Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Super Redhawk 10mm

Ruger Super Redhawk 10mm

I saw one of these at the local gun store today and was tempted but it is still there. What a way to see what you can squeeze out of the 10 MM cartridge it comes with 3 moon clips.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    rimless in a revolver just doesnt make sense to me.
    the whole moon clip thing doesnt make sense when there are other rimmed cartridges.
    Yes, I do have a 1917 that shoots .45acp. I shoot it a lot, it still dont make sense.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Why would you want such a powerful gun to shoot 10mm?
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Why would you want such a powerful gun to shoot 10mm?
    Because unlike the neutered rounds most sell nowdays, the 10mm is a powerful round! Look up some of Buffalo bores loads for a good reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Buddy

If I had the money, I'd buy one.
    What's the gunstore price?

Boolit Grand Master

For me it would be fun, but not practical. Plenty of higher HP cartridges out there in The SRH platform. I have a SRH and still find the thing ugly. Like beat with the ugly stick, fell out the tree and hit every branch down into a pile of ugly, ugly. But I still love it the same.

Vendor Sponsor

Why the SRH? Isn't the RH plenty adequate for the 10mm?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I don't know... I had a Smithy 625 JM 45 ACP (with moon clips) it was a lot of fun, it looked like a sports car compared to this flat bed dually. Ruger suggests $1159 but I don't think it was that high. I think someone should buy it so don't have to worry about it LOL.

I like the 10mm, I have a 40 S&W and a 38-40 Contender. I bet people that can operate chamber reamer can have some fun with this revolver too.
    Last edited by pmer; 11-14-2017 at 08:09 AM. Reason: moon clips

Boolit Buddy
    If I were to get one I think I would have it reamed to 10mm Magnum, to squeeze out the most power from it. I used to have one of the AMT Automags in 10mm mag and it was a great gun.

Boolit Master
    One thing I see is a rekindled interest in folks using a 10mm for hunting. There are a few companies making semi-autos in 10mm again,,, including Ruger. This big DA revolver is a good idea as a companion piece. Plus,, as noted,,, for those folks who like to play with "rocks & dynamite" loads,,, it'll fit their bill.

Boolit Master

g ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 08:07 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    Sounds fun. And when one looks down the sights the ugly can't be seen....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Why the SRH? Isn't the RH plenty adequate for the 10mm?
    The Redhawk is more than plenty, especially for a cartridge with the power level of a .357mag. At least Ruger didn't make it with short 2"-3" barrel like they have been doing lately.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    NMSB would be a handier platform and easy to do.

I'd do a 5" single-action with extra .40 S&W and .38-40 cylinders if it were me.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    NMSB would be a handier platform and easy to do.

I'd do a 5" single-action with extra .40 S&W and .38-40 cylinders if it were me.
    You wouldn’t need a .40 cylinder. When the .40 first came out the only gun on the market that could shoot it was the S&W 610 revolver. It shot .40’s just fine with the 10mm cylinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    You wouldn’t need a .40 cylinder. When the .40 first came out the only gun on the market that could shoot it was the S&W 610 revolver. It shot .40’s just fine with the 10mm cylinder.
    In a DA revolver with clips, sure, but in a single-action which doesn't use a clip a .40 S&W will drop farther into the chamber because there is no stop surface for it to headspace on.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Can't see the SRH.platform for a 10. 10mag possibly. 10 wildcat, probably. I like 10mm, but that is one of the last guns I would purchase, behind a whole list of single shots, derringers, and poly pistols.

Don't even like the idea of .44m in that platform due to the size and weight . Seems expensive for a toy, heavy for much of anything, and under powered/ under capacity for any other reason.

Would definitely be interested in a GP size, or an aluminum handled, mid size Blackhawk.

Boolit Master
    Why the 10mm? That would be a much better match in the gp100 if one really needed a 10mm in a revolver. I bet these will be a "collectors item" in a few years because they aren't going to sell very many.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

It seems like I don't see as many large frame revolvers in 357 and 41 and these 10's will probably be grouped in that category. And you might take a hit trying to sell one if you buy one. I can't buy one right now either because my "hobby money" needs to elsewhere.

I like the idea though. I had a N frame .357 and it was a accurate, easy shooting gun that would go cylinder after cylinder full of rounds. It would take longer to get hot. The front sight was more steady because of the weight and recoil was easy. It wasn't any less of a .357 because I didn't feel as much recoil compared to a 357 snubby. It built in some confidence that made it comfortable to shoot.

This 10mm compared to a .357 offers more power and would still be comfortable for day of shooting. And wouldn't have any trouble as a critter gitter for a lot hunting situations.

A 10mm in a GP100 likely would have been a 5 shot. However I think more people would buy it in that configuration. A GP100 10mm 5 Shot with a 4" barrel would be a nice shooter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast