RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tennis elbow

tennis elbow

Doc just told me I've got chronic tennis elbow and it's my bullit casting that has caused it.
    Other than spending $2500 Au. for a Magma Mastercaster I don't know how to go on from here. Anybody designed a tool to hold and turn the standard 4 gang molds so it doesn't need to be done by hand?
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Wear one of the pressure band's the tenis pros wear. Cured mine.

Boolit Master

Had surgery to repair mine 15+ years ago, still no issues. Followed Dr orders specifically, only took pains meds day of surgery and experienced no post op pain.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    Are you certain you got it from manipulating the mould? I picked up a case of tennis elbow when I was doing a lot (100+ rounds / week) of high power rifle shooting. The culprit was twisting the deburring / chamfering tool in the case mouths by hand after trimming a case. It was the twisting motion that did it. Making an adapter for the tool for use with a cordless drill let me avoid the motion. A course of steroids and use of the brace cured the T.E.

Pulling a dolly with 4 cases of milk over a 6 inch threshhold, arms extended straight caused mine. Visited the Dr three times. A guy at the produce house says to me. " you have a tennis elbow! Keep your elbows bent a little when you pull your dolly over the dock" The problem went away with that advice being used.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Wear one of the pressure band's the tenis pros wear. Cured mine.
    Worked for me, too.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    Sir Gerald Burrard knew someone who was cured of tennis elbow by being mauled by a leopard. He hesitated to recommend it.

Banned

that would surely fix it...

it's a repetitive motion that's causing the problem.
    go stand at your pot and see what motions your making one of them is causing the stress.

simply raising/lowering the pot.
    building a box to rest the mold on.
    letting go of the handles after pouring, then picking it up just long enough to move the mold to another flat surface to open it.
    changing where you dump the bullets.
    all of those will change the angle you are keeping your elbow for hours at a time and alleviate the problem.
    a brace will be a help too but if you keep on doing what your doing it will just mask the problem making it worse.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    that would surely fix it...
    The leopard cure? Not surely, I think, and you'd feel a fool if your tennis elbow resurfaced as bad as ever. I think his case was most likely due to the forced immobilisation.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I've cast for years without any issues, the problem surfaced in Sept when I did a mammoth casting session and did over 6000 bullits in 2 weeks. Doc said the repair time for tennis elbow can be anywhere from 2 months to 2 years, depending on severity and treatment.

Skeettx's video identifies the cause of the problem.
    See where he turns the mold over with his left hand to knock the sprue off, then back again to right the mold. That back and forward twist of the arm is where the problem lies.

I know I need to change what I'm doing, which is why I was thinking about some kind of aid in dealing with mold handling. The problem is that every idea I come up with either can't turn the mold over or becomes a complex piece of engineering beyond my basic home handyman skills.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Twenty some years of Q.C. /Q.A. repetitive motion caused mine. My doctor suggested the band and some ibuprofen. Worked after a while. I used to have to wear the band when firing my heavy recoiling hand guns, but not now. Of course, being unable to fire anything more than a 9mm for over a year probably helped with the healing process.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    The leopard cure? Not surely, I think, and you'd feel a fool if your tennis elbow resurfaced as bad as ever. I think his case was most likely due to the forced immobilisation.
    Or maybe it was death?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Banned

leave the mold turned over.
    the bullets come out that direction too.
    then you can use both hands to turn the mold back over.

if that's you and your dumping them in a bowl try using a box or a towel then you can rest the mold on the bench some or set it down flat taking the weight off your elbows and wrists to flip it over.

Boolit Master

Mine flared up a few years back from shooting about 100 rounds of 429-421s over around 19gr. Hercules 2400. I was getting ready for deer season and I was dialing in My 7.5 inch RSBH. Didn't see any deer. My elbow hurt for a couple months afterward.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Stop playing tennis....problem solved!

Your welcome,
    Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Buddy

Mine would flare up when driving roofing nails in metal roofing, would get so sore could hardly bend my elbow. Started using screws instead of nails, problem solved.

Boolit Bub
    I had the same problem a while back from the repetitive motion of operating the reloading press. The doctor recommended the pressure band and naproxen. I followed his advice and although it took a while, it is doing much better.

Had that problem years ago when I could play tennis. Was working for a 2 star who's daughter was a pro. He gave me a pressure band with the air pad in it. Problem solved. My body tells me when to take a break now.
    Whatever!

Banned

haaa suckers.. I got mine from fishing.
    I 'learned' to fish left handed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast