Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting the look

Super Moderator Emeritus
    You want strange looks roll your reloading set up out and start loading and developing loads. by the time you are on the 3rd rifle you are alone at end of bench. folks at public ranges think you are crazy.

Banned

My family and I shoot at one of three public ranges. We also pick up any reloadable brass we see, even as we shoot. Unless others are on the range at the same time, we're always polite. I ask before I pick any up if someone else is there. Only had someone say no I keep my brass, a few times. With everyone else it usually starts a conversation about reloading. What I police that I don't reload gets traded or sold on one of the forums or eventually taken to the metal recycler for money to use in my addiction. On one of those ranges there is another guy who doesn't shoot or reload but he picks up brass for the sole purpose of selling it. I usually find a lot of 9mm, 45 Auto, 380 Auto and 223/5.56. But certain times of the year I can find good size bags of rifle brass, mostly common like 308 and 30-06 etc. But sometimes I hit a good find like 6.5 Creedmoor or 303 Brit. And yes, I am not averse to climbing into the dumpster if I see a good amount or uncommon brass. If there is anyone looking at me like I'm some bum, I just look them in the eye and ask, "How are you doing"? and go back to policing brass. If you really want to make them turn their heads away, just bang your hand on your head and very loudly say: "Alright, everybody, shut up"!

Boolit Master
    One way that I used to shut those types down was to say"Take a picture.It will last longer".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

As Ron White says.....” you can’t fix stupid “.

Boolit Grand Master

That's interesting in a way. We had an old guy climb in the dumpster after some brass, took for of us to get him back out, lol. All for a some 308 cases that may have been berdan primed

The best cure for "The Look"is the "Hairy Eye"- except when it's your wife.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I pick up all the brass I see. I found about 100 cases of once fired .30 carbine recently. Makes me want to buy one now.

The WMA range in Ocmulgee GA used to be a good spot for brass scrounging. I would show up early, clean the buckets out and start shooting then go home. After a while, it seems a local guy started showing up and getting all the brass. I believe he was within hearing distance of the range because once you started shooting he would show up with a "pickup stick" getting all the brass. It was annoying.

More often than not the brass I find will get loaded. I may trade some, but the majority of it is loaded by me and shot.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I think he wanted the brass and was upset you beat him to it. Only logical explanation ...
    Gary
    Yep thats it. He was a closet brass rat.

Boolit Man
    I am NOT a closet brass rat, I'm full blown, admitted brass rat. If someone leaves their brass on the ground and it's something I can use, I pick it up. If it's something I can't use, it goes in the trash. So..... a few years back I was at a major match up in northern Michigan on the back or practice range, shooting was supposed to cease at 5PMish. it was around 5:30, I had policed up all MY own brass, the I started walking the line. There was only one other guy at the back range at that time. I noticed he was doing the same thing walking the line picking up the mostly 45's that had been left behind. (someone had had a good time with a Thompson SMG). As I get to a kinda large pile of brass, I looked at this guy and recognized him. He was from the great state of Louisiana. He was a sponsored shooter (although back then he didn't have his own youtube channel). In his soft southern drawl, he asked if I was finding any good stuff. We chatted for a while (and continued to fill our range bags with free brass). Even though today he is all over the TV with his shooting exploits, I would be willing to bet a modest beer that he still picks up his own brass, and whatever happens to be laying around. With the cost of brass these days, I would not walk by a bunch of quarters laying in the grass just because they were a little dusty. Keep on shootin' and pickin up brass!

Boolit Grand Master

I've been a brass Rat all my life. I just didn't know it had a name.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

i'm shooting my target rifles on public lands since i'm able to walk , and over the decades i've seen nice spots naturally built by mother nature with natural back stops and very nice environement ruined by *******ters who brings all kind of crapp to shoot at ; mainly computers ,micro waves ,tv's ,and horendously leaving a mess ....

on the long run these nice spots were looking like junkyards,and i can understand why those places are then protected against us target shooters.

iresponsible people of all ages,but mainly young idiots who think that someone else will clean their mess like their mom sweeping their diapers. always the same story : responsible people getting stigmatized, in retaliation to a small number of idiots.

Boolit Master
    I got a funny look last time I was over at the public range shooting a muzzle loader. After about two hours of shooting black powder I began to pick up some of the brass around my shooting stall. A couple of the guys shooting center fire seemed to take offense even though they were not picking up any brass. Guess they were wondering why a front stuffer was picking up brass. I've shot there enough so the RO lets me do some brass ratting. Could probably fill a few 5 gallon buckets with 9mm and 223 on a weekend but I don't shoot either caliber and already have about a thousand cases of each sitting in my reloading room. I only pick up 30-30, 30-06, 7.62 x 54r and .380 now along with whatever I can convert to 7.7 Jap. It kind of takes some the fun out of hitting the range and getting free brass but I'm running out of room.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ramguy View Post
    I am NOT a closet brass rat, I'm full blown, admitted brass rat. If someone leaves their brass on the ground and it's something I can use, I pick it up. If it's something I can't use, it goes in the trash. So..... a few years back I was at a major match up in northern Michigan on the back or practice range, shooting was supposed to cease at 5PMish. it was around 5:30, I had policed up all MY own brass, the I started walking the line. There was only one other guy at the back range at that time. I noticed he was doing the same thing walking the line picking up the mostly 45's that had been left behind. (someone had had a good time with a Thompson SMG). As I get to a kinda large pile of brass, I looked at this guy and recognized him. He was from the great state of Louisiana. He was a sponsored shooter (although back then he didn't have his own youtube channel). In his soft southern drawl, he asked if I was finding any good stuff. We chatted for a while (and continued to fill our range bags with free brass). Even though today he is all over the TV with his shooting exploits, I would be willing to bet a modest beer that he still picks up his own brass, and whatever happens to be laying around. With the cost of brass these days, I would not walk by a bunch of quarters laying in the grass just because they were a little dusty. Keep on shootin' and pickin up brass!

Jerry has multiple videos on brass prep. He is a reloader on another level then I am due to shot amount.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    It reaches a new level when you discover SS pin wet polishing. Now you drag it home and deprime it and process it to shiny glory. Then hope you can find a home for all the odd calibers that you don't have a gun for yourself.
    Last edited by Blue2; 02-14-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

I get what I can when I can. I will buy a bucket as scrap and pull out what is useful, scrap the remainder, and repeat. Nice to see I'm not the only one who has a "stash" of calibers I don't actually reload. Never know when a friend will find themselves short of 9mm or 40 S&W or 45 ACP. Rifle brass I don't need I sell or trade with people that do need it. Hopefully saving them some money in the process as it helps fund my "bad habits". Plus most importantly when I come back from a gun show and wife says what did that ___________ cost? I can use the brass sales or swapping as cover. Well honey mostly just sold some brass for it, and a little cash from selling lead. God help me if she ever figures out what a muzzle loader really costs and how many pounds of brass it would take to buy it or an 8# jug of powder and couple of bricks of primers.

I am truly blessed with a wife that figure most of what I do won't make any sense to anyone that has any sense so she just ignores it if she doesn't have to trip over it.

A fellow at the bank that I know hunts so we will talk shooting and reloading. Recently he mentioned he was getting his fathers 45 and reloading stuff for it, had supplies except not much brass. Was able to go home run a 100+ through the wet tumbler and give him a bag to act as encouragement to get some loading done before warm weather. I scrounged that brass because I have a friend or two that could use it if they ran short.

Anyone were to give me the stink eye then I would just remember that fellows happy face and figure I'm ahead on karma and points.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Bring a broom, dust pan and bucket....wear shirt that says "janitor" pretend you don't like sweeping up all the stuff off the floor, complain about how poorly the janitor gets paid....they wont make eye contact with you ...much less give you " The Look " .

Back in the 60's-70's I would go to local range early Sunday mornings with broom and bucket to sweep up and police the trash barrels....I guess people just assumed it was my job and paid me no attention. A few would dump their empties into my bucket... I never got any looks.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I pick up everything that I am allowed to that someone else doesn't want. If it isn't my caliber, it goes into storage for the day that I decide to trade it for some caliber that I do use. It gives me the heebie jeebies when I see any brass in a garbage can!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Buddy
    Being an avid reloader and collector of range brass, even just your own, requires a large measure of humility. While I am grubbing around in the dirt, mud puddles, snow and crawling under snd around things to ferret out the cases I just keep thinking how expensive brass is and how shiny it will be after a stainless steel pin tumble.

My kids give me a resigned version of The Look but with a chuckle. Once my son in law started reloader he quickly became a devoted brass grubber.

Boolit Grand Master

I got the look today. There was the tall tail evidence of chocolate in the corner of my grin, and I had forgotten to give hers to her. Good thing I had bought it ahead of time when I bought mine.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Mold
    fstreed

While we were getting set up a couple of guys showed up to sight in for the coming deer season. They started setting up next to us. One of them, a real big guy about a hundred pounds heavier than either myself or my friend, came over to check us out. He spotted those big long nosed boolits and wanted to know where I got them. I explained that I cast them myself. He called his buddy over to look at them and they started in with their comedian routine. "They sell modern bullets, ya know?" "They gave up on that stuff a hundred years ago when they invented jacketed bullet." "Those targets are a hundred yards, ya know, do you think those home made musket balls will shoot that far? Haw Haw Haw"
    Hahaha... that's pretty funny stuff. Especially your retort regarding their own targets... "Those look like 200 yard targets!". Well played, sirs.

I began handloading for .41 Magnum. These days I am on a delightful .44 Special buzz... I have bags and bags of both and bags of also-once-fired .357, because revolver brass is easy to save. After reading this thread, though, I'm probably going to start saving as much of my new Winchester and Federal .45ACP brass as is possible... I might have to start using painter's canvas tarps as ground cover. Pick up the far corner, then walk it back to where you were standing. I *have* saved nearly every single .308 brass case I've shot in five years. There are boxes and boxes of that, too.
    "If ever a cartridge and revolver were meant to be together, it's the .41 and the 4.62-inch Blackhawk. It just don't git no better than that." - 1911Tuner, February 2013

"And maybe a little Ballistol and a dab of possum fat..." - Flinchrock, January 2013

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast