Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxPBcastcoRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Any ruger mk1 collectors

Boolit Master

Any ruger mk1 collectors

Went to checkout my uncles collection and found 3 nice ruger mk1s black eagle heavy 7" barrel pistols and a few Lugers.
    Can anyone tell me what the Rugers are worth? Very nice working guns with about 50-75% of blue I got still.
    These are only a few of many in the collection, also has a few colt ace conversions in near perfect condition, did find a 45acp Luger in the collection but looks like one that was made of two guns, note on says it's a shooting prototype, will take it to the range in a few weeks and see if it shoots.

I've got one myself, but can't give you a very good price estimate. I saw one the other day on an online auction with a $130 bid, but I don't know if that was the final bid. Your uncle has an interesting collection.

Boolit Master

got several of them. the last one I bought was nib never fired and cost me 350 bucks from a small gun dealer. need to find some more mags for them.

Boolit Master
    have one a target model with ruger thumb rest grips and muzzle brake. I shot expert with it.

it likes federal standard velocity

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Wait a minute you have a .45 ACP Luger ?!? I would definitely talk to a collector about that one .......... or maybe an appraiser .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    there was someone making .45 acp lugers in the 80's. he used two frames and welded them together to get a frame wide enough.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    OK , I was thinking of the trial guns from early in the last century .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    The Lugers you guys are referring to are probably the kind built by the late John Martz. He was known one for being an expert custom gunsmith but also he made a number of custom Luger and P38 customs. I believe most of his guns were made from non matching parts that were reserialized once the custom gun was done. Theres some great YouTube video from Forgotten Weapons on the Martz guns very recently as a bunch are selling in the upcoming RIA auction. Martz made some exquisite guns and he made reproductions the the famed .45acp trials Lugers for guys that wanted one but can't afford the ridiculous price of the real deal.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    I collect Rugers. The MKI's you are discussing are interesting,,, but more details would be needed to access a value. An important thing would be the serial number,, which would help in determining the year of manufacture. Condition is also a key thing. You mentioned the blueing was 50-75%. Big difference in that much of a spread. Good pics would help a lot. You mentioned barrel length at 7" but it's most likely 6-7/8". With the adjustable sights,,, it'd be called a Target Model.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 69daytona View Post
    SNIP...
    3 nice ruger mk1s black eagle heavy 7" barrel
    ... 50-75% of blue
    From the Photo's, I'm seeing the 6 7/8" target barreled pistols.
    I've owned many different Ruger 22 auto pistols over the years.

Here's my 2˘
    If they are that worn evenly from use, even if they had a desirable serial #, they are likely quite worn inside as well, I can't imagine a Ruger worn as such, being collectible at all, my guess at value would be about $200.

If they are worn from handling/cleaning/fondling and not from shooting, they are probably worth having re-blued. my guess at value would be $300 as is, or $500 to $600 if the person re-bluing it, does a exceptional job.

Collectors are gonna want a box...any boxes?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    GONRA figgers these are Just Wonderful Shooters (like mine purchased in 1958)
    and of little interest to collectors because they're So Common, Zillions produced, etc.
    UNLESS NIB, UNFIRED.
    (Mine has 10,000's rds. thru it and it Just Keeps On Shootin'...)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    The Lugers you guys are referring to are probably the kind built by the late John Martz. He was known one for being an expert custom gunsmith but also he made a number of custom Luger and P38 customs. I believe most of his guns were made from non matching parts that were reserialized once the custom gun was done. Theres some great YouTube video from Forgotten Weapons on the Martz guns very recently as a bunch are selling in the upcoming RIA auction. Martz made some exquisite guns and he made reproductions the the famed .45acp trials Lugers for guys that wanted one but can't afford the ridiculous price of the real deal.

Years ago there was a magazine article on the Fabrication of the .45 Lugers (Shooting Times I think) from 2 9mm Lugers. As I recall, he was able to have access to one of the handful (5 I think) .45ACP Lugers made up for the US Army Trials where the 1911 became the US Official Pistol. Once again if memory serves me, there were 100 of these to be made - at a retail price of $10,000.00 each I think. The article title was something like "The Million Dollar Gun" because supposedly only (1) .45 ACP Luger was known to be in existence. Making 100 at a $10,000.00 price tag was supposed to equal the $1M gun. Least, thats is how memory serves me on that article long ago.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

He has three 45 Lugers, 2 are Martz guns one being his first working prototype, that's the one in the pic, the other is more refined with original looking Luger grips.
    The third one is a Krause 45 Luger serial number 1, these were made from scratch off of original blueprints, you can tell the difference big time when they are side by side.
    Also has a Chinese made 45 broomhandle, very nice gun but very heavy, going to try and get him to let me take a few of them out to shoot, if I get to will post pics here.

Boolit Master

I only have a few regrets concerning firearms I Did Not buy; but the Chineese .45 broom handle is one. I remember them being listed in the old Shot Gun News and thought "I want one - but I'll wait a few months when money is more available", well I waited and they disappeared never to be seen again on listings. Ohh well, you can't own them all.
    Mustang

Boolit Master
    what is a 50th anniversary Ruger Mk1 worth?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    what is a 50th anniversary Ruger Mk1 worth?
    If you mean the MKII made in 1999?
    I suspect if it's NIB and unfired, you'd get an extra $50 to $100 over the value of a Standard model MKII
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    As noted above,,, the common variations of the MKI pistols aren't worth anything except as a shooter. BUT,,, there are variations,,, that no matter what the condition,,, command premiums. Ever seen an Armex Ruger? A well used one sold for $1200 a while back. The devil is in the details,,,,!