Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting the look

Boolit Buddy

Getting the look

I go to a public range where I have never seen any supervision. That's no problem beyond people not picking after themselves and every once in a while leaving a mess that they wouldn't do on their own house, but I digress...

In any event, the other day while shooting my 1895 Marlin and .44 SBH I take some time to pick up brass people left behind. Usually I just focus on the big brass I can trade for the brass I actually reload, on this particular day somebody left behind shinny 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag on a clearly empty stall. As I'm doing that I notice this guy giving me a look of disgust.

I'm thinking that picking anything off the ground should be reason to be happy and not a judgmental prick. Heck if a hobo came to the range to pick up brass I would be happy for him, as another shooter I just kept wondering what was this dude's problem.

Anybody ever got a person like this not minding their own business?

In Remembrance

Yes indeed! On my own private range by people that I had thought were friends. At work 2 days later I politely told them I had cleaned up after them and that they should seek another place to shoot and mess up.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Don1357 View Post
    I go to a public range where I have never seen any supervision. That's no problem beyond people not picking after themselves and every once in a while leaving a mess that they wouldn't do on their own house, but I digress...

In any event, the other day while shooting my 1895 Marlin and .44 SBH I take some time to pick up brass people left behind. Usually I just focus on the big brass I can trade for the brass I actually reload, on this particular day somebody left behind shinny 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag on a clearly empty stall. As I'm doing that I notice this guy giving me a look of disgust.

I'm thinking that picking anything off the ground should be reason to be happy and not a judgmental prick. Heck if a hobo came to the range to pick up brass I would be happy for him, as another shooter I just kept wondering what was this dude's problem.

Anybody ever got a person like this not minding their own business?
    I have, but usually I just keep doing what I was and ignore the idiot..
    Sometimes I look back at them the same way and they turn around..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    There are still people who consider reloaded ammo inferior and the reloading process just a shoddy and cheapjack way of saving a dollar or two. I have met people who would say "I'd never shoot reloads in my gun."

Heck - I know some people whose reloaded ammo IS inferior and I wouldn't shoot their reloads if you paid me.

It takes all kinds - the amount of ignorance out there regarding shooting and reloading is staggering. Perhaps your "range neighbor" couldn't hide his disgust, figuring that picking up empty brass is like gathering cigar butts for later use. I wouldn't let it worry me much.

Uncle R.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle R. View Post
    There are still people who consider reloaded ammo inferior and the reloading process just a shoddy and cheapjack way of saving a dollar or two. I have met people who would say "I'd never shoot reloads in my gun."

Heck - I know some people whose reloaded ammo IS inferior and I wouldn't shoot their reloads if you paid me.

It takes all kinds - the amount of ignorance out there regarding shooting and reloading is staggering. Perhaps your "range neighbor" couldn't hide his disgust, figuring that picking up empty brass is like gathering cigar butts for later use. I wouldn't let it worry me much.

Uncle R.
    I have faced all kind of negative comments about reloads.. usually from people that have no clue about it..
    I just smile.. I don't care whatever they say, I know I enjoy reloading and I may not be saving a lot of money but at least I know the quality of my reloads it's much better than some brand names..
    The kicker is that some of those people thinking that the reloads is low quality ammo, they are shooting some kind off crappy Russian ammo or the cheapest ammo they can afford to buy..
    I have a bucket full of ammo with failed primers I picked up from the floor at the range.. most of them aguila, Russian and blazer...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    About the hardest thing to change in the world; is what other people think.
    Gave up on that a long time ago, am happier now.

Boolit Grand Master

I think he wanted the brass and was upset you beat him to it. Only logical explanation ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I find if I give any consideration to what other people are thinking of me when I'm minding my own affairs, going about my own business and not interfering or disturbing them I'm usually wasteing my mental skill on something of little consequence. Face it there's always going to be turds in the field of life. Move on load up and have a good time.

Boolit Master
    Just wait until you are sweeping up 22rf for swaging after a rimfire match, especially the shooters who use Ely match ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been sneered at all my life for recycling. I notice they take note of my targets when I leave with their unwanted brass. I guess their tighty whities get in a knot when I explain that it was my cast from free WWs, that shot those targets for as little as .07 a round.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a member at two shooting ranges. Both are "unsupervised" and generally very clean. But in the last 5 or 6 years it is rare to find any brass to speak of other than a few 9mm and 380 brass. As far as rifle brass, might find 3 or 4 223 cases, and I generally see mostly rifle shooters there. Of course there's the 22 brass, but no good to me. There are brooms and long handled dust pans there that apparently get lots of use, and a plastic barrel for empty "brass". I always look in the brass barrel and it's rarely got any brass cases in it, almost totally steel cases and 22's. Maybe once or twice a year I might find a hand full of 30-06 or other common rifle brass.
    The membership must be very clean, and/or they all reload.
    Or maybe there's lots of shooters around here like me that just can't hardly handle leaving any brass behind, be it for my use (after careful cleaning and inspection) or saved for a future trip to the scrap yard.

Boolit Buddy
    I can truthfully and honestly say that I don't give a **** what ANYONE thinks of me. I shoot at a public range and if people leave it, and I can use it, I pick it up. I've pick brass out of the trash bin as well. We have our share of "range snobs" who show up with the most expensive rifles, scopes, etc. Usually they are outshot by those of us who reload. Why? We get more practice because we can shoot for less

Boolit Mold
    I just turn a tell them I am picking up brass dime's

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I look like a bum at my local range. I walk around pick up all the brass I can use, I even dig through the trash cans. I have permission of course and only pick up what I can use. There are lots of people that do it and saves the RSO from having to clean it up. Had a few people stair, but I tell them the wife has me on a tight budget and I am collecting my shooting and lunch money. Most times it starts a conversation about reloading. Though once got into an argument with a guy. He claimed I touched his brass. Told him I only pick up brass from empty stalls. He insisted he was missing one and I was the culprit. I dumped all the brass out and told him have at it. He didn't find his magical Lapua brass and he didn't apologize for accusing me, then proceeded to lecture me as if I did something wrong.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

My Az G&F operated range only allows one to pick up their own brass. I bring a rake and never got a verbal reprimand for wandering into adjacent lanes. I've accumulated enough pistol brass to last me my lifetime. If I see it I'll scrounge 45 Colt, 44 Mag brass and about a year ago I was treated with about 80 pieces of 45AR. Rifle brass I can't resist. Best find were 19 pieces of 416 Dakota brass I made a tidy profit with. Figured I earned it, the shooter punished me with his muzzle brake.

Boolit Buddy
    It doesn't bother me as far as feeling self conscious about it, but it bothers me in the sense that I'm getting old enough to have no patience with stupid people.

As stated I usually only go for the big brass. I need to start getting more aggressive and pick the smaller stuff.

Boolit Master

Duplicate post
    Last edited by azrednek; 11-15-2017 at 04:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    I would say I'm too old to care what others think of me but, I don't think I ever cared what anyone else thought of me, what I was doing or my motivations.

Range I go to is a privately owned and outdoor range and charges $15.00 per person, per session. I'm always very careful not to step on anyone's toes at the range. Range courtesy rates high on my list. If anyone is within 10 feet or so, when I stop to pick up my brass, I inform them and ask what brand brass they are shooting so that I don't put theirs in my bag. I've never had someone give me a condescending look or word and oft times they'll say, "don't worry about it, take mine too". On several occasions I've had folks picking up their own brass just to hand it over to me. I've encountered little, if any ill will when retrieving my brass and mostly kindness, and interest and curiosity with regard to reloading.

My main gripe at the range is, that one jack@$$ that continues to fiddle with his firearm AT HIS SHOOTING BENCH when a cease fire has been called. I won't go to the range on weekends.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    My main gripe at the range is, that one jack@$$ that continues to fiddle with his firearm AT HIS SHOOTING BENCH when a cease fire has been called. I won't go to the range on weekends.
    Yeah, that bothers me a lot but as I said this is a completely unsupervised range, you see all sorts of shenanigans. Once I came in to find some lowlife had shot glass bottles on the pistol range and left them there as a testament to his upbringing. Freedom and responsibility ought to walk hand in hand.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don1357 View Post
    Yeah, that bothers me a lot but as I said this is a completely unsupervised range, you see all sorts of shenanigans. Once I came in to find some lowlife had shot glass bottles on the pistol range and left them there as a testament to his upbringing. Freedom and responsibility ought to walk hand in hand.
    My pet peeve are the creeps and I know I'll sound like a bigot saying so. In desert shooting spots around Phoenix. People bring junk large appliances, Tv's etc and leave them after shooting them full of holes. Didn't see it but I was advised by a park ranger. A group of gang members were caught using a stolen stripped car for a target and leave it. Ranger claimed there were to many with auto rifles and all he could do was take video from a safe distance, plate numbers and report it.

Not trying to sound to bigoted. I guess it's the thing to do in Mexico to dump junk in the desert. Numerous times I've watched them, probably many illegals that shouldn't possess a gun, nearly always AK's. Shoot up and leave washers, dryers and other large junk. I've seen some good shooting spots with mountain back stops posted no shooting because of the junk.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast