Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Lyman 301620 190gr diameter?

Boolit Man

Lyman 301620 190gr diameter?

Hey everyone,

I was just at the local gunship today, and they had a bench full of old bullets, Boolits,moulds, etc that had been moldering in the basement or something. I found a Lyman 301620 190gr mould which had some surface rust on the outside but otherwise appeared to be in good shape for $20 CAD. I picked it up, however I'm having a hard time figuring out what diameter it is. .308, .309, .310??? I can't cast right now to find out as I usually do it outdoors and unfortunately its winter right now (sigh).
    Any info/expertise would be appreciated!

30-30, Congratulations on your find, as that is a rare design! It was the brainchild of E.H. Harrison of the NRA and casts @ .301" (first 3 digits of Lyman's code) so that it could be paper patched to something like .310" or .311". Btw, with a paper patch a hard alloy wasn't needed and it could be driven to ~2,500 fps accurately.

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of info in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook for .308 and .30-06 load data.

Oddly the Lyman manual references NRA work with this boolit in .300 Winchester Magnum but they do not list load data. In any case, "J" bullet data should be fine.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Man
    So, the first three digits are the diameter-that makes so much sense...I don't know if you can tell, but this is my first lyman mould Do the last three digits mean anything? Also, there is an "AM" after the "301620", is that significant? When spring comes I think this should be fun to play around with. Unfortunately the only 30 caliber gun I have at the moment that will shoot cast is a (you guessed it!) 30-30 with a tubular magazine, so I wonder if I can just clip the tip off of the bullet after casting. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to feed them one at a time. Have any of you guys found yourself in a similar situation?

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman mould numbering explanation here:

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/th...old-number-faq

Boolit Man
    Thanks!