Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: WOW, a Real Bench again!

Boolit Master

WOW, a Real Bench again!

Wildfire got most of my casting/reloading stuff last year. I did save my dies, a few molds and 900 boolits. Two months ago I couldn't stand it anymore and brought my dies and backup Rockchucker kit back to the new house. The first setup was on a drywall bench. I had to hold the press with my left hand to keep the aluminum deck from flexing. I spent a week trying to figure a 4' bench out of the lumber I had but it only took a few hours to build. Boy, what a difference. I was going to go to work Monday but fine tuned the rotor in the powder measure and cranked out 300 20g/2400 rounds with Miha's 260g 503 boolit. I cranked out 100 5g Clays for my Daughter today and I'm out of brass LOL.

Casting is next, I'm down to 400 booits. I'm doing well otherwise. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails loadbench00.jpg   loadbench01.jpg   loadbench02.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Good to hear that you're back in harness. That's an interesting free standing powder measure stand.

Boolit Master

I can't imagine the difficulty of getting through the wildfire impact. Glad to see you are recovering.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Good example of making do and getting the job done .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Vendor Sponsor

Being old and senile, my memory isn't what it used to be, but, arn't you the man that built a wooden rolling loading bench a year or three ago? Posted pic's of it here? It looked like it did the job and couple be moved in and out of the way as needed.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Not to make light of your situation but when I first read "Wildfire got most of my casting/reloading stuff last year. " I immediately started wondering if she (wildfire) was worth it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Good to hear that you're back in harness. That's an interesting free standing powder measure stand.
    The stand went through the fire along with the (small) Rotor in the new uniflow powder measure. The stand was welded from steel scraps. The 4" rounds were from holes I drilled in 1/4" steel. I picked up some paint for it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Being old and senile, my memory isn't what it used to be, but, arn't you the man that built a wooden rolling loading bench a year or three ago? Posted pic's of it here? It looked like it did the job and couple be moved in and out of the way as needed.
    Yep, it went up with the rest of the casting room. I posted pix so it lives on in cyber space. LOL Next one will be better.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unique View Post
    Not to make light of your situation but when I first read "Wildfire got most of my casting/reloading stuff last year. " I immediately started wondering if she (wildfire) was worth it.
    You dream better than I do. LOL
    Mal

Boolit Master

You have been enduring a trail for sure. Good you're getting back to it.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    My powder came with a strap of metal with two holes so in would fit under a di and hold the measure. Used it that way for awhile then got a RCBS stand. Works better.

Boolit Master
    I never liked the RCBS APS Primer at the front of the bench held with C clamps. Any way you turn the head the strips are in the way so this morning I violated the virgin bench top in order to move it back. 1/4" Carriage Bolts go through the bench with wing nuts on the bottom. The holes were countersunk so the bolt heads are below the surface when the APS primer isn't in use. I painted the powder measure stand. It was one of the few things that burned and was still usable. I started thinking that could bolt down too for the times I "cut" Clays or Unique so it now has a bolt too. The base is 1/2" thick, plenty heavy for most powders.

Construction notes: The handle adjustment bracket on My APS Primer hit the bench before seating the primer. I deleted the last adjusting hole rather than raising the machine higher. I also shaved the corner of the mounting foot so the bolts don't need to be removed. It just rotates into position.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails loadbench03.jpg   loadbench04.jpg   loadbench05.jpg  
    Mal

Boolit Master
    When I moved in this house in 1984, I knew it was home. I built a reloading bench with shelves and everything. I do my casting in the garage about 9 months a year depending on the weather.I had collected over the years. She said it we have a fire and it hit your reloading room: there goes the house. I said you are probably right but it will make a beautiful flame and a nice boom.
    Leadmelter
    MI
    Mal Paso: Sorry to hear your loss. If you need anything to get going, I am sure people on this list would borrow you what you need. I know I would.
    Leadmelter
    MI
    The Great Mitten

Boolit Master

Mal, so glad to see you getting life headed back toward normal!

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I guess it's the wrong time to be looking for casting equipment. Last week I found a RCBS Pro Melt 2, unavailable/ no backorder, for $230. Well the Sale is over and it is now $270, Unavailable/No Backorder. LOL I found 1 used original Pro Melt for $350, which was list price for a new one but since RCBS has nothing in stock anywhere..... I looked at the Lyman pot but wound up buying a new steering gear box for my truck, I was sure about that. LOL

Also looking for a Star Sizer. In 2 weeks I saw one for $600+ used so I guess $400 for a new one, with die, is a good price. If there is someone out there on the fence about selling one, I would give it a good home.

I am Thankful to be back in my home today with a regular kitchen! I've got Sour Dough Starter going again and a loaf of bread rising right now.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Mal

MidwayUSA says that they are overdue to be delivered but they have them @ $270 with a rebate. Tried to see how much rebate but it just said $10~$174...Quien sabe'?

Hope you find one.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Its good to see you getting back on your feet again! That was a tough lick My Friend!

I am happy to hear you are recovering from the fire. It sure underlines the old saying... One day at a time. Put a post in Helping hands. Members know to look there to help others and they do want to help.