RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: 6,5x55 Swedish

6,5x55 Swedish

Hello to all.
    Is this mould ok to load the 6,5x55 Swedish? Ot is is many fat?
    Thanks in advance.
    Ciao
    Nino
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20171115_061650.jpg  

Boolit Master
    The 6.5 is a nominal .264" bullet, and probably should be cast at . 266" - .267", so, the mould you have there is going to drop boolits .008 - .010" too large in diameter. That size difference is going to be too much to effectively size down.

Any chance finding a mould for the 6.5 Carcano? Its nominal .2675" caliber would be perfect, provided they don't drop fat. Also, the Swedes have long throats and a tight twist, so a 150 -160 grs boolit will suit it better.

Hello RPRNY and thanks for the reply. Your words are what I was thinking. I have also a mould for the 6,5 Carcano hut I need a boolit a little more "spitzer"...
    Thanks again
    Ciao
    Nino

Boolit Master

Bullet on right is Lyman 266473 150gr drops from mold at .266".
    Bullet in center is Ideal 266469 140 gr drops from mold at .268" though modern Lyman molds of this number drop .266". I got lucky and found the Ideal mold on ebay.

266473 has been the most accurate 6.5x55 bullet so far in my m/38 and m/96. Five rds into one hole at 50 yds 1500 fps.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Bullet on right is Lyman 266473 150gr drops from mold at .266".
    Bullet in center is Ideal 266469 140 gr drops from mold at .268" though modern Lyman molds of this number drop .266". I got lucky and found the Ideal mold on ebay.

266473 has been the most accurate 6.5x55 bullet so far in my m/38 and m/96. Five rds into one hole at 50 yds 1500 fps.

Going to be dusting off my M96 this weekend as indicated in the thread on the scope mount. I was not looking for a mold for the Swede but here I am. I searched for the 266473 but I guess it is a discontinued mold. There is a 266673 that appears to be a replacement. Would this be a good guess or am I on the wrong track?

Any information such as alloy and load information would be appreciated.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    Going to be dusting off my M96 this weekend as indicated in the thread on the scope mount. I was not looking for a mold for the Swede but here I am. I searched for the 266473 but I guess it is a discontinued mold. There is a 266673 that appears to be a replacement. Would this be a good guess or am I on the wrong track?

Any information such as alloy and load information would be appreciated.
    Brain dysfunction! 266673 is correct.

I use wheel weights with a dash of linotype.

Dutch

Vendor Sponsor

Banned

The most accurate bullet I've tried is the 6.5 Kurtz from BaBore. The 170 Cruise Missile is too long. It'll shoot, but isn't a tack driver. It has a some stabilization problems at the closer ranges, but seems to settle out at longer distances. I don't know where you would get a 6.5 Kurtz unless Mihec cut on or someone else.

Negative ghost rider, that's a .277 mould and you will need to size to .266-.269 for a sverge. I recommend pound slugging that lonnnggg throat and call Swede Nelson at NOE, I just started using the 270-149 RN GC and it really works well. Good luck with that spaghetti slinger!

Super Moderator

................I would really advise you to slug your bore first. Lyman, RCBS, or Saeco might meet your needs but if a 'fatter' size is needed you're most likely going to have to go to NOE or Accurate. Quite a lot of work was done with the 6.5x55 Swede here back when the Swede surplus Mausers were plentiful on the market.

Starting from the left is a NLA Lyman 122gr HP, next a 140gr designed by Jumptrap and was a group buy from Lee as a 2 cavity. Next is a Lyman design (I forget the number now, but NLA) and finally the Oldfeller designed 160gr Cruise missle. This was originally another Lee Group buy 2 cavity mould. I believe it was Mid South Shooter's Supply which used to list them, and still might. An issue was that Lee's reproductions of the design had a bad habit of 'Drifting' from run to run

Shown here on the left is the 6.5 Kurtz, with was a design based on the 122gr Lyman (above). It was done as a group buy from Lee and done in their 6 cavity blocks. The loaded round to the right has the 160gr Lee GB slug. The 6.5 Kurtz done at 132grs turned out to be a nice accurate slug, and seemed eager to please for most folks in their Swedes.

The above was the design that the group decided on for productions. The .270" OD notation (as are all the others) are for the mould cavity dimensions. I get, as do most others I believe get .267"-.268" depending upon their alloy, and alloy temp at casting. Noe made a run also, but I do not know if they have any in stock at the moment. As I'm at my Dad's place in AZ and on his computer I'm not going to try and go to NOE's website. On his computer every time you open a new page you have to wade through umpteen zillion popup adds

The beauty of a 6 cavity mould, with correct planetary alignment.

...............Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 11-24-2017 at 03:02 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

Thanks for posting that 6.5 Kurtz bullets Buckshot. I looked for it but couldn't find it. From what I've heard it may be submitted to Mihec molds and he may cut blocks for them.

A deplorable that votes!