MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
PBcastco Load Data

Thread: .38-55 alloy question

Boolit Mold

.38-55 alloy question

I am using the Lee mold .379-250, which I have lapped out to cast a 0.3805" bullet. The bore of my H & R Target rifle slugs out to 0.3805". I am hoping to find an alloy that will bump up upon firing to work in this rifle. The alloy which I intend to try is 96% lead, 1.1% Tin, and 2.9% Antimony. Does everyone think this alloy will do what I need? I have been shooting it with 17.2 grains of IMR 4227. BTW, I do not own a sizer.

Boolit Master

I use a similar alloy, 94-3-3, with the Lee mould in my .375 Winchester running at 1297 fps. Accuracy is good and there is no leading. I wanted to duplicate the original 38-55 load at 1300 fps so I settled on 10.0 grains of Unique. Your load is probably in the 15-1600 fps range which is as fast as a plain base bullet could be expected to run without leading. I think it will bump up but would prefer less antimony if it were mine. The original loadings utilized a 20:1 alloy IIRC, so 5 percent tin and no antimony.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I would think it would bump up, unless you are heat treating.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

I cast 300 gr. CBs from 3 parts straight Pb to 1 part COWW + 2% Sn for smokeless loads launched at around 1275 fps from my Cimarron Highwall. Boolits drop .380-.381 and are loaded 'as cast' after pan lubing with Emmert's. No leading and sub-2 moa accuracy using Shaver Soule sights.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 11-18-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

I use 20-1 in my 38-55 and air cooled. The bullets are 335 grn lyman and a 350 grn old west Nasa I load these over black powder for around 1250 fps. I shoot these out to 500 yards in shilouette matches. they are also pan lubed with either SPG or emmerts improved lubes. I use a homemade cake cutter to remove them from the pan. I get no leading with these loads good accuracy