WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: WC872 strikes again!

Boolit Buddy

WC872 strikes again!

Read that WC872 works well in duplexing for main charge in 45/70. Yep, works great! Low SDs, good groups. Also read that it shines in 6.5-55 Swede pushing 140 gr jacketed bullets. My grandson has a 98 Mauser sporter that I built him, and last fall drew an Idaho moose tag.. I loaded him up some 140 gr Nosler Partitions over 55 gr WC872, and he smacked a nice trophy bull with one. Certifiable grave yard dead! I took a little 94 Swede out this evening, and used the same charge behind a Hornady 140 interlock on a butter-fat whitetail doe at 150 yds..same result. She will put in a cold hard winter in my freezer. Gotta love a cheap surplus powder getting all that done, for $7 per lb delivered!!

Boolit Master

I also have been using WC 872 in my Krag. I'm shooting 47 gr. behind the NOE311299 sized .311" and it shoot to point of aim at my 80 yd. range. I'm also using it in my '06 with the same bullet. It leaves a little soot in the barrel but I'm OK with that. Very happy with the results and can't beat the price. I notice that Bartlet's price is going up but Pat's is still $48.00 for eight pounds.

Ken

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Can't ask for any better performance in any mid sized rifle cartridge.

I still need to try it in .35 Whelen,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    55 gr of WC872 needs to be drop tubed to settle down into the neck. I leave the powder funnel over the case and vibrate the case with an electric engraver held against the side of the brass. The powder settles down so you can start a bullet and lightly compress the powder as you seat it.

Boolit Grand Master

I still shoot 78.0 grs WC872 in my 264 Win Mag with 140 gr bullets. I have used it in the 270 Win with 130 and 150 gr, 7mm RM with 160 and 175, 300 Weathby 180, 300 RUM with 180,190,200 and 220 gr in jacketed. With cast in 8mm,7.62 Russian, 06 and many more, it really likes the heavy bullets.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Load in the 6.5/55 chronographed at 2450 fps (140 gr Nosler Partitions). 21" barrel. Haven't checked the speed in the 17" barrel of the Swede 94.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    I also have been using WC 872 in my Krag. I'm shooting 47 gr. behind the NOE311299 sized .311" and it shoot to point of aim at my 80 yd. range. I'm also using it in my '06 with the same bullet. It leaves a little soot in the barrel but I'm OK with that. Very happy with the results and can't beat the price. I notice that Bartlet's price is going up but Pat's is still $48.00 for eight pounds.

Ken
    Who is Pat????

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post

Ken
    Pat got more? number?

Boolit Grand Master

Charter Member #148

Boolit Bub
    So are Y"all duplexing these wc872 loads in the 6.5's or running them straight? thanks, S.

Boolit Master

I have been using it in 43 spanish and 45 70 with good results.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Cavhasbeen, I'm loading the WC872 straight in the Swede. CCI 200 primers. Getting 2450 fps. 140 gr bullets. See above for getting the case to take all that powder. No over-pressure evident in my rifles. YMMV.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you sir! I don't at this time shoot a Swede but there is a 6.5 X 284 with a near new 30" Shilen keeping company with the dust bunnies. If I catch up on my other shooting projects this winter i may have to dive into that particular pool.