WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger Super Redhawk 10mm

Boolit Grand Master

Some major thread drift guys. Let's please keep her on the rails.

Boolit Master
    Just to keep this 10MM verses 357 Mag on level ground. All revolver shooter love to compare, let's say a 5 inch Semi Auto to a 5 inch revolver. No, no, a Semi Auto INCLUDES the chamber in the barrel. The revolver DOES NOT. So a revolver with a five inch barrel actually with chamber is longer than the five inch Semi Auto.
    If one will look at Underwood 10MM ammo actual chrono test with their 200 gr load from a 4.6 inch barrel Glock M20 then compare that with a 357 with a barrel and cylinder length combined to make a 4.6 inch barrel length to be on a level playing field. With a barrel and cylinder length combined to make 4.6 inches in a 357, it will strain the guts out of a 357 to make it if it even does.
    Revolver shooters seem to forget this.
    An L frame Smith with 3 inch barrel is around 4.7 inches with the cylinder if I am not too far off.

I hope mentioning this is still on the rail. If not delete it as it won't be paid any attention too more than likely.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 01-15-2018 at 07:05 AM.

Boolit Master

I would just buy a 41 magnum and be done with it, if I wanted a magnum in .41 caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I shoot so that I can handload.

There is another aspect that is specific to the 10mm Ruger SRH too and that is what the company is doing to the cartridge itself.

Let say you're a 10mm fan and have a couple 10mm pistols; you take one of these 10mm Ruger SRH's home and you start loading heavies to see how fast you can go. Loading up to the point you have sticky extraction from the revolver.

What do you think might happen if you shoot a couple boxes of "Ruger only 10mm" in your pistol? Ruger "45 Colted" the 10mm! It might be even more stressful if you load light for caliber top end SRH loads and shoot them in a pistol.

I'm not trying to ruin mnewcomb59's day, I have respect for the 357, but the commercial 10mm loadings that are for sale are considered safe in autoloading pistols. I think this big revolver will eat up a steady diet of the hottest commercial 10mm you can find.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Some major thread drift guys. Let's please keep her on the rails.
    I think that the object of discussion here - a .40 caliber rimless round, requiring moon clip adapters, in a swing-out cylinder, .454 Casull-capable revolver - is a concept so far "off the rails" in the minds of many, that the discussion is bound to go many places.

Now, they COULD put a rim on the 10mm, cut the cylinder of the gun to ALSO take the Auto 10mm and .40 S&W with moon clips, and do it on the standard Redhawk or GP-100 chassis, and then they might have something. This 10mm SRH seems like trying to squeeze a 1.5 liter Honda motor into the body of a '68 Dodge Charger. . .with the rimless case equating to Metric mounting bolts trying to go into Inch pattern holes.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I think that the object of discussion here - a .40 caliber rimless round, requiring moon clip adapters, in a swing-out cylinder, .454 Casull-capable revolver - is a concept so far "off the rails" in the minds of many, that the discussion is bound to go many places.

Now, they COULD put a rim on the 10mm, cut the cylinder of the gun to ALSO take the Auto 10mm and .40 S&W with moon clips, and do it on the standard Redhawk or GP-100 chassis, and then they might have something. This 10mm SRH seems like trying to squeeze a 1.5 liter Honda motor into the body of a '68 Dodge Charger. . .with the rimless case equating to Metric mounting bolts trying to go into Inch pattern holes.

Without a doubt, a 10mm SRH would have been the last new production gun from Ruger I'd of envisioned. I was excited to get one in 41 Mag.

Boolit Master
    Kinda like clambering the GP100 in 22lr.....
    Still glad they are doing some different revolver things, may be testing the waters. Varity is the spice of life, as they say.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123