Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic scales

Boolit Master
    I have had a Dillon D-terminator for at least 15 years, prob more like 20.

Has been reliable the whole time.
    I don't like checking the calib of a scale I weigh 5-50 grains on with a 25 gram check weight.

One gram is 15.4 grains, so my check weight is 385 grains.
    Your calib check should at least be close to the measurements you expect, if not bracketing the expected measurement.

I run a chem lab, have access to 0.0000g grade scales.

I made 5,10,15 and 20 grain check weights out of paperclips.

Other than that issue, love the Dillon.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    Call me anal if you like, but the only scale I trust is my Redding No.2 beam scale after it has been verified with check weights.

ukrifleman

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I think our President has been working along those lines...America needs to get back to where she doesn't need anyone else in the world for anything...Personally, I think it's a sin to deliberately waste resources building junk products...much less buy them from Communist Countries!

"OoooH Boooy! I better get another cup of Joe and settle down a bit...it's too early go go on a rant! . . . . . . If I wake the wife...well, I ain't gonna make that mistake again!
    Well, well. I just got an answer to my email question from PACT. They said that their scales are made in Dallas, Tx. right down the street from their office. If you have to pay a few $ more, it would be well worth it to get an American made product. At least you could understand the person on the phone. That's something a lot of customer service calls don't offer!

update: I just went to the PACT web page and their electronic reloading scale was listed for $129.95 and it has an IR port. It is a dead ringer for my RCBS scale that has been a treasure for at least 10 yrs.
    Last edited by murf205; 11-16-2017 at 06:47 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger1911 View Post
    I run a chem lab, have access to 0.0000g grade scales.

I made 5,10,15 and 20 grain check weights out of paperclips..
    How is that scale going to equate out to the average handloader? What is the base price on that commercial certified scale?

Long ago I worked packaging powders and we were using electronic scales that would read 0.1 gram which is nowhere near the sensitivity you are talking about and still those scales would barely last 1 year when used 8hrs. a day 5 days a week as a weigh check.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    update: I just went to the PACT web page and their electronic reloading scale was listed for $129.95 and it has an IR port. It is a dead ringer for my RCBS scale that has been a treasure for at least 10 yrs.
    I believe PACT used to make scales for RCBS. Now they are all made in China.

Maybe it's just me, but I see a cheapening of RCBS, as in presses made overseas. Sad to see. I sent them an email asking if they sold an E scale made in the US. We will see.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

The answer is no. All of their electronic items are made over seas. Not surprising seeing as how they are part of a large corporation.

Boolit Buddy
    My go to for weighing charges is a Scott Parker tuned Redding. It is amazing but time consuming. Especially if I'm just tuning a powder drop for shotgun or pistol on the progressive.

So I use a Jennings JSR-100 ( IIRC ). Fast and seems to be precise enough for what I need it to do. You can find them for $20.

I had a Lyman 1000 XP Electronic Powder Scale I used for years. Paid $200 for it. It worked OK but eventually the materials used on the buttons degraded to the point where the buttons failed e.g. stuck. No amount of cleaning changed that. The scale also quit working dependably. It always had problems drifting, all electronic scales drift to some degree, just the nature of the design of these scales that use load cells. Th Lyman scale drifting got worse with age to the point where it was useless and I threw it out and went back to using my RCBS beam scale. I have a Frankford Arsenal cheapo pocket digital scale I bought when they first came out, and I use that scale today to validate the setup of my beam scale (old eyes). The cheap digital works well enough for that, and weighing boolits. I'd love to have a DEPENDABLE electronic scale that doesn't drift once it's calibrated. IMHO that's a unicorn. - Skook

Boolit Master
    I have used several electronic scale's and all drifted, so now I use a RCBS 505 with check weights for powder charges and use the electronic scale's for bullets and brass.

To help my old eyes I put a 2"x 3" 5 power magnifier in front of the 505 pointer so it is easier to see.

Boolit Master
    I wll take a good powder measure and beam scale to check the drops over any digital every day and twice on Sunday.

Boolit Grand Master

Beam scales are not immune to reading incorrectly. It's true that gravity doesn't lie. But if the poise is bent or if the scale isn't level it won't read correctly. Both types have to be confirmed w/ check weights. Otherwise you have no clue if they're reading correctly.

Boolit Grand Master

Dust in the knife bearings can also affect a balance beam.

Boolit Buddy
    Over the years, for one reason or another, I have bought several B.B. scales. Which include RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Ohaus and Texan. My old cast iron base Texan is my goto BB scale. I can alway rely on it to be accurate. Also have bought a few electronic scales, usually off brand like Franford that proved to not work from the getgo. Despite all of this, I still crave to own a decent electronic scale. Today I bought a RCBS Rangemaster 750 in nice shape off the internet for $45 shipped. It was missing all of the add on parts like the AC power cord, 20 and 30g calibration weights, platin and powder pour cup. I called RCBS to order the missing parts and they ended up shipping them to me for free. I can print out an instruction sheet online. This is not the first time that RCBS has treated me like this. Their customer service is second to none! I suspect they will keep my new toy going one way or another. /Chris

Boolit Master
    I have two Hornady electronic scales about 3 years old. The original GS-1500 and the LNL bench scale. Both read the same as my Ohaus 10-10 and RCBS 505. I don't use the GS-1500 much but leave the LNL bench scale plugged in all the time. All my loads are handgun and are from 2.5 to 30 grains. When loading at the top of the load data I will check it to one of the beam scales and have never had an off reading yet.

Boolit Bub

I have used a Lyman DPS 3 since they came out, 10 yrs ago ? Expensive but I love it.
    http://www.nra.org/
    MSGT, USAF, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I have used several electronic scale's and all drifted, so now I use a RCBS 505 with check weights for powder charges and use the electronic scale's for bullets and brass.

To help my old eyes I put a 2"x 3" 5 power magnifier in front of the 505 pointer so it is easier to see.
    At least I'm not the only one who has to do this.

It seems like most consumer grade electronic scales promise accuracy +/- one tenth grains. I've used a $20 Franklin Arsenal that works fine. Spent more money on a "nicer" one (closer to $100)...guess what...same results as the cheaper one.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have a cheap mtm case guard and it wanders not much maybe 1/10 of a grain up or down .so will not trust it its the only one I ever used so maybe that's normal don't know. Have a Lyman 505 and a Lee scale . I always go back to the Lee just easiest to use. Use other to to check the Lee but it always checks accurate. And as I say muse easiest for me to use ( personal preference).

Boolit Buddy
    I have RCBS, PACT, GemPro 250, and Accu-Lab Vic 123. As in most things, you get what you pay for but of the four, the GemPro 250 is the best value for the money. The RCBS and PACT never get used anymore.

Gus Youmans

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast