Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: magtech 410 brass hulls

Boolit Buddy

magtech 410 brass hulls

ive got some magtech 410 brass hulls here ive been loading and shooting from a Mossberg 500 for a while now . ive always resized them with an rcbs carbide 45 colt sizer die ,it resized all but last half inch or so and pops the old primer out and that's never been an issue till now . I bought a Taurus judge and wanted to load these brass hulls up to try out the judge this weekend so I resized and primed them like always . so afterwards I figured I would try to chamber a few in the judge and that last half inch that isn't resized just isn't gonna work (wont chamber). does anyone have any idea what caliber of resizing die will do a full length resize on this brass ? I was thinking about trying to run them through my mec 600 jr 410 press but that wont work because its designed to punch a 209 primer not a large pistol primer . or would I just be better off buying another box of these brass hulls and having 1 box dedicated for the judge and the other for the Mossberg ?

Boolit Master

Couldn't you take the push rod out of the mec sizer just to size them then use the 45 to prime?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Use a different set of cases.
    The judge chamber will "step" the cases when fired.
    45 colt size then stepped down to .410 bore.

Good luck
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Webmonkey nailed it IMO.

Buy a new box for the Taurus, keep them marked and separated.

They should fire form to fit.

If you have a set available you could try using a .444 Marlin sizing die instead of your .45 Colt die? I've been using a set of .444 Marlin dies for my .303 British cases fire-formed straight that I shoot in my Lee Enfield No. 1 smoothbore single shot in .410 Musket. Might work equally as well with your Mag Tech .410 brass cases and reduce the oversized bases?
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Use the 444 a Marlin brass in a S&W Govonor and a 410 H&R single shot gun. Have a set of 444 Marlin reloading dies for sizing the brass from time to time. Have reloaded the 444 Marlin brass as a 410 shot shells many times with out any problems. The brass shells will last a long time.

Hey sandman228
    Before I got a MEC sizemaster, I used a Lyman 45acp sizer die with the deprime rod out. This was not used on full length brass 410 hulls but did the job feeding a Judge and a buddys 45/410 pistol. Swapping from 45colt to 45acp may work for you too. HTH, best of skill to you.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WebMonkey View Post
    Use a different set of cases.
    The judge chamber will "step" the cases when fired.
    45 colt size then stepped down to .410 bore.

Good luck
    yes I noticed the step with the public defender I owned before . I left that one go in a trade deal and probably shouldn't have . I haven't even gotten a chance to fire this new judge yet but I'm sure it will leave a step in the cases as well .

What is the OD of a new brass 410 shell? Maybe a push through bullet sizer would work with a well-lubed shell. You would have to tap it back out with a wooden dowel but it seems to me it would size the entire length of the shell.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.