Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alooking for a double rifle, cartridge, and something still produced

Boolit Master

alooking for a double rifle, cartridge, and something still produced

If you've got something email me. I'm not set on a specific caliber, but do want something I can start out buying commercially.

Boolit Master
    What price range?

Boolit Master

I would imagine something shootable and huntable is going to fall in a 1200-6000$ range. I know they can go for 9x that, or cheapy biakals for half that, etc.

Boolit Master

PR0970 PEDERSOLI KODIAK DOUBLE RIFLE, .50 X .50 CALIBER $1,525.00
    Muzzle loader OK? Dixie Gun Works has some.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    I'd look on Gunbroker at some of the older drillings, modern calibers are common and usually under 6000. An interesting shopping experience for sure. The lgs I walk into here has a nice plain .470 NE for 35,000. Fairly new.

Boolit Master

I do gunbroker and have been looking at a couple. Most O the drilling I see are shotxshotxrifle and I'm looking for riflexrifle, but if I did find a shotxshotxcenterfirexrimfire I'd bite.

I have a cheapy 45-70 double, as well as a drilling in 16ga x 16ga short euro chambers x 8x57JR.

I've looked at some over/under, and dont like the ones with the semi unsupported lower barrels .

And yeah.. Some of the custom guns I've looked at were 7k$ to 49k$,

For the right gun I could do upper 4 digits, but don't want to go 5 digits, I'm too old to go the another divorce

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    PR0970 PEDERSOLI KODIAK DOUBLE RIFLE, .50 X .50 CALIBER $1,525.00
    Muzzle loader OK? Dixie Gun Works has some.
    Thanks, but for sure looking for a smokeless /cartridge gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    How about a Valmet 412 in 9.3 x 74r

Boolit Master

Looking at a couple on GB. So they are in the running.

Boolit Buddy
    i have had the double gun itch my self for a fair number of years as far as new production SxS that falls into your price range the only one the comes to mind is sabatti the had kind of a sketchy start with the cabela branded ones but they seem to have worked out the kinks, if you can go up into the 8-10 range you open yourself up to the non elaborate merkel and heym rifles which are both fantastic doubles with proper fixed regulation and then there a few other makers that i occasionally see with rifles popping up for sale in the 8-10 price range like Searcy and Krieghoff though the dont seem to be market staples

if you cheek gun broker regularly thins pop up once in a while that are pretty good deals i typically search using the caliber i want whigh for me in a double gun has always been one of the big nitros i have seen a few 450 nitros go in the 3-5 range though financial timing has never allowed me to take advantage and there are often European doubles of varrious makes in smaller calibers which often do not command the express rifle money one option i have always found intriguing is a properly regulated SxS shotgun for slugs like this one https://www.connecticutshotgun.com/p...ot-slug-gun-2/ base model cost 5k though honestly at that money spending a bit more on a proper rifle seems like a better idea but as far a cartridge availability it would be hard to beat 20 gauge slugs

as far as true double in an available caliber for reasonable money try looking for 9.3x72r chambered guns while the round lack the power of the 9.3x74 its plenty good for most any non dangerous game a double gun distances and the low power factors make the rifles less desirable in the macho man game and the ammo is available from several sources
    Last edited by mongoosesnipe; 11-10-2017 at 02:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    Have a look at Chapuis doubles. I have one in 9.3 x 74 and it is delightful and they are very reasonably priced. You will find them for sale on just about any of the internet sites.

http://chapuis-armes.com/lang-en/
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

I'll look into that, thanks.

I certainly wouldn't let commercially available ammo be a limiting factor.
    Do you reload now?
    If so, a 450 black powder express rifle is what I would be looking at. They are very commonly found under $10K and are so easy to load for with nitro for black loads. Buy 40pcs of Hornady brass and they will last a lifetime.
    Most 450s will shoot any 45/70 bullet too so there is a virtually unlimited supply of those.

Holding a nice late 19thC express rifle next to any newer Merkel, Kreighoff, Heym etc. will make you wonder why anybody buys new guns!

These are the kind of guns I'm talking about:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100923789

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100920197

Boolit Master

I reload and cast. I usually like being able to buy ammo to start my sight in, then use the empties for reloading. Easier than starting from scratch.

Boolit Man
    Check auction houses.

Boolit Master

How about 378 weatherby mag.? I have dies, brass and loaded ammo(100+rounds) no gun and don't want one.
    You interested?
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe Pedersoli also makes a pretty nice side by side double in 45-70. I'm always curious how well some are regulated. I do look at Holland and Hollands site and gun rooms for grins and giggles occasionally. Cant afford one but like to drool sometimes.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I believe Pedersoli also makes a pretty nice side by side double in 45-70. I'm always curious how well some are regulated. I do look at Holland and Hollands site and gun rooms for grins and giggles occasionally. Cant afford one but like to drool sometimes.
    They do. The older ones are much more traditional in terms of sights and such. I have one from 1979 that came in a leather luggage style take-down case and a much newer one. Both shoot great.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Master

Are the pedersoli safe for modern 45-70? Or trapdoor loads only? Are their barrels fixed regulation, or adjustable like a biakal double, which I'm not fond of.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Are the pedersoli safe for modern 45-70? Or trapdoor loads only? Are their barrels fixed regulation, or adjustable like a biakal double, which I'm not fond of.
    They are fixed. They will take pressures to 40,000. Maybe more but that’s kind of where I stop with doubles and several others. If you hand load they will not take the Ruger or Siamese Mauser loads. At least I wouldn’t try it. I have shot the off the shelf Marlin lever gun loads in it.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast