Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Remington 7400

Boolit Mold

Remington 7400

I'm sure it's been asked before, what are people's opinions on the Remington 7400? Any issues I should look out for? Thinking about one for next year.

You should repost your question under Factory Rifles. You'll get responses there. I've never owned one but I liked the ones I have shot. Not super accurate but good enough for hunting is what I gather.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the advice

If its the pump , my dad has one in 30-06 . Great shooting gun , he just prefers using his model 88 in 308.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

To clarify above post , if Dads Rem.pump was a 308 he would still be using it. He's not a 06 fan.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Banned

Dad's son could make his 0-6 into a 308.

The 7400 and 740 is a semi auto rifle. The 760 is the Remington pump action.

Two issues I have seen are faulty magazines and dirty chambers. Like all semi auto firearms, if there is an issue, check the mag. Dirty or rusty chambers will cause extraction issues. Inspect the chamber well and make sure the feed lips look good and the follower moved freely on the mag. I would also buy an extra new magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    Dad's son could make his 0-6 into a 308.
    Dad wouldnt go that route

I think rfr meant that you can load a 30-06 down to .308 level.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have three, a 74 and two 7400's. Reliable and accuracy on par with any production hunting rifle. Can't recall a hiccup with factory mags. They are not made to be like an AR or AK when a shooter may blast several hundred rounds at a single outing. Keep'em clean, chamber especially, a light coat of oil on moving parts and keep dirt and pocket lint out of the mag. I've heard and read on the net mixed reviews on after-market extended mags. I've got one cheapie 10 rounder and so far no problems with one exception. On one outing after apx 60 or so rds of surplus 30/06 the bolt got sticky. A cooling off, a quickie cleaning of the chamber and a few drops of oil and I was back at it.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    Remington bolt Rifle... YES

Remington pump SHOTGUN ... YES YES

Remington pump rifle? um ill take a pointy stick and get reliability.
    I don't know what you consider reliable, but I have an old model 14 that has been as reliable as a guy can ask for many more years that I have been around.

I have a 7400 carbine in 30-06 and a rifle in 243. To be honest, I would recommend a good light weight bolt action for hunting. These 7400's are too heavy, especially with scopes, to carry up mountains and hunt with all day. They are not as accurate as a bolt action and one tends to rely on shoot and spray more than one good shot. A good SS bolt is what I use now days. Let it rain, which it usually does during deer season. My brother lives in Wisconsin and just bought a Tikka 270 Win SS light weight with fluted barrel and just loves it. I have a Rem. model 7 SS in 260 Rem. that I take deer and pig hunting. Just a thought.
    Last edited by hicard; 11-24-2017 at 02:09 PM.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Master
    I second the recommendation for a good bolt action - not just because of weight but even more so because of the trigger. A good trigger is critical to accuracy in the field, where sand bags and shooting benches are scarce. I'd rather hunt with a 2 minute rifle that had an excellent trigger than a 1 minute rifle with a shotgun-like letoff.

Not that a 7400 is likely to be a 1 minute rifle anyway...

The trigger on a 7400 is less than perfect for demanding shooting. I'd prefer an old 700 with the much-maligned and "unsafe" Walker-designed trigger. The lighter weight and better accuracy would be free bonuses.

Uncle R.

Boolit Master

It is certainly minute of deer accurate, if you are wanting it for something more than occasional deer hunting you should probably choose something else. My son had a 742, it had considerably more issues than the 7400 that replaced it but personally I would avoid it as it doesn't hit any buttons for me.