WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bore lapping

Boolit Grand Master

There does seem to be a lot of mystery and opinions on lapping barrels. Some say all you are doing is wearing out the barrel. I don't buy that at least for cast boolits, and some reasons, like yours, to repair "damage". Better to try lapping than put up with a bad barrel or just toss it.

I am no expert by any means and wouldn't claim I took a bad, mediocre or even just slightly off barrel and made a bench rest shooter out of it. However, I do have a Marlin 1894 that leaded badly and was not very accurate. By using "fat" boolits a little over groove diameter accuracy improved and leading diminished but accuracy was still not great and leading was still a bit of an issue.

Then I read about tight spots under roll stamping in Marlin barrels so slugged it pushing a lubricated slug right through the bore and sure enough 3 or 4 tight spots!

Now this is a Marlin microgroove barrel so not a lot of rifling depth but the gun was not much good so I decided to try lapping it by hand. I thought about fire lapping but elected to have some control because of the obvious tight spots. I wasn't just removing tool marks or burrs so figured hand lapping would allow me to concentrate some at the tight spots. What did I have to lose?

I cast a lap, drilled through and put it on a rod trapped between two nuts. I made a muzzle guide then lapped working on the tight spots first. Once they weren't noticeably tight I stroked from breach to muzzle, first with short strokes near the breech then longer strokes then all the way to the muzzle.

Long story short, it worked and done by a total amateur. The gun is far more accurate now and leading is not an issue.

Would I take a high priced precision barrel and try lapping to make it better? No. In this case and yours why not?

I haven't tried fire lapping but would not hesitate if I had a barrel with tool marks in it or one that didn't shoot as well as it should with no obvious reason. Why shoot hundreds of rounds with mediocre accuracy to break a barrel in?

Longbow

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I fire lapped a Douglas barrel with LBT lapping compound. Low velocity loads for a half dozen shots, clean, test fire again. I had to fire around 18 rounds to get the accuracy where it should be.
    When I was cleaning the barrel between trials, I would hear the barrel squeaking as it went down the bore, and then it would stop when I got to the rough part. I could actually hear the progress of the lapping, and when it squeaked all the way, I was done.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12