Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Opening day rifle season

Opening day rifle season

Here in Virginia tomorrow. Storm moving in so I have to take old George ? 30 06 I bought off a guy named George some 40 years ago. lol The rut started about 3 or 4 days ago. Should be a good day .

Boolit Buddy
    We want a report in triplicate asap!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Les Staley View Post
    We want a report in triplicate asap!!!
    Les, Not a good day. When I loaded the 30 06 Sat. morning I noticed the safety was hard to push on. Didn't think much of it because the rifle has been sitting in the cabinet for 3 or more years. Figured it was just a little dry. I seen deer all day. Does and small bucks. About 4pm I seen a pretty nice buck walk out toward the does. Probably a 8 or better. I shouldered the rifle and pushed the safety off and the gun fired ? Deer run every way possible. lol So. I'm using my 4570 now. Didn't see anything today but I already have one in the freezer I got last Monday with black powder. I will tear the 30 06 down after season to see what went wrong. That goes to show that you need to check your equipment out before going afield ? I have had that rifle 40 years with no mishaps . Always a first time.

Boolit Buddy
    Man, that's sure a bummer! What make and model 06? Sometimes to take the barreled action out of the stock and spray down w/carb cleaner, let dry and LIGHTLY oil will do wonders.. Just one suggestion.

Banned

amazing what can happen to a gun just sitting around doing nothing.
    I took out the old super-x which had been sitting in the cabinet for about 7-8 years and it decided it didn't want to release the hammer all of the sudden.
    I pulled it down and it had a bunch of chewed up plastic on top of the trigger group..

Les it is a old Browning Safari . Same as a 98 Mauser just slicked up and a good trigger. Probably just a cleaning and lube will fix it. Not anything complicated about those rifles. The does came back today but no bucks. lol

Boolit Bub
    The adjustable triggers on the side safety mausers are known to “loosen” a bit over time if the the various adjustment screws are not tightened properly or with some type of thread lock. I have worked on and own many interarms markx’s (my screen namesake) with the side safety. Even had a gunsmith not detect issues on a build with a similar situation as yours (don’t use them anymore as my smith). I would start there unloaded and take the rifle through all the recommended safety checks during trigger adjustments. Last one I had an issue with was the spring loaded adjustment screw. Good luck!