WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on the right boolit for a .308

for an easy start, why not simply use the same bullet you use for the 30/30. Velocities you load won't differ much either. Heat treat if necessary.

One comment on the Ranch Dog designs... You're not likely to forget the sound of the first impact you hear. That huge meplat simply b-slaps whatever it hits. It's my go-to design when I'm serious about a kill.
    I use any of my 160-180 grain slugs in the Savage .308 or '93 mausers and they shoot 'em all fine.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master
    My journey with 308's and CB's has been interesting. A couple years back I saw such a good buy on a Rem. 308 I couldn't pass it up just to shoot CB's in it. I was so happy with it, I picked up a Mossberg Patrol 308 with the short threaded barrel a few months ago. Both have 1/10 barrels but the Mossy barrel is 6" shorter and threaded. The Remmy loves cast and has shot well anything from 150's to 200's using several powders with the best being 2400. The Mossy, on the other hand, is fussy in the extreme with both powders and boolits. Every barrel has a personality which is to be discovered.

Boolit Bub
    I have had good experience with a noe 311 150 gr. sp powder coated. 2 inch groups at 100 yards. got my deer at 275 yards this year. through lungs went about 10 yards and dropped

Attachment 210334
    168gr & 182gr (RD style), both work fine from my AR10. Bottom was supposed to be for 30/30 but works in BO & 308W also.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by pls1911 View Post
    for an easy start, why not simply use the same bullet you use for the 30/30. Velocities you load won't differ much either. Heat treat if necessary.
    Just want to know if there's any designs out there specifically for squeezing the most amount of lead into a .308 while keeping the top of the check flush with the neck. Lord knows this board has a custom mould for every application.

Funny thing, my 311041 is not liked by this rifle, nor does my savage 99 in .308 care for it. I'm scratching my head because it's shot extremely well in my 06s and everyone else's rifles that have tried it. I'm going to rethink the powder selection, hardness and sizing. Before any of that happens, I think I'll anneal some checks on the next scout campout. I have all year to putz around before I use it on deer again.

OH BTW folks, Leupold discontinued the wide duplex on the 3-9 compact with CDS. The merchant sent me a windage reticle on the scope instead, without notifying me. I sent it back and had them ship a VX3i 1.75 x 6 instead.
    I guess the VX3i in 2.5-8 is pretty popular and I thought about it. Same price. I shoot way more deer at spitting distance than 2 football fields so......

One of my hunting buddies is a vortex rep. I asked him to see a vortex razor 1.5 -8 x 32.
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 01-05-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12