WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Need some Rain Gear.

Need some Rain Gear.

I need some rain gear. I want pants, and jacket. I've never had any, and I dont want to waste my money buying something cheap. I dont want to pay 80.00 though If I can get a 25 dollar set that will hold up as well. Anyone with experience please advise.

~Bazoo

Lots of it depends on what you are doing. FroggToggs are my go to set for most activities- they are synthetic, so don't like exhaust pipes on motorcycles and will not last if you are out brush-popping - but will compact nicely in my day pack for casual outdoor stuff.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Banned
    Yep, all depends on what you intend to do.

Motorcycles pose a whole set of problems. Gear for the woods that is tough enough to not be shredded by thorns is too heavy (noisy) for hunting. Gear for working outdoors in rain comes in different grades.

The waxed cotton barn coats are tough but expensive.
    The lightweight Goretex stuff is really nice but REALLY expensive and I wouldn't wear it in the woods.
    The rubberized jackets and bibs worn on fishing boats are waterproof and hold up well but not well suited for warm weather.
    Motorcycle gear has a lot of advantages (I use mine when pushing snow on a tractor) but it's not hunting gear (not good for walking and is noisy when you move).

You really need to start with the application and go from there.

Moderator Emeritus

Bazoo, I have had good results with a set I bought at Tractor Supply. Cant remember the price but it was much better than a lot of places.....give them a look at least on line.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the replies. Hunting is the main activities that I will use them for. But also some basic stuff round the farm. I aint checked at TSC, didnt think of them, thanks Paul.

Banned
    Rain gear for hunting that's also tough enough to stand up to farm work may be a tough bill to fill. Not impossible but that's a tall order in the low price range.

A tough outer shell with a GoreTex liner would be ideal but that's going to be big bucks.

I really like waxed cotton but it's also expensive and probably not the best hunting gear (some odor, stiff when new). People that work around horses love their old Barbour and Filson jackets (and I'm not talking about the rich horse owners but rather the farm hands).
    I knew a gentleman that was a farm owner and worked that farm until his death. He had an old Barbour waxed cotton jacket that was at least 25 years old. He wore that jacket in wet weather and he was not an office worker! High quality waxed cotton gear isn't cheap but it's a one time expense.

PVC coated fabric is much less expensive, fairly durable and very waterproof but it doesn't breathe at all. It's no fun in warm weather or heavy work.

There is lightweight non-Goretex gear available from some of the outdoor suppliers such as North Face, Patagonia, L.L.Bean and Columbia. That stuff uses a inner liner that's waterproof and will breathe a bit but the oils from your skin will destroy the liner in about 3 years, particularly around the neck/collar of the jacket. Those jackets run about a 1/3 the cost of Gore-Tex but they are still expensive. I also wouldn't take them into the briars or a farming environment. This stuff is undoubtedly "Urban Yuppie" gear but it has its place.

I'm going to second the advice for TSC gear, their stuff tends to be a bit less expensive and practical.

Ya know, most walmart camping sections will have a jacket and pants frogg toggs for $25, I'd definitely lean that direction. Lightweight, breathable and cheap. If you want the best, go Arcteryx, but that will set you back about a grand for a hard shell.

I have the jacket and pants set of theses. Cabela's Men's Space Rain™ Full-Zip Jacket with 4MOST DRY-PLUS. They cost an Arm and a leg but will go over heavier gear and pack down into small bags so easy to put in hunting pack and light weight. I carry them elk hunting if it looks like rain or snow. They are tough too.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I checked out some cheap set at rural kink. The pants fit, but the jacket wouldnt even without any extra layers. I might end up with a cheap pants, and go with a poncho for the top so I can get it over a small backpack I carry when hunting. When I say hunting, I dont mean... alaska cliffs and such... I mean... setting in a patch of cedars on the farm.

Boolit Bub
    Buy once, cry once...

Helly Hansen Impertec

Best,
    John