Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: RCBS new lube sized heater. Anyone try it?

Boolit Master

RCBS new lube sized heater. Anyone try it?

This might be moved to equipment but in my minds eye a heater goes to lubing.

I was goggle searching and came across a new luber heater with a rheostat knob. Sells for around $65 online.

Anyone try it or see it work?

I have two Lyman lube heaters and love them.

Boolit Buddy

No experience with the RCBS device mentioned but I made my own using a standard dimmer switch, single outlet and plastic double outlet box. Just find an old appliance that doesn't work and use that cord to connect the rheostat knob to the power, jump that to the outlet side and plug in your heater to that. Then you can adjust to whatever temp you want. Once you find a setting your specific lube likes you can just make a sharpie mark on the dial and viola - every time you get the perfect temp!

so this is a heater you put under your lubrisizer? or is it a new heated lubrisizer?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Buddy

Rebel - if you are asking about my post - it works for either.

Boolit Master

Still kicking myself for tossing the busted clothes iron in my last move. I was going to swipe parts for a home built. I got a small chunk of aluminum plate from a local boat builder. They had tons of cut off. Wish I grabbed more of it before I moved. They were nice and said help yourself just don't go into the scrap business with it. Deal!

Heck I had the star on a chunk with the bad iron setting on it. The cord was bad so I had to mess with it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    so this is a heater you put under your lubrisizer? or is it a new heated lubrisizer?
    It's a plate type heater for under the lubamatic2. Or any other luber.

Boolit Buddy

This goes under the unheated luber-sizers, like the Lyman 450.

I just looked up the RCBS heater - says "coming soon" https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/20...eater-120-volt
    For $65 with rheostat included it beats the Lyman universal at $55 without rheostat.

Guess it just depends on what 'coming soon' really means.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz64 View Post
    No experience with the RCBS device mentioned but I made my own using a standard dimmer switch, single outlet and plastic double outlet box. Just find an old appliance that doesn't work and use that cord to connect the rheostat knob to the power, jump that to the outlet side and plug in your heater to that. Then you can adjust to whatever temp you want. Once you find a setting your specific lube likes you can just make a sharpie mark on the dial and viola - every time you get the perfect temp!
    I made 3 heaters doing it about the same way as you did. I cannablized the control guts and heat wire from yard sale crock pots.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    My LAM 1 came with a Midway Heater and is much bigger than the new RCBS model. The midway has a recessed screw to adjust the heat. Works fine, looks like the new RCBS model will be much more convenient.
    Maybe it will be released next year like the melting pots!

Boolit Master
    I am still using my CH heater I bought a long time ago. Some things never die.
    Leadmelter
    MI

I rest the wifes iron on back of RCBS mounting plate. Temp of Lube-a-matic reaches 115 degrees. This is enough heat to soften the hardest lubes such as Canuba Red 190.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9479.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	208092

Good.
    Given the lack of supply of recharge and foundry equipment that we suffer in Spain and the high prices that we have to pay, I have chosen to manufacture my own heater for the fat of my RCBS LAMII.
    It is very simple to manufacture and quite cheap, the most difficult thing is to find the aluminum plate, the rest can be bought on ebay and does not cost more than 5 euros ($).
    Everything is to find the plate of the necessary measure (11cm long, 8cm wide and 1.5cm thick) and drill it according to the needs of your design (I show you my own in the photograph), the second step is to install the ceramic heating cartridge 40 w used in 3D printers and the third step is to wire and adjust the thermostat (it brings instructions) and the last one is to look for a 12 v DC power source (a mobile phone charger for example) for the invention to work.
    Everything quite easy to do.
    Greetings.
    50-110 ° C W1209 DIGITAL Control Thermostat
    Anet A8 A6 A2 3D Printer 12 V heater cartridge 40 W CeramicClick image for larger version. 

Name:	TERMOSTATO 1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	208520Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RECAL 4.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	208521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RECALIBRADORA 3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	208522

Banned
    I use a 400 watt 4" cartridge heater controlled by a PID to control the heat for my Magma bullet sizer. A DIY setup for less than a commercially available unit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
    This might be moved to equipment but in my minds eye a heater goes to lubing.

I was goggle searching and came across a new luber heater with a rheostat knob. Sells for around $65 online.

Anyone try it or see it work?
    I first saw the RCBS Lube-A-Matic (LAM) Heater in their 2017 catalog. I’ve not seen it available in any store or on line in all of 2017. I waited for months then finally decided to repair my flakey Lyman universal heater (a cold solder joints at the tiny heater core leads was the fault).
    I can’t believe it takes more than a year to bring a simple product like this to the market.

Boolit Master
    the heaters are probably in the same Sea Cans as the new lead furnaces on the same boat loading in China at some unknown port on some unknown date.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have a current production Lyman heater and a 20+ year old Midway. The Lyman runs hotter than I like and the Midway is adjustable; I'd buy another Midway in a.....wait for it.....hot minute!!!

Boolit Master

Badum bump!

Banned

ive got the old midway unit that didn't have a dial. It looked the same but it had a screw driver adjustable rheostat. Its worked great for probably 15 years now. Its a bit sensitive though. Lube can go from to hot to two cold in the kick on kick off range. I usually just turn it on till the lube gets warm enough and start sizing and when it starts getting a bit cool turn it on for another minute or so. It would probably work better if I was using a harder lube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz64 View Post
    This goes under the unheated luber-sizers, like the Lyman 450.

I just looked up the RCBS heater - says "coming soon" https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/20...eater-120-volt
    For $65 with rheostat included it beats the Lyman universal at $55 without rheostat.

Guess it just depends on what 'coming soon' really means.