Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy wants a RUGER ( 8514 AR 556 )

Boy wants a RUGER ( 8514 AR 556 )

http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556M...eets/8514.html

RUGER ( 8514 AR 556 ) THIS IS WHAT WERE LOOKING AT FOR MY COUSINS BOY, HIS MOM SAID HE COULD HAVE ONE. HE HAS HIS OWN MONEY. I WAS QUOATED 720$ LOCALY FOR THIS GUN,

WHAT DO YOU TINK WE SHOULD PAY FOR THIS THEY WILL HAVE TO ORDER IT FOR US.

MIDWAY HAS THE / free shipping
    Vortex Optics Strike Eagle Rifle Scope 30mm 1-6x24mm 1/2 MOA Adjustment Illuminated AR-BDC Reticle, sale price is 330$ with a free
    Vortex Optics Cantilever 1-Piece 2" Extended Scope Mount Picatinny-Style with Integral 30mm Rings AR-15 Flat-Top Matte
    Magpul AFG Angled Forend Grip AR-15 Polymer is cheaper at the local gun shop for 22$
    THATS 1072$ PLUSE TAX

Lower receiver is fitted with Magpul® MOE® grip and MOE SL™ collapsible buttstock on the Mil-Spec buffer tube.

• Handguard is free-floating for accuracy and the slim, 15" length provides enhanced ergonomics and support.

• Made from aerospace-grade 7075-T6 aluminum forging, the flattop upper receiver includes a forward assist, dust cover and brass deflector, and is Type III hard coat anodized for maximum durability.

• Bolt is machined from 9310 alloy steel and is shot peened and pressure (proof) tested to ensure strength, structural integrity and durability.

• The Ruger® Elite 452™ AR-Trigger is a two-stage trigger that offers a smooth, crisp, 4.5 pound trigger pull. It features a full-strength hammer spring for consistent primer ignition and a lightweight hammer that enables a 30% faster lock time over standard MSR triggers.

• Rifle-length gas system provides smoother operation and reduces felt recoil.

• Magpul® M-LOK® accessory attachment slots along the 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 positions with additional slots on the angled faces near the muzzle.

• Cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with ultra-precise rifling provides exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning. The 1:8" twist rate stabilizes bullets from 35 to 77 grains, and the 5.56 NATO chamber allows the use of both 5.56 NATO and .223 Rem. Ammunition. M4 feed ramps provide improved operational reliability, and the matte black nitrided finish provides corrosion resistance.

• Chrome-plated bolt carrier inside diameter and chrome-plated gas key inside diameter provide exceptional resistance to hot gases. The gas key is staked so that it will not loosen after extensive firing. A matte black oxide finish on the exterior of the bolt carrier provides corrosion resistance.

• Ruger® muzzle brake is a radial port design that significantly reduces felt recoil and muzzle movement. The 1/2"-28 threaded barrel allows for standard muzzle accessories to be installed.

• Also includes: One, 30-round Magpul® PMAG®.

I had a post that I want a 6x45, I'm thinking he may let me put a custom barrel on this at some point and I can shoot it and use the bullets I make.

Banned

First most the nomenclature listed is about standard for a quality AR. I'm not sold on hammer forged barrels being the most accurate. With that said, and just my opinion, there are equally good AR's out there a lot cheaper.

Hammer Forged Barrel

I don't know anything about these guns, I've seen the Ruger's at the range and they were shooting very good groups, I was told there are several parts of the gun that are upgraded from the cheaper AR's. the gun shop said they could not build one for this price with what's on the gun.
    He tried to send me in a different direction, A friend said to shoot it till the Barrel goes then put what he wants in it. Like most 14yr old kids he wants to shoot coyotes this is a starter unit for him as he gets older I'm sure he will learn what to upgrade it with.
    Thanks for the reply's

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    First most the nomenclature listed is about standard for a quality AR. I'm not sold on hammer forged barrels being the most accurate. With that said, and just my opinion, there are equally good AR's out there a lot cheaper.
    I agree. Palmetto state armory comes to mind.

Get him a Smith and Wesson AR-15 for around $500. Then spend the rest of the money on ammunition to improve his skill-set. I have seen and known lots of youngsters with AR-15s that are all tricked out and they can't shoot worth a flip. Don't over scope the gun, the 223 is at best a 200-yard deer cartridge. Teach the kid to run that gun right and he will decide what he needs or doesn't need later on. Of course this is all just my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    the 223 is at best a 200-yard deer cartridge.
    That would be a stretch. Many states have minimum caliber requirements and the 223 falls under most of those requirements. That AR is a fine varmint gun but deer gun? Not in my woods.

Got to remember what the cartridge was created for in the first place, it was meant to wound a soldier not kill him. A wounded soldier takes about 6 men to get him off the battlefield, and this is 7 guns that are not shooting at you during this time. From one bullet's strike.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Lots of people buy Rugers because they are cheaper .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    That would be a stretch. Many states have minimum caliber requirements and the 223 falls under most of those requirements. That AR is a fine varmint gun but deer gun? Not in my woods.

Got to remember what the cartridge was created for in the first place, it was meant to wound a soldier not kill him. A wounded soldier takes about 6 men to get him off the battlefield, and this is 7 guns that are not shooting at you during this time. From one bullet's strike.
    Doug not picking an argument with just want to talk about some things. The M16 has killed me with a single shot further then that. I'd say man is pretty comparable to a white tail deer in size. Also we've all heard that about just would a soldier to take him out of action so take more men to carry him out. I ask all of you that trained in the Army and Marines, did they specifically teach you to shoot to wound and not kill? I bet not. A lot of soldiers on both sides seem to keep shooting until you don't move anymore. It makes logic, but I don't know the truth to it. I don't think the ballistic experts that design the cartridges set at the conference table and say "Okay, we have to design a cartride for our military that doesn't kill a person, but just wounds them". See what I'm talking about?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Lots of people buy Rugers because they are cheaper .

Jack
    Ruger isn't so cheap anymore.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    The M16 has killed me with a single shot further then that.
    I'm sure they didn't set out to create the cartridge to wound, but the very action of the bullet when it hits flesh and bone is to deflect and it can hit you in the leg and travel upwards into the torso pretty easily, it tends to flip in tissue instead of going through like the 30 caliber battle rounds do. Hence the reputation for wounding. And this may be more hearsay than fact, I admit. But I still wouldn't hunt whitetail with it at 200yds.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post

We're not using fmj on deer, Doug. And all across our state hundreds of deer drop from a .223 55 gr. JSP like a hammer hit them. I've personally only killed six with a .223. They died instantly. I prefer bigger calibers but if the law allows it a .223 suits fine.

A couple months ago, I bought the basic Ruger 556 AR from Bud's for $449. I would think that might be a good place for the young man to start. Mine shoots very well for a base model. That way he'd have money left in his pocket. Just my thought. Gp

Banned

The 223/556 appears to kill wild boar pretty efficiently. They're pretty tough critters.

Boolit Master
    My 9 year old grandson kills deer with a 222 with one shot. Opening day this month he killed an eight point and a BobCat the same morning both with one shot.

The model you are looking at is an upgraded model from the cheapest Ruger. It has a really nice 15 inch handguard and Magpul furniture and the upgraded trigger that runs about $130 by itself. I say let him buy that one if that is the one he wants. At the $720 asking price it isn't much cheaper online when you factor in shipping and FFL costs and it is worth the asking price with the upgrades it has compared to the cheaper Palmetto Armory's or Rugers.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    We're not using fmj on deer, Doug. And all across our state hundreds of deer drop from a .223 55 gr. JSP like a hammer hit them. I've personally only killed six with a .223. They died instantly. I prefer bigger calibers but if the law allows it a .223 suits fine.
    Does it tear up meat?

Virginia didn't allow anything smaller than 24 caliber for many years, I don't know if it is still the law there or if it has changed recently.

The AR 556 is an excellent AR. My Brother bought 2 of them and he got the base models at about $525 each. These were bought as defensive Carbines and the only real training him and his son have gotten is a couple of hours training from me and all I could really teach him is how to run the gun to some degree. Certainly not enough !!!

He lives in FL and there are many places to buy these guns. IF the one you are looking at has all the Magpul furniture for $720 I'd go with that.

This gun will be more accurate than the vast majority of people can shoot. It is an "Entry Level AR" which in my book is more than adequate for any perceived use, with the possible exception of 1000 yard shooting. It will be just as reliable as any other AR if correctly maintained, and more than accurate enough for shooting anything you would want to shoot out to 300 yards.

AR's are 300 yard guns, and as such a Red Dot type optic such as a Bushnell TRS 25 ($80) is more than adequate for shooting out to 300 yards and even beyond in a pinch.

Now here's the rub. I say "Better than Most People can shoot" for one reason. Most people don't get any Professional Training, and I'm not talking about the local guy from your area that has an NRA instructors badge.. I am talking a real live shooting school like Front Sight, Gunsite, Sig Academy, Thunder Ranch, etc. These places are ran be people who know how to train an individual up to an acceptable level(well above 90% of common shooters) in less than 5 days with Pistols Rifles or Shotguns, and have been doing it for many years and have trained literally thousands of people. In short they produce repeatable results.

People tend to think that unless an AR costs more than $1500 it is garbage. This shows complete lack of knowledge on the subject, and unless you have been trained by someone who knows you wouldn't be able to understand why that $1500 gun is superior to the cheaper one. Even if it were !!!

The bottom line here is I would recommend buying an entry level gun, spending the extra money on real Professional Training and then if wanted buying add on parts after you know why you need them.

Your son will be a better shooter, sooner, by listening to what I say.

I would take a Trained Shooter with and Entry Level Gun long before I would take a guy with a $1500 gun and no training. There really is no comparison !!!

Here's a pic of my gun. It is a Bushmaster Carbon 15 (lightweight plastic gun.) I added Magpul Furniture and a few doodads. I am into this gun about $800. It is more than adequate for any kind of shooting I might do with an AR. IE: SHTF, Home Defense, plinking, WAR, whatever.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-18-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Thanks for the reply's. Training will be at the top of the list we put him in shooting league this year and he did good with his 12ga.

The upgrades on the gun are a plus for him, He wont have to ask mom for them later!!!! They are not the most expensive upgrades - Magpul but stock and grip is a upgrade the 18" barrel should help some, the free floated front is a nice option and the trigger may be a pulse, time will tell. I have a lot of reloading equipment and a friend in Montana is sending me some brass. Reloading on my RCBS PRO 2000 will save some time for production ammo and we can load some on the single stage for shooting groups.

I have a Corbin set up, but its for 6mm. I may be able to barrow some dies for 223 when he wants to learn how to do that. I'm not going to buy Corbin dies in 223.
    This is a good starter Optics
    Vortex Optics Strike Eagle Rifle Scope 30mm 1-6x24mm 1/2 MOA Adjustment Illuminated AR-BDC Reticle, sale price is 330$ with a free
    Vortex Optics Cantilever 1-Piece 2" Extended Scope Mount Picatinny-Style with Integral 30mm Rings AR-15 Flat-Top Matte

I have been looking at a Ruger precision Rifle in 223 I would put a 6mm Barrel on then I would have a 6x45 and I can use my Corbin dies.
    Last edited by Randy C; 11-18-2017 at 06:00 PM.

This is my cousins boy I have a fare share of old fashion meat and potatoes guns and I've been handing them down to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast