll be looking for an Ethopian and a Latvian Mauser to add to my collection. Just kidding. Every country had a Mauser version.
    Actually I believe Latvia did have its own version of the Mauser in .303 British. I don't think it went into production. It was a common practice for smaller European countries that had acquired large quantities of British MGs left over from WW1 to issue gun crews with rifles of the same caliber as the MG even if the standard infantry rifle was of a different caliber.

The Latvian .303 Mauser used a copy of the Rigby sporting rifle magazine and floor plate developed for converting Mauser actions to feed rimmed or belted big game cartridges.

Boolit Master
    Yep, both countries are represented in the Mauser book.
    I picked up the Spanish Mauser today. The receiver, mag floor plate, stock and bolt are matching, though you have to look really hard to see the number on the bolt. I don't see any numbers on the barrel ring.
    I bought it home and tried to chamber an empty 7x57 case, but the bolt would not close. I tried another, and another, but it would not close. I measured the cases, scratched my head and then it dawned on me - they were fired cases from my Remington Rolling Block. DUH. I resized them and all is well.
    The wood is beat up, dinged and dented, used but not abused. I definitely don't want to refinish it since the cartouche is still on the stock (it matches the Spanish crest and date on the receiver).
    I'll get some pics.

Boolit Master
    Here's a few pics (I haven't cleaned the rifle at all). I'm not sure what to do with the wood.
    The rifle above the Mauser in the last pic is a 1907 Winchester Self Loader .351 that I got a few weeks ago for cheap money. I already had one but what the heck...

Boolit Master
    Loewes were Jewish bankers.And the owners of Mauser,Ludwig Loewe,DWM,Half share in FN,OWG Steyr.And numerous machine tool and manufacturing companies.Sigmund Loewe was the general manager of Vickers,Sons and Maxim.And the star was a Zionist mark on the guns.A sort of Jewish group ownership symbol.The name is pronounced "lerver" in english.Parts of the business were confiscated by the Allied Armaments Commission,especially to do with the diesel fuel systems of submarines.The Nazis confiscated the rest in 1934.

Boolit Bub
    In the late 80's quite a few MG34 part sets were imported that were marked prominently with the star of David on the identification section of the barrel jacket. All were made by "dot" (the German WW2 code for CZ Brno) and dated 1945. After adoption of the MG42, dot was slated to be the only remaining manufacturer of the '34 for the duration for those applications that were unsuited to the 42 design.

These guns were unquestionably exported to Israel, and probably manufactured post war with left over parts from WW2. It is also common to find late production, chrome lined mg 34 barrels marked with the star.

Interestingly, BSW a very early manufacturer (1936) of the MG34 was Jewish owned. It was expropriated by the Nazis in 1939 and became known as code dfb/ Gustloff Werke.Attachment 208680

Boolit Master
    I cleaned the wood and found a matching serial number on the stock directly under the serial number on the receiver. The star is stamped on many parts, including the screws.
    The wood is still dinged and dented, but clean. I've put on five coats of boiled linseed oil so far (one a day for a week, one a week for a month, one a month for a year). I might stop at seven coats.
    The bore is in great shape. I thought the cleaning rod was broken - it's about 17" long - but that's how they came.

You got a good one there. All the different receiver crests on Mausers are fascinating to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    Interestingly I found that the star of David only became closely associated with the Jews during the 19th century.
    It has been a part of a number of religions and national traditions. Still is but seldom seen in any other context.

Kinda/sorta like Native American & ancient Southern Asian pre-Nazi's used a device similar to the Nazi Swastika as a religious icon.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned
    I bet it shoots great

I remember looking at the Rifles at Navy arms showroom decades ago... they had K98 Mausers with Nazi "deaths head" markings and the receiver originally marked with a big German Eagle clutching a swastika in it's talons... I'd have loved to meet the Israeli Armorer than Overstamped the Nazi eagle with the Mogen David six pointed star as uncharateristically were not ground down as was normally the case, but were left clear and bright. additionally some soldier in the field had a similar sense of humor as the Mogen David was filled with gold (presumably paint)

But these rifles were all re-barreled to 7.62x51 for their new Israeli owners.

and all Nazi proofmarks were over-stamped with six-pointed stars as well they were very thorough and careful to frame any swasticas in the center of the star. I wish I had bought one!

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I was looking at an 1893 7x57 Spanish Mauser tonight. The store says it's an "Israeli re-issue" based on the apparent Star of David stamp. I've been searching online for some time now, and I'm still not sure if they're right or not. There's a lot of opinions and guesses online concerning that star, but nothing concrete. I ordered "Mauser Military Rifles of the World" by Ball, and it should be here Monday.
    I tried to take some pics with my phone but they didn't come out. These are some of the markings I remember:
    Serial number is A6532.
    "Mauser Espanol 1893"
    Loewe Berlin
    Any ideas on the Star?
    It looks like it's all matching. The bore is good, the wood is beat up but not cracked or rotten anywhere. There's a faint cartouche on the stock.
    They're asking $280.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12